Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Dark Sider
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 944
vCash: 598
Default Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

JC Chavez has had a LOT of bouts and a style where he had to take some damage to be effective.

What is his health like? Have you heard him talk? Does he have any signs of brain damage?


Thanks.
Dark Sider is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Nobody has said anything to that effect. Usually the signs are slurred speech, chronic difficulty remembering, focusing, etc. I don't Chavez shows any of those signs. Remember: the brain damage often manifests independently of a fighter's style. Many brawlers who were heavily punished throughout their careers never show any signs of damage. Meanwhile, some excellent defensive boxers, who don't get hit much, get damaged. It's genetic, to a degree...the punishment only triggers the expression of the underlying gene.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Dark Sider
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 944
vCash: 598
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Can you cite a news article or study about brain damage being genetic?
Dark Sider is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sider View Post
Can you cite a news article or study about brain damage being genetic?
I could, but I won't. Just do a google search on the subject and you'll probably find the same sources I did. They discovered at some point that boxers with pugilistica dementia carried some gene that is related to the Alzheimer's gene. I don't know how conclusive the research was.

I do recall experts speculating that someday in the future, boxers would have to undergo genetic testing before receiving a license to compete.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
spion
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 693
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
I could, but I won't.
spion is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 4120
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

There r some ppl who never fought professionally (or maybe even at all) and still got brain damaged be it either Parkinson , Alzheimer or other things .
That being said boxing fighters show extremely high occurrence of traffic accidents .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
big man
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Chavez had a very good defense too, which is sometimes forgotten. He was very adept at slipping shots in close and rolling with punches to go with his iron jaw.

From what I've seen he's still in good nick mentally.
big man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big man View Post
Chavez had a very good defense too, which is sometimes forgotten. He was very adept at slipping shots in close and rolling with punches to go with his iron jaw.

From what I've seen he's still in good nick mentally.
Totally agree, much like Duran, Chavez was mighty cute and for many years was defensively sound.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

I read somewhere that Chavez had an abnormally thick cranium..I think he was more adept defensively than many give him credit for being on top of that.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
PrinceVega
帝拳ボクシングジム
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Iron brain
PrinceVega is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Ren
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 741
vCash: 500
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sider View Post
Can you cite a news article or study about brain damage being genetic?
One current theory relates to chromosome 21 in the human gene.


The part of the chromosome 21 that is the problem is a protein called APP. APP is used to repair damaged cells in the brain. If it is abnormal, then the repair work is underpar.

So in a very simplified explanation, if you aint got the right APP, then your brain damage stays with thee. no repair, it just builds up until you seem brain damaged. A boxer with the defect sint going to repair brain cells properly. A boxer without the defect is going to repair brain cells fine.

The theory is supported by studies in mice. And also, you might know that Downs Syndrome sufferers have an abnormal chromosome 21. They also all universally suffer from Alzheimers disease by the age of 40, which is a disease that reflects a lot of the cognitive effects of PD.

Theres other theories too. Bear in mind that the above is a very bare bones explanation, using laymans terms.
Ren is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 4120
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
One current theory relates to chromosome 21 in the human gene.


The part of the chromosome 21 that is the problem is a protein called APP. APP is used to repair damaged cells in the brain. If it is abnormal, then the repair work is underpar.

So in a very simplified explanation, if you aint got the right APP, then your brain damage stays with thee. no repair, it just builds up until you seem brain damaged. A boxer with the defect sint going to repair brain cells properly. A boxer without the defect is going to repair brain cells fine.

The theory is supported by studies in mice. And also, you might know that Downs Syndrome sufferers have an abnormal chromosome 21. They also all universally suffer from Alzheimers disease by the age of 40, which is a disease that reflects a lot of the cognitive effects of PD.

Theres other theories too. Bear in mind that the above is a very bare bones explanation, using laymans terms.
if it's true then i loved this post
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
if it's true then i loved this post
Really? If it is true, it sounds very disturbing.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 4120
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Really? If it is true, it sounds very disturbing.
Whether it's true is all that matters , and if anything then it's relaxing because it means that by simple examinations some ppl would b able 2b spared from serious damage in d future .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez and brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Whether it's true is all that matters , and if anything then it's relaxing because it means that by simple examinations some ppl would b able 2b spared from serious damage in d future .
If it is true, I would not call it relaxing to be told you are going to get a disease that is going to kill you in a pretty ghastly way, and for the moment there is no known cure.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013