Old 01-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #46
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611
Default Re: Unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley

Yeah, but do you consider Taylor to be close to Calzaghe's level?
No not at Joes level. But we arent gonna delve into A vs B = C here.

I have take into consideration both fighters and their abilities, too many have forgotten about Bernard even at this age. Maybe we should just let them fight and it show you how good Bhop is. It is a competitive fight - Joes pitter patter business vs the tough rough craftiness of Bhop.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #47
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

I think Bernard would cop a pretty hard time against Calzaghe. The workrate of Calzaghe would do it for him. I reckon Calzaghe not only takes this one but also stops Hopkins around the 10th.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #48
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
No not at Joes level. But we arent gonna delve into A vs B = C here.

I have take into consideration both fighters and their abilities, too many have forgotten about Bernard even at this age. Maybe we should just let them fight and it show you how good Bhop is. It is a competitive fight - Joes pitter patter business vs the tough rough craftiness of Bhop.
nah, I'm not tinking A-B-C here, I'm thinking Taylor gave Hopkins fits and Hopkins struggled against him.

Taylor did well because he is young and strong, but he is by no means busy, like Calzaghe.

Calzaghe is bigger than Taylor, has a far busier workrate, and I just can't see Hopkins handling it.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #49
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
I reckon Calzaghe not only takes this one but also stops Hopkins around the 10th.
I'm just copy and pasting this post into a word doc for end of year awards
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #50
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
nah, I'm not tinking A-B-C here, I'm thinking Taylor gave Hopkins fits and Hopkins struggled against him.

Taylor did well because he is young and strong, but he is by no means busy, like Calzaghe.

Calzaghe is bigger than Taylor, has a far busier workrate, and I just can't see Hopkins handling it.
But we agree that this is what Boxing is all about. Two legends in the ring in a mouth watering event.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #51
pecks
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'm just copy and pasting this post into a word doc for end of year awards
No worries, It can go right next to your "I'm out of here for the next 6 months" post.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #52
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
But we agree that this is what Boxing is all about. Two legends in the ring in a mouth watering event.
oh yeah for sure, I don't think Hopkins is too old for this fight to be a good one.

It will be a close fight for sure, a tight battle of wits more than anything else.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #53
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Well there is pet peev for me, telling someone "it shouldnt be about the dollars" Assuming someone is loaded and then telling him (the person who gets hit in the head for a living) it shouldnt be about the dollars

I can agree with your analysis of Joe vs Hopkins but i dont see it as clear cut as you do.
I don't need to assume anything, Mundine's earning are very well known. In one of the recent issues of Alpha infact it stated that he is without question one of the highest paid stars in Australian sport. When you are already a multi millionare some things should be about more then money. Look at guys like Katsidis for example. A TRUE AUSSIE WARRIOR who is willing to take pay cuts in order to face the best. A fighter who is truely fearless and relentless in his quest for glory. He may lose for sure, but at least he won't finish his career with a lot of what ifs.... Face it mate you are just making excuses for the bloke, and are clutching at straws to do so. If Cotto were making matches like this I would be the first one to bag the absolute shit out of him. Its beyond a joke.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #54
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
I dont want him to fight Green but it is a competitive fight (Soliman is not) he should be in while waiting for a better fight. Of course he should going for a Kessler rematch. Everyone makes out it is Mundines fault he cant get the names in the division, ummm i dont see anyone calling him out.

Wind must be blowing a different way today ya windsock. Calling him a Fraud and embarassment to Australia and its boxing when you have been on his nuts from day 1.
I was a genuine supporter after he faced genuine contenders and top level fighters like Kessler, Soliman and Green. He put himself in a position to really make a name for himself within the division. And to be honest I would have supported him as a fighter regardless of win or lose, as long as he was fighting the best. But instead he grabbed his paper belt and has made absolutely no effort to back up any of his claims. He defences have been woeful, and it has proved to me that he was only fighting these other guys out of neccessity. I have absolutely zero respect for Anthony Mundine as a fighter or as a person. His word means nothing, and he has gotten to the point where he will literally sell out anyone or anything (the monarchy, or even aussie and ABORIGINAL legends like Cathy Freeman) in order to make a quick dollar. He has well and truely set himself up financially, if had even a shred of integrity he would pull his head in and try and set an example to so many young aspiring athletes who probably did look up to him at one stage. Instead he is merely content to make a joke of himself. Its sickening.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #55
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
I was a genuine supporter after he faced genuine contenders and top level fighters like Kessler, Soliman and Green. He put himself in a position to really make a name for himself within the division. And to be honest I would have supported him as a fighter regardless of win or lose, as long as he was fighting the best. But instead he grabbed his paper belt and has made absolutely no effort to back up any of his claims. He defences have been woeful, and it has proved to me that he was only fighting these other guys out of neccessity. I have absolutely zero respect for Anthony Mundine as a fighter or as a person. His word means nothing, and he has gotten to the point where he will literally sell out anyone or anything (the monarchy, or even aussie and ABORIGINAL legends like Cathy Freeman) in order to make a quick dollar. He has well and truely set himself up financially, if had even a shred of integrity he would pull his head in and try and set an example to so many young aspiring athletes who probably did look up to him at one stage. Instead he is merely content to make a joke of himself. Its sickening.
Good post!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #56
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
I understand your point but still you're assuming way too much by "well and truly set himself up financially" You dont know his finances, you dont know how many ppl he is looking after. Like i said we shouldnt be telling him how to earn his money especially in this fight game where another loss will prob ruin his career.

You are one of the posters who make jokes about his paper belt but as soon as there is a chance for him to fight for Greens REAL belt
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #57
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
I don't need to assume anything, Mundine's earning are very well known. In one of the recent issues of Alpha infact it stated that he is without question one of the highest paid stars in Australian sport. When you are already a multi millionare some things should be about more then money. Look at guys like Katsidis for example. A TRUE AUSSIE WARRIOR who is willing to take pay cuts in order to face the best. A fighter who is truely fearless and relentless in his quest for glory. He may lose for sure, but at least he won't finish his career with a lot of what ifs.... Face it mate you are just making excuses for the bloke, and are clutching at straws to do so. If Cotto were making matches like this I would be the first one to bag the absolute shit out of him. Its beyond a joke.
Mate i have commented on this subject many times on the board for diff fighters. I dont make excuses.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #58
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
I understand your point but still you're assuming way too much by "well and truly set himself up financially" You dont know his finances, you dont know how many ppl he is looking after. Like i said we shouldnt be telling him how to earn his money especially in this fight game where another loss will prob ruin his career.

You are one of the posters who make jokes about his paper belt but as soon as there is a chance for him to fight for Greens REAL belt
Cmon mate this is complete crap. I couldn't give a shit about the belts. Are you saying you put more stock in a belt then the opponent? Because I sure as hell don't. Mundine has been a pro league player, and a pro boxer for years earning multiple millions. I don't have to be looking at his bank statements to know he isn't exactly hard up for a buck. Regardless, if he said it was about the money that would be fine, but the guy claims that he wants to rule the boxing world, and that its his top priority. Clearly this is NOT true. He is at the end of his career, he has made his money, he has got his titles. He should be looking for fights that define his legacy, not to defend against bums and turn himself into a joke. You are making all the excuses in the world for him.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #59
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Mate i have commented on this subject many times on the board for diff fighters. I dont make excuses.
What rubbish. Name me 3 world or interim world champions who have defended against the competition Mundine has in recent times. Now tell me how you have defended these champions? Are you saying that if Cotto decided to now take on a guy from some 3rd world country who had never EVEN FOUGHT PAST THE 8TH ROUND BEFORE you would consider it legitimate? How about if he then fought a guy of equal level again for his next fight? How about if he then fought a crappy domestic level fighter coming off a loss to a contender (hamden)? If you think that is defendable then I don't know why you even watch boxing. Competitive sport obviously does not interest you in any way shape or form. Maybe world championship wrestling is more your forte? I know you are a massive supporter of his, but its time to take the blinkers off and get a grip on reality. Mundine has no respect for himself as a fighter or as a person. He is content to be a media clown, that makes a mockery of boxing by bribing the sanctioning bodies. If you were truely a fan of Mundine you would be as thoroughly dissapointed as I am with his actions.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #60
pecks
East Side Guru

I agree MSTR, but I wouldn't mind if he fought Green again for a WT, I wouldn't consider that an unworthy fight. It's similar to how Kessler fans want to see him take on Mundine again. However, what I don't agree with is that there will most likely be a long build up to it again, thus giving Mundine the chance to fight 2 more bums in the meantime.

If Green is an option again for Mundine, it should be considered one of his easier options, and a fight that shouldn't warrant a 6 month wait, but sadly, it is not.

Oh how I'd love to see Mundine take on Allan Green in the US. The general forum seem to be hyping him up now, and it'd definitely surprise many there if Mundine was to beat him.
pecks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum