Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Lion's Den
Posts: 3,285
vCash: 1537
Default Top HW Finishers.

Going on from what Don Boxer, LUF and Mongoose were saying in another thread, i thought i'd do this.

Top big men who knew how to put someone away.


Where would you rank the likes of...

Dempsey
Louis
Marciano
Foreman
Tyson
Lewis etc. etc.

against each other when it came to being ruthless.

Obviously this isn't an ATG thread because there have been many great finishers at hw. But these names are a start and will surely feature heavily.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 03-19-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Louis
Tyson
Dempsey
Marciano
Foreman
Lewis

Louis & Tyson can virtually be flipped, but I gave it to Louis who has class act timely finishes when needed. You really have to bracket the different versions of the Foreman, which makes him tricky to gauge. Lewis could put you away, but really was way too passive at times. In fact, if we're talking about finishing men who a fighter hurt than Lewis has to be the worse. When Lewis was in the mood, he could be as good as anyone, though (Briggs, Grant, Golota, Ruddock). At his worse (Tyson, Tua, Makrovic, Holyfield). I feel at his best I could have him at 4th, and maybe should have him above Foreman but because of his mentality I can't. Dempsey's explosion and legend suggest he was a killer finisher. His Firpo & Willard fights are enough on just film to place him as highly.

Marciano was actually a rather overrated finisher when it came to hurting an opponent and then taking him out. He had Charles numerously hurt in their first bout, particularly in the 6th round. I remember him having hurt him good in the 10th and 15th as well (To his credit, he tried to finish him). The paradox with Marciano is that when he needed a punch he could deliver that one punch knockout. But if he had a man hurt he could get a little over-anxious and just become a non-stop whirlwind. Awful to fighter to face, he really just put a hurting on you but not the most precise puncher and finisher at times. It's not just the Charles fight, though. Marciano had ****ell reeling and the plumpy, tough Englishmen still lasted 8 or 9 rounds. Marciano did a fairly good job finishing Moore. I think Moore was crucially saved by the bell in the 6th or 7th, and Marciano methodically and properly grinded him down. Rocky did a great job of finishing Charles in the second fight, particularly with that dangerous gash over his nose which could've caused him a real issue in potentially losing.

It's tough to gauge Marciano as a lot of his KO's actually came from one punch. Foreman was lethal in destroying fighters, but when hurting the boxer-mover types he seemed to wing away and not really get anything done (Ali, Peralta, Young, etc). Old Foreman just didn't have the speed or ability to finish hurt opposition.

Finishing ability and being ruthless are two different things. Otherwise I'd put Marciano near the top of the list.

Lastly, fighters like Frazier, Liston, and Baer certainly merit a mention. Frazier would rank ahead of Marciano in finishing ability IMHO, and Liston and Baer are right their along Foreman, Lewis, and Marciano. Evander Holyfield wasn't a massive puncher, but when it came to finishing he was a pro.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Lion's Den
Posts: 3,285
vCash: 1537
Default HW Finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Louis
Tyson
Dempsey
Marciano
Foreman
Lewis

Louis & Tyson can virtually be flipped, but I gave it to Louis who has class act timely finishes when needed. You really have to bracket the different versions of the Foreman, which makes him tricky to gauge. Lewis could put you away, but really was way too passive at times. In fact, if we're talking about finishing men who a fighter hurt than Lewis has to be the worse. When Lewis was in the mood, he could be as good as anyone, though (Briggs, Grant, Golota, Ruddock). At his worse (Tyson, Tua, Makrovic, Holyfield). I feel at his best I could have him at 4th, and maybe should have him above Foreman but because of his mentality I can't. Dempsey's explosion and legend suggest he was a killer finisher. His Firpo & Willard fights are enough on just film to place him as highly.

Marciano was actually a rather overrated finisher when it came to hurting an opponent and then taking him out. He had Charles numerously hurt in their first bout, particularly in the 6th round. I remember him having hurt him good in the 10th and 15th as well (To his credit, he tried to finish him). The paradox with Marciano is that when he needed a punch he could deliver that one punch knockout. But if he had a man hurt he could get a little over-anxious and just become a non-stop whirlwind. Awful to fighter to face, he really just put a hurting on you but not the most precise puncher and finisher at times. It's not just the Charles fight, though. Marciano had ****ell reeling and the plumpy, tough Englishmen still lasted 8 or 9 rounds. Marciano did a fairly good job finishing Moore. I think Moore was crucially saved by the bell in the 6th or 7th, and Marciano methodically and properly grinded him down. Rocky did a great job of finishing Charles in the second fight, particularly with that dangerous gash over his nose which could've caused him a real issue in potentially losing.

It's tough to gauge Marciano as a lot of his KO's actually came from one punch. Foreman was lethal in destroying fighters, but when hurting the boxer-mover types he seemed to wing away and not really get anything done (Ali, Peralta, Young, etc). Old Foreman just didn't have the speed or ability to finish hurt opposition.

Finishing ability and being ruthless are two different things. Otherwise I'd put Marciano near the top of the list.

Lastly, fighters like Frazier, Liston, and Baer certainly merit a mention. Frazier would rank ahead of Marciano in finishing ability IMHO, and Liston and Baer are right their along Foreman, Lewis, and Marciano. Evander Holyfield wasn't a massive puncher, but when it came to finishing he was a pro.


Quality post that mate.

Holyfield is a great shout because it's easy to overlook him. But you're spot on he was a clinical finisher when he had his man hurt, he only had to sniff you were hurt and he'd jump on you.

Liston is a favourite of mine and was a great finisher. I like that he stays calm and gives himself room to pick his punches (which were accurate) when he as his man hurt rather than going wild. Cold was Sonny.

Baer another i like and wish there was more 'ring' footage of him. Huge puncher who would'nt let you of the hook when he hurt you, and he'd go to head and body to get the job done. He got dq'd for hitting someone while they were taking a count, hit Schmeling with back handers in his two fisted effort to ko him and a man died at his hands. The man was a finisher.

Fitzsimmons and Jeffries should be mentioned too. But with no footage it's hard to compare.

The smaller faster hw's are more pleasing on the eye to most people like Dempsey, Louis and Tyson, because speed always looks good especially when there's power to go with it. These men have to be more maniacal (for want of a better word) in the way their fight and in the way they finish.

It's what you prefer, the whirlwind of a Dempsey, the bludgeoning of a Foreman or the evil intent of a Tyson.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
Going on from what Don Boxer, LUF and Mongoose were saying in another thread, i thought i'd do this.

Top ten big men who knew how to put someone away.


Where would you rank the likes of (INPO )

Dempsey
Louis
Marciano
Foreman
Tyson
Lewis etc. etc.

against each other when it came to being ruthless.

Obviously this isn't an ATG thread because there have been many great finishers at hw. But these names are a start and will surely feature heavily.
Louis
Dempsey
Fitz
Tyson
Liston
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,462
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Tua
Sanders
Foreman
Tyson
Holyfield
Lewis
Bowe
Vitali
Bruno
Brewster
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Frazier should make this.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

I donīt know about a top 10, but to me Joe Louis is the best......
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

It's easy to look like a great heavyweight finisher when you're knocking over cruiserweights.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Tua
Sanders
Foreman
Tyson
Holyfield
Lewis
Bowe
Vitali
Bruno
Brewster
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,462
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
Frazier should make this.
he didn't escape my mind , he just shouldn't .
thumbing Chuvalo , stopping Stander only due 2 cuts , Quarry due 2 cuts , being a protected fighter , what were his best finishes ? Ellis*2 , Quarry , Mathis and Doug Jones ? he deserves it more than Dempsey does , but not as much as those in my list . If Frazier deserves it , so does Witherspoon , and it is a steep slide .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Tua
Sanders
Foreman
Tyson
Holyfield
Lewis
Bowe
Vitali
Bruno
Brewster
Closer to the truth than many will ever admit.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

This is one list that gets downright weird:

1. Joe Louis
2. Jack Dempsey
3. Mike Tyson
4. Sam Langford
5. Sonny Liston
6. John L Sullivan (likley higher, but we don't know quite what he was finishing)
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Lennox Lewis
9. Bob Fitzsimmons
10. George Foreman
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: HW Finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
Quality post that mate.

Holyfield is a great shout because it's easy to overlook him. But you're spot on he was a clinical finisher when he had his man hurt, he only had to sniff you were hurt and he'd jump on you.

Liston is a favourite of mine and was a great finisher. I like that he stays calm and gives himself room to pick his punches (which were accurate) when he as his man hurt rather than going wild. Cold was Sonny.

Baer another i like and wish there was more 'ring' footage of him. Huge puncher who would'nt let you of the hook when he hurt you, and he'd go to head and body to get the job done. He got dq'd for hitting someone while they were taking a count, hit Schmeling with back handers in his two fisted effort to ko him and a man died at his hands. The man was a finisher.

Fitzsimmons and Jeffries should be mentioned too. But with no footage it's hard to compare.

The smaller faster hw's are more pleasing on the eye to most people like Dempsey, Louis and Tyson, because speed always looks good especially when there's power to go with it. These men have to be more maniacal (for want of a better word) in the way their fight and in the way they finish.

It's what you prefer, the whirlwind of a Dempsey, the bludgeoning of a Foreman or the evil intent of a Tyson.
Well said.

Fitzsimmons and Jeffries are hard to put in the same context. Fitzsimmons seems more like a trap-smith in a Moore-esque fashion than a deadly finisher in a Louis or Dempsey manner. Jeffries also seems more like a grind it out, wear you down type puncher and finisher similar to Marciano, except Marciano was a bigger puncher, and probably had more fury in trying to finish you. Not totally fair to say as there is no real footage of Jeffries exhibiting his finishing ability.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

I don't think you have to knock a fighter out cold to prove you have finishing ability. Frazier finished Ellis right about when Ellis was in deep water their first fight. Frazier battered a game Quarry to end the fight well the first go round. Frazier grinded down and finished Mathis properly when he was ready to go. Frazier hurt Foster and then ended it. Same goes for Ramos. You just don't think to mention Frazier because he wasn't one punch knockout artist. Because he wasn't, I'd say that says MORE about his great finishing ability.

The only argument against him is the Bugner fight, where Joe backed up and showed good sportsmanship to Bugner who was frozen before falling to the canvas.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,430
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top Ten HW Finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
This is one list that gets downright weird:

1. Joe Louis
2. Jack Dempsey
3. Mike Tyson
4. Sam Langford
5. Sonny Liston
6. John L Sullivan (likley higher, but we don't know quite what he was finishing)
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Lennox Lewis
9. Bob Fitzsimmons
10. George Foreman

Dempsey at 2? get out of here Needed 300 punches to put willard away, despite the fact he didn't have to go to his neutral corner. He is not over Tyson and Liston.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013