Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #46
MURK20
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Educate me on Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
I look forward to some threads you may start, ETM. Welcome aboard.

ETM, I do more reading than posting. These fellas are absolute boxing scholars, so their compliments are something to be proud of. Looking forward to see some of your gems displayed.
MURK20 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #47
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURK20 View Post
ETM, I do more reading than posting. These fellas are absolute boxing scholars, so their compliments are something to be proud of. Looking forward to see some of your gems displayed.
I appreciate it. This is a cool site.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #48
dmille
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The fact that ETM even knows who Ike Williams is puts him head and shoulders above 90% of the posters on ESB

ESB
we knew
about ZOO
before you
dmille is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #49
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Lookiing at Robinson`s early record the fights that are really impressive are the Zivic fights. SRR was very young maybe 20 years old. Zivic was a recently detroned Welterweight Champion.Back when being a Champion really meant something. About a year into his pro career he takes on Zivic and beats him not once but twice including a knockout in the second bout.

Hard to think of a reasonable comparision. Maybe Ray Leonard taking on Carlos Palomino about 1977? Knocking him out. Ali taking on Patterson in 1961. He might have done it but he may not have been ready at that point.
I think it's especially notable when you think of all the cases where a talented young fighter with not enough experience has been thrust in there with a veteran, (especially one who fights as dirty as Zivic) and it has turned into a complete ****ing disaster for the younger fighter. (Think Duran vs Davey Moore.)

When Ray Robinson does it, not only did he kick ass, but it's one of his less talked about accomplishments.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #50
dmille
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
I think it's especially notable when you think of all the cases where a talented young fighter with not enough experience has been thrust in there with a veteran, (especially one who fights as dirty as Zivic) and it has turned into a complete ****ing disaster for the younger fighter. (Think Duran vs Davey Moore.)

When Ray Robinson does it, not only did he kick ass, but it's one of his less talked about accomplishments.
Think Duran-Moore AND
Campos-Marquez
Hamsho-Czyz
Czyz-Maynard
Rubio-Lemieux
dmille is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #51
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

In this thread I ask what I fell are fair questions about Robinson's middleweight career.
Post #31 & Post #36.
By attacking my thread you are excusing his losses.
Huge difference between making excuses for a fighter's losses and thinking your thread was utter ****e.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #52
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Zivic times 2 as a one year pro is a very-very mind boggling indication of this stellar fighters abilities.

Zivics comments in re Charlie Burley chanses vs Robinson....zilch!!...is yet another.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #53
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Robinson, Conn and Burley all talked about Zivic as the learning opponent of their careers.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #54
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

And much bigger Jake LaMotta talked about getting very fuked up by him.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #55
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbot View Post
I apologize if this thread was made before but i could not find it.
I am new to boxing and i don't know much about him. I did some work with boxrec but thats just "on paper material".
What made him so great ? (please don't talk abut athleticism).
What were those great wins that put him down in history as the greatest ?
Bad, I am one of the few still kicking to have seen the greatest all around fighter EVER in his prime...Saw him several times at his best . He had to be seen to be truly appreciated...To give a small example of Ray Robinson's prowess, In Ray's first year he defeated ,the great rough and wily veteran Fritzie Zivic twice...In his first year...Amazing feat.
I once saw Fritzie Zivic a few years after when he was 32 years old,facing a young dynamic Knockout artist from Philly called Billy Arnold...Billy Arnold had about 43kos in 45 bouts if I can recollect, and was called the "New Joe Louis". We at MSG in 1945, felt sorry for the old veteran Zivic, who upset the applecart and gave Billy Arnold a boxing lesson... To think that Ray Robinson 3 years earlier stopped Fritzie Zivic, when Robby was fighting
pro for but one year, is an indication of the greatness of the best fighter I ever saw...Hands down...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #56
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
To give a small example of Ray Robinson's prowess, In Ray's first year he defeated ,the great rough and wily veteran Fritzie Zivic twice...In his first year...Amazing feat.
This is definitely impressive.....
Some young fans look at Zivicīs numbers with 65 losses and donīt understand how good he was at that time, a rough and tough era.....and how hard was fight against him....because Zivic knew every trick of the game, his effectiveness was based on his tricks, it was all about his experience and smartness...and even so a green SRR beat Zivic, thatīs certainly special.....and speaks volumes about Rayīs own smartness....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #57
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think it's especially notable when you think of all the cases where a talented young fighter with not enough experience has been thrust in there with a veteran, (especially one who fights as dirty as Zivic).
Thats true. Well put.

Also remember the mindset was different in those days. A loss wasnt looked at as the end of the world. A fighter could take a chance and if he lost it was viewed as a learning experiance. Billy Conn once said that if a fighter didnt have at least one loss going into a title shot he wasnt ready.

Today fighters protect that 0 even if it means not learning their trade completley.

Robinson`s consistancy at Welterweight is one of the most amazing achievements in the history of sports.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #58
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
This is definitely impressive.....
Some young fans look at Zivicīs numbers with 65 losses and donīt understand how good he was at that time, a rough and tough era.....and how hard was fight against him....because Zivic knew every trick of the game, his effectiveness was based on his tricks, it was all about his experience and smartness...and even so a green SRR beat Zivic, thatīs certainly special.....and speaks volumes about Rayīs own smartness....
Yes,Fritzie had a bag of rough tricks. He could make his opponent damage HIMSELF. When an opponent covered his jaw and face, Zivic would shoot a barrage of uppercuts to his opponents elbows,which would result in his foe's gloves walloping his own protected jaw...CLEVER !!!
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #59
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holly mims would smooth box bassillio or graziano outta dare!!
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #60
Badbot
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Bad, I am one of the few still kicking to have seen the greatest all around fighter EVER in his prime...Saw him several times at his best . He had to be seen to be truly appreciated...To give a small example of Ray Robinson's prowess, In Ray's first year he defeated ,the great rough and wily veteran Fritzie Zivic twice...In his first year...Amazing feat.
I once saw Fritzie Zivic a few years after when he was 32 years old,facing a young dynamic Knockout artist from Philly called Billy Arnold...Billy Arnold had about 43kos in 45 bouts if I can recollect, and was called the "New Joe Louis". We at MSG in 1945, felt sorry for the old veteran Zivic, who upset the applecart and gave Billy Arnold a boxing lesson... To think that Ray Robinson 3 years earlier stopped Fritzie Zivic, when Robby was fighting
pro for but one year, is an indication of the greatness of the best fighter I ever saw...Hands down...
He was more amazing then i imagined.
Thanks guys
Just started looking at tapes of him.
Badbot is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum