Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Which HW 'ATG' from yesteryear would have been easiest to beat?
Joe Louis 0 0%
Muhammad Ali 0 0%
Jack Johnson 16 51.61%
Larry Holmes 0 0%
George Foreman 0 0%
Lennox Lewis 1 3.23%
Mike Tyson 4 12.90%
Sonny Liston 5 16.13%
Joe Frazier 1 3.23%
Evander Holyfield 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Which HW 'ATG' from yesteryear would have been easiest to beat?

in their respective time period-holyfield

all around-foreman

i see more fighters, from more eras, being able to beat these two
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I'd go for Tyson. As has oft been repeated,his achilles heel was being taken deep into a fight by someone who was actually hitting him back with bad intentions.
“Everybody said he was invincible, but nobody never even threw a single punch at 'em. So I thought, 'Go-on, man, take a poke!' And sure 'nough, he was out cold!” ~ Buster Doublas on Mike Tyson

Read teh rest of teh article Stevie m8 - its all proper funny!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
It would be tempting to say Lewis,as he was stopped by two very average fighters,in Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman. Mind you,as Lewis proved in rematches against both,when he was focused he was a formidable foe. I'd go for Tyson. As has oft been repeated,his achilles heel was being taken deep into a fight by someone who was actually hitting him back with bad intentions.
Neither Tyson nor Lewis were easy.

Truthfully, Tyson is one of the few fighters who I have even money or better against any fighter in history.

As for Lewis?

Larry Merchant once said "...there may be [clinks] in his armor, but look at all that armor."
ironchamp is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i went for Johnson, he was very good in regards to his era but his technique is most certainley lacking compared to the later generations of boxing. Majority of his opponents were significantly smaller than him and he got iced cold by a super middle weight. Also despite fighting smaller men for majority of his career he didn't have much KO's, you may say he was carrying his opponents but he's never been mentioned with the punchers of the era (Langford, Fitzie, Choynski) despite them being alot smaller.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Jack "Hollywood Hobo" Dempsey!!

Why is "The Manassa Myth" not on teh poll??
Blasphemy!! Ritualistic Japanese suicide must be committed to atone for your heathen ways.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I find it astonishing that when listing HW ATG's, Rocky Marciano's name has been omitted from such a list...
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHands(beeb) View Post
I find it astonishing that when listing HW ATG's, Rocky Marciano's name has been omitted from such a list...
Rocky Marciano while a top 10 ATG fighter, typically ranks low when it comes to head to head. The perception is that being that he's a much smaller fighter it's likely that he would be the 'obvious' choice as the most beatable on that list even if it isn't necessarily true.

Omitting him was a great idea because this list really makes you think as opposed to everybody jumping at what is seemingly the most 'obvious' answer.

If Floyd Patterson were there it would be the same thing.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
Ryan O'Reilly
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 7691

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHands(beeb) View Post
Could only fit 10 names in the poll.
Ryan O'Reilly is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #24
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Reilly View Post
Joe Louis
Muhammad Ali
Jack Johnson
Larry Holmes
George Foreman
Lennox Lewis
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield
Sonny Liston
Joe Frazier
Much depends on the style of the fighter. I see one guy on the list who quit 4 times in fights, did not fight the best challengers out there while he was champion, was Ko'd by a super middle weight, floored by another super middle weight, and drew with....you guessed it another super middle weight. The fighter I am thinking of also fouled out of a match, and in many news reports was in poor fights. The choice here is easy, and the classic section nailed it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

People like Cummings, Chuvalo and Stander tried forcing Frazier into retreat on the back foot, attempting to neutralize him with superior physical strength. Joe lost none of those bouts.

I don't see Tyson win in those situations. Nor did he seem remotely formidable as advertised in crucial bouts up the ladder, like Tillis, Green, Smith and Tucker. Those were the first four bouts of Mike's I saw. The next four were Douglas, Ruddock II, Holyfield I & II. If first impressions make lasting impressions, you can understand why I hardly found him as awesome as the press made him out to be. To this day, I believe Old George would have shoved peak Mike all over the ring at arm's length, hammered his low body down with an illegal kidney shot like he did Qawi's, and very possibly made Tyson throw up his hands with disgust and walk out to quit. (By the way, I thought a hopelessly overweight and old but cagey 5'5-1/2" Qawi dealt with Foreman's size, ridiculous strength and punching power a helluva lot better than Mike might have.)

Between 1901 (Choynski) and 1926 (Bob Lawson at age 38, his only conclusive loss was to Willard in Havana, after 26 rounds in 115 degree heat with 100% humidity. That quarter century of time covers 75 bouts. Whatever he was capable of in Reno against Jeffries surely trumps what Tyson could have done with Smith and Tucker.

Obviously a minority opinion, but I think the wrong candidate is running away with the results of this poll.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
People like Cummings, Chuvalo and Stander tried forcing Frazier into retreat on the back foot, attempting to neutralize him with superior physical strength. Joe lost none of those bouts.

I don't see Tyson win in those situations. Nor did he seem remotely formidable as advertised in crucial bouts up the ladder, like Tillis, Green, Smith and Tucker. Those were the first four bouts of Mike's I saw. The next four were Douglas, Ruddock II, Holyfield I & II. If first impressions make lasting impressions, you can understand why I hardly found him as awesome as the press made him out to be. To this day, I believe Old George would have shoved peak Mike all over the ring at arm's length, hammered his low body down with an illegal kidney shot like he did Qawi's, and very possibly made Tyson throw up his hands with disgust and walk out to quit. (By the way, I thought a hopelessly overweight and old but cagey 5'5-1/2" Qawi dealt with Foreman's size, ridiculous strength and punching power a helluva lot better than Mike might have.)

Between 1901 (Choynski) and 1926 (Bob Lawson at age 38, his only conclusive loss was to Willard in Havana, after 26 rounds in 115 degree heat with 100% humidity. That quarter century of time covers 75 bouts. Whatever he was capable of in Reno against Jeffries surely trumps what Tyson could have done with Smith and Tucker.

Obviously a minority opinion, but I think the wrong candidate is running away with the results of this poll.
I think Tyson would have stopped Chuvalo, Cummings and Stander in emphatic fashion. Tyson because he was labeled a special fighter at such an early stage of his career he is easily the most scrutinized fighter on that list.

I for one don't think he's the most beatable and since they are being referred to as fighters from yesteryear the only assumption that can be made is that this is a covert Klitschko vs ______ thread.

From that perspective, it becomes incredibly difficult to pick Mike Tyson. He simply has too much going for him.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

[quote=ironchamp;12327339]

Larry Merchant once said "...there may be [clinks] in his armor, but look at all that armor."[/quote]

Good quote.

Patterson would seem the weakest ATG imo. Great fighter though.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 03-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #28
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

Quote:

XPERT-post m8.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Whatever he was capable of in Reno against Jeffries surely trumps what Tyson could have done with Smith and Tucker.
Seriously, Dave Jaco would have beaten that fossil in ring in Reno. Jeffries at no point in his career was H2H comparable to Smith or Tucker. Just imagine if Smith's greatest challenges were against super-middles rather than beasts like Witherspoon, Holmes and Bruno.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #30
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Seriously, Dave Jaco would have beaten that fossil in ring in Reno. Jeffries at no point in his career was H2H comparable to Smith or Tucker. Just imagine if Smith's greatest challenges were against super-middles rather than beasts like Witherspoon, Holmes and Bruno.
Seamus m8, remember, Jimbo Jeffries had only been Retired for a mere 6 years when he was dug-up with a spade to fight Johnson!!

And unlike anyone Tyson ever beat - Jeffries was a ATG HEAVYWEIGHT And so he is automatically a H2H MONSTER!!!

Old Holmes does NOT count - Because he was 37 when Tyson dug him up, But Jeffries was a spritely young 35.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum