Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85
Default Re: Are there people that rank Mike Tyson above Evander Holyfield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
I can see a case for either 2bh.

I use to be a big hater of Holyfield, for obvious reasons, but recently ive come to admire the man and become great fan.

But Holyfield is kinda inconsistent, i forgive him for losing to Bowe, but he should not really have lost against a guy like Moorer, who i dont really rate that high 2bh.

I pick Tyson to beat any version of Mooorer with relative ease. I also pick Tyson over Bowe too. But thats another story.

Tyson gets a lot of sh*t for his losses and some deservedly so, but when it comes to Evander, its all swept under the carpet and theres always some medical excuse.

But you cant argue with the guy, he has a win over Bowe, 2 over Tyson and a draw with Lewis.
Great post. I too was a Holy/Lewis hater and Tyson jocksniffer but after time I've grown to appreciate all three of them equally and am just glad they made the 80's/90's a great time for boxing. Legends and deservingly so.

BTW I didn't know guys get credited for Draws lol. In the second fight Holy did put up a great effort so I'll give him that much.
techks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Tyson's ahead for me and I think he'd have smashed Bowe in his prime.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #33
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Neck and neck all the way. All the arguments for and against are fantastic.

Holyfield beat better guys. Tyson achieved more in his career.

If ever two guys belonged in the same hw tier, it's these two.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #34
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Well, I count CW when ranking heavies, historically, for reasons I'm sure I wouldn't have to go into. So, when taking in Holy's cruiserweight career I'd find it difficult to place Tyson above him. Without taking into consideration the cruiserweight exploits, it's much more an argument. either way.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #35
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Holyfield clearly. Although it's close Holyfield H2H would beat Tyson IMO. Holyfield has the bigger wins and Bowe was the only person to beat a prime Holyfield. For those foolish fans that say Moorer did then they DKSAB. Boxrec doesn't show the fact that Holyfield was nearly having a heart attack in the ring and all the fair weather fans just see it as Moorer MD Holyfield. Tyson doesnt have that one defining win either. Spinks was a good win but hardly compares to Bowe, Tyson himself x2, Moorer, Foreman and Douglas who beat a 'slightly past prime' Tyson.

In the argument with Lewis I feel he goes just above Holyfield purely due to the depth in Lewis resume. Lewis > Holyfield > Tyson
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #36
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Holyfield went 18-0 (14) overall, 6-0 (5) in CW World Title Fights, and 2-0 (1) vs. Hall of Famer Dwight Qawi prior to moving up to HW. What Holyfield did at CW was pretty much on par with what Tyson did at HW... as a matter of fact Holyfield was Ring Magazine's Fighter of the Year in 1987. Holyfield also beat Carlos DeLeon KO8 and Ossie Ocasio KO11 among others at CW.

He moved up to HW and won his next 10 fights. During this stretch he went 4-0 (2) in HW World Title Fights, and 2-0 vs. Hall of Famers George Foreman and Larry Holmes. He was now 28-0 (22) overall, 10-0 (7) in World Title Fights, and 4-0 (1) vs. Hall of Famers. He had fought undefeated for 8 years and was now 30 years old.

He did a lot more than this but this alone should put him above many fighters.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #37
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tyson won many of his fights in a more dominating and brutal fashion... that's what people remember about Tyson. He beat Hall of Famer (LHW) Michael Spinks in 91 seconds. He beat Carl Williams in 93 seconds. He stopped Trevor Berbick in 2. He stopped Tony Tubbs in 2 rounds. He beat Holmes in 4... Holmes had not fought in 2 years or won a fight in 3 though. He beat a bunch of bums on the way up in brutal fashion. These things don't make him better than Holyfield IMO.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #38
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
Tyson won many of his fights in a more dominating and brutal fashion... that's what people remember about Tyson. He beat Hall of Famer (LHW) Michael Spinks in 91 seconds. He beat Carl Williams in 93 seconds. He stopped Trevor Berbick in 2. He stopped Tony Tubbs in 2 rounds. He beat Holmes in 4... Holmes had not fought in 2 years or won a fight in 3 though. He beat a bunch of bums on the way up in brutal fashion. These things don't make him better than Holyfield IMO.
people are so short sighted. Because Tyson did something out of his prime it only matters if he wins, whereas it doesn't matter if he loses and dis credit whoever beat him

Hell, even when he lost in his prime it doesn't matter and Douglas gets lucky. Then suddenly he wasn't prime.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #39
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
people are so short sighted. Because Tyson did something out of his prime it only matters if he wins, whereas it doesn't matter if he loses and dis credit whoever beat him

Hell, even when he lost in his prime it doesn't matter and Douglas gets lucky. Then suddenly he wasn't prime.

People place a premium on dominance. I dont think anybody is letting Tyson off the hook here.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #40
CocoonOfHorror!
LONG-TIME LURKER!
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 2043

Holyfield lost fighting better guys. Who dominates like Tyson with Holy's competition? Really! Holyfield deserves to be ranked higher. He earned it.
CocoonOfHorror! is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #41
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Tyson was more iconic. If you see his prime (or his great defense years) from 86-89 I give him the nod. Whole career I give to Evander.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum