Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Willie Pastrano Footwork

Just take a few minutes to admire this tribute to dancing naster Willie Pastrano! Poetry in motion as they say so often, but this is the real thing..Taken from close but title winning bout with Harold johnson in June '63. You can clearly see how he influenced Ali...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czBnNDb3lXc[/ame]
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
LSDarthMaul

vCash: 500
Default Re: Willie Pastrano Footwork

Yeah,im reading a Muhhamad ALi book,and they talk about how Willie Pastrano got wopped by Ali when Ali was still a teen,I did some research on this guy thinking that he would be a journeymen,turns out this guy is a Hall of Famer.Going to watch some of his fights.
LSDarthMaul is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

I should follow him more I really should. Fits my bill for the typical technically brilliant, smart punch placer I go for. His fight with Johnson is one of my favs. Thanks rc, stuff like this keeps boxing burning in me. It's always the fighters from the ol school gutsy and/or usually technical that brings the fire for boxing in me constantly blazing.
techks is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
I should follow him more I really should. Fits my bill for the typical technically brilliant, smart punch placer I go for. His fight with Johnson is one of my favs. Thanks rc, stuff like this keeps boxing burning in me. It's always the fighters from the ol school gutsy and/or usually technical that brings the fire for boxing in me constantly blazing.
...Pastrano-Johnson is one of my favorite fights, from a purely class act point of view. Pastrano's high water mark.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I always like when Pastrano side steps out lowers his hands and moves his head, he makes liquid look ridged.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pastrano ventured into the heavyweight ranks a few times and was projected as a challenger for both Patterson and Liston.

More than likely...it was Cassius Clay that learned from Pastrano....than the other way around.

Ralph Dupas was also in the same camp.....along with Angelo Dundee and Pastano.

Last edited by Longhhorn71; 03-17-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
More that likely...it was Cassius Clay that learned from Pastrano....than the other way around.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
LSDarthMaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
I dont have the energy to start a discussion but Pastrano got outworked by Ali in sparring,in their first meeting.It's in the book,Ali was still a amateur and he was wanting to spar with Willie,one day after many requests Pastrano sparred with Ali and got beat in sparring,Dundee even said:"Your tired champ" to which Pastrano replied:"Are you kidding me I got whopped" or something like that.

But it may be true,Pastrano was a light-heavyweight while Ali even as a teenager must have been the bigger man,im not saying that Ali didn't learned of him,nor i am trying to start a racial discussion with racists who praise black fighters and talk bad about Marciano,Klitschko,Dempsey,Jeffries and other great white heavyweight fighters.
LSDarthMaul is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
darling dame
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Wiley Willie was as slick as they come. I was 17 saw this live ch.7,Don Dunphy, a lot of people thought johnson robbed but Willie nudged him,I think.
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Willie deserved that decision..I know it can be difficult watching a video of a fight to get the full story, but Pastrano was magic with that jab of his and he had such a great strategy in making Johnson come to him instead of the way most fighters fought Harold. Pastrano was capable of this kind of performance many times over in his career, but his playboy personality kept him from it most of the time. He was a masterful, fast as lightning, skillfull artist in the ring, and he proved it that June night in '63 vs Haold Johnson, IMO. I agree that he influenced Ali profoundly.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

bump
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

While its easy to see how much Ali took from Pastrano (and to a lesser degree Luis Rodriguez) I have no doubt that a young Cassius Clay could give Willie everything he could handle in sparring.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Just take a few minutes to admire this tribute to dancing naster Willie Pastrano! Poetry in motion as they say so often, but this is the real thing..Taken from close but title winning bout with Harold johnson in June '63. You can clearly see how he influenced Ali...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
that brought a tear to my eye, ****ing incredible. can't wait to watch pastrano and johnson in full
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
that brought a tear to my eye, ****ing incredible. can't wait to watch pastrano and johnson in full
cheers Nightcrawler! I knew there were fans of the true art of boxing that would appreciate this thread..as i've said, that fight is one of my favorites...it's a true gem, a Class-A exhibition of boxing's class, by both men, that can never be replicated or even approached by bastard sports like MMA..oh, maybe I've opened a can of worms here..lol,..
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
While its easy to see how much Ali took from Pastrano (and to a lesser degree Luis Rodriguez) I have no doubt that a young Cassius Clay could give Willie everything he could handle in sparring.
Well, LittleRed, do you consider the size and age differential between the two? The weight divisions were created for the very purpose of matching two guys of a similar size..to keep it fair.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum