Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #16
Prince.
24/7 365
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Did the Hopkins-Dawson fight, do anything to change your opinion.....

hopkins is an actor
Prince. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Did the Hopkins-Dawson fight, do anything to change your opinion.....

No. Dawson is simply not good enough, even at this stage of Hopkins' career. The first round showed me nothing.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

I still think its Hopkins fight, give him a few rounds to work Dawson's style out and Hopkins will nullify it and win on points. I do think this is Hopkins last fight though last big performance.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
I still think its Hopkins fight, give him a few rounds to work Dawson's style out and Hopkins will nullify it and win on points. I do think this is Hopkins last fight though last big performance.
Agree, win lose or draw.

Last edited by Flea Man; 03-17-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #20
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=Flea Man;12345279]
Quote:
I still think its Hopkins fight, give him a few rounds to work Dawson's style out and Hopkins will nullify it and win on points. I do think this is Hopkins last fight though last big performance.[/quote]

Agree, win lose or draw.
How do you think history will be looked back on him Flea, say in 10-20 years time?
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #21
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

[quote=Bill C84;12345292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post

How do you think history will be looked back on him Flea, say in 10-20 years time?
He's already regarded highly, and I don't think it will fluctuate too much.

His middleweight era was relatively weak, but he has a few very good wins there, showed a high level of technical acumen and essentially cleared out and ruled the division. That's all you can ask IMO. I don't rate his 'record defences' or whatnot as only a few were as the undisputed champ'.

I don't rate him moving up too much and he was a natural light heavy anyway, but he claimed some major scalps there and became the no.1 in the division (dismissing lineage and assuming that at one point Jones superceded Michalewski) by beating Tarver, and later, Pascal.

The fact he did it at such an advanced age demands he be recognised as a great, even if his ring record isn't packed with scalps of 'greats'. His technical ability looks great in any era, with any choice of film stock

That's a mix of my own opinion as well as what I've seen others say. I don't think it'll be too hard to find balance when it comes to rating Hopkins

The way it's going, he may be one of the last guys to actually be recognised amongst that level of 'great'. I have him anywhere between 40-60, depending on what mood I'm in. He's a top ten middleweight for sure.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #22
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

I tend to agree with everything you said there Flea and I think your right about him being the last fighter of his kind and to reach that level, I look at up and coming fighters and even ''Champions'' and no one stands out.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
I tend to agree with everything you said there Flea and I think your right about him being the last fighter of his kind and to reach that level, I look at up and coming fighters and even ''Champions'' and no one stands out.
Agreed. Sometimes they creep up on ya' though...it'll be good to see.

I am a cynical, moany cunt and a hater though, let's not forget
Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Agreed. Sometimes they creep up on ya' though...it'll be good to see.

I am a cynical, moany cunt and a hater though, let's not forget
and rightfully so.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #25
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Glad someone thinks so
Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Though X didn't have a command of Dawson it looks like the favourite is up in the air but X is so slow that the first round often doesn't tell the whole story. Mid fight to late you have a better idea of what is unfolding.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #27
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Some interesting comments here. Thought I'd bump it ahead of Saturday.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #28
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

Default Re: Did the first Hopkins-Dawson fight, do anything to change your opinion.....

Hopkins is 11/4 to win. Definately value.

I thought Dawson looked to be the boss in there in the first fight (I know, I know) but there's no telling what mindset Dawson will be in this time. He might not be as assertive or just not be as sharp mentally.

Hopkins IMO will take alot from those first couple of rounds, little things he did wrong. Also the fact that Dawson was able to stop him from messing him up the inside by using the forearm. Dwyer mentioned it, and he also mentioned how it was an effective tool for Mayweather against Hatton.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #29
Run Conn, RUN
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Did the first Hopkins-Dawson fight, do anything to change your opinion.....

It is nearly impossible to make any judgement about this fight based on their first. I would argue that the only thing that we can tell is that Hopkins has the ability to frustrate Dawson.
Run Conn, RUN is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #30
FrochFan7
Expert In Stucco
ESB Senior Member

I don't think you can really make an accurate judgement based off the first fight all things considered. After all, even if you disregard the fact that very little action had taken place, this exaggerated viewpoint people have of just how well Dawson started shouldn't mean an awful lot considering Chad's tendency to slow down considerably over the course of the fight. I actually think B-Hop took the first round.

That said, I thought before the last fight and thus think the same before this one that Dawson will win. There was no real point saying it around here for the initial bout though because you'd be crucified for even suggesting you though a defeat was coming Hopkins' way.
FrochFan7 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum