Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Will Wlad Klit make the 10 extra Title Defenses needed to BREAK Louis's record???
Hell Yes!! 9 34.62%
Hell no! 17 65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #61
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can Wlad Break Joe Louisís Record Of 25 Title Defences? Manny Steward says he ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Wlad beat the number 1 ranked hw in byrd anyways.
Now tell us where Wlad was ranked when he did.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #62
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Can Wlad Break Joe Louisís Record Of 25 Title Defences? Manny Steward says he ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Oh? Tell me who...
Hint: His first name rhymes with dilly-dally.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #63
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Now tell us where Wlad was ranked when he did.
Higher than bell was ranked when him and ray fought for the vacant ww championship

The one person you think could beat wlad, has effectively removed himself from consideration.

Maybe wlad hasn't earned the stonehands lineal championship but he's the number 1 hw in the world and that's I care about.

The man makes the belt and not the other way round
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #64
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Hint: His first name rhymes with dilly-dally.

Vitali...okay, I agree with you. Vitali is better than Vlad, largely because of superior durability and more cojones (by far). But is it realistic to expect two brothers in pro boxing to fight each other?

Maybe some of Zivic brothers did it (I'm guessing), but it's unusual...very unusual.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #65
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Yes, especially in this era, where the concept of "lineal champion" is largely dead. It's time for new thinking, too, because "lineal champions" will become increasingly rare in upcoming years.

Today, the man does indeed make the belt in pro boxing.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #66
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Higher than bell was ranked when him and ray fought for the vacant ww championship
Good shot! You *!#$ bum!

I prefer that the championship be claimed by combat, but allow for general acclaim in the era before the rise of the WBA and the WBC. The NBA, NYSAC, and the press recognized Robinson-Bell as for the world title, so it passes.

Quote:
The one person you think could beat wlad, has effectively removed himself from consideration.

Maybe wlad hasn't earned the stonehands lineal championship but he's the number 1 hw in the world and that's I care about.

Granted, Wlad is the PREMIERE HEAVYWEIGHT today. And yes, man makes belts to hold pants up...but the throne is empty.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #67
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post

Vitali...okay, I agree with you. Vitali is better than Vlad, largely because of superior durability and more cojones (by far). But is it realistic to expect two brothers in pro boxing to fight each other?

Maybe some of Zivic brothers did it (I'm guessing), but it's unusual...very unusual.
The circumstances we are faced with today is unusual. Had not so much been at stake, I'd be fine with them not fighting, but as it is, there is no excuse. Mama Klitschko is holding boxing hostage.

Someone text Vitali and tell him to retire just long enough for Wlad to fight the new #1 and I'll shut up forever about this.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #68
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Good shot! You *!#$ bum!

I prefer that the championship be claimed by combat, but allow for general acclaim in the era before the rise of the WBA and the WBC. The NBA, NYSAC, and the press recognized Robinson-Bell as for the world title, so it passes.

Granted, Wlad is the PREMIERE HEAVYWEIGHT today. And yes, man makes belts to hold pants up...but the throne is empty.
Holding pryor era's to a lower standard surely defeats the objective of consistency?

Appealing to my premiere labels! It is you now who is the *!#$ bum!

Whether it's the stonehands throne, the lufcrazy premiere fighter, the undisputed champion, the cbz lineal champion, the ring champion, the alpha champion or the super dooper champion, the importance is what it represents imo. Can wlad fight as many consecutive ranked opponents, whilst rated number 1, as louis did? I don't think he will. 3 years max till he retires or slips.

I think we're at a never ending impasse on this topic to be honest, however, I'm interested in your thoughts on cunningham v hernandez though, does that qualify for your system? Technically it was 1 v 2.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #69
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Holding pryor era's to a lower standard surely defeats the objective of consistency?
It isn't clean, but nothing is. I'm okay with it because it was necessary in the pre-Walker era and the golden era had a real, true "universality" that today is only imaginative.

Quote:
Appealing to my premiere labels! It is you now who is the *!#$ bum!

Whether it's the stonehands throne, the lufcrazy premiere fighter, the undisputed champion, the cbz lineal champion, the ring champion, the alpha champion or the super dooper champion, the importance is what it represents imo. Can wlad fight as many consecutive ranked opponents, whilst rated number 1, as louis did? I don't think he will. 3 years max till he retires or slips.

I think we're at a never ending impasse on this topic to be honest, however, I'm interested in your thoughts on cunningham v hernandez though, does that qualify for your system? Technically it was 1 v 2.
Yes. Hernandez has since been entered as Haye's successor. Sonny Boy Jaro is another new addition.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #70
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
It isn't clean, but nothing is. I'm okay with it because it was necessary in the pre-Walker era and the golden era had a real, true "universality" that today is only imaginative.
I would disgree there:

Queensberry Rules have always had trouble defining their World Champions. It is a bit of a myth to suggest there was this golden period of only eight divisions, each with one World Champ. Well actually, that is not strictly true, there was a golden period, in 1948 and 1949. Then there was only eight divisions (130 and 140 had temporarily ceased), and each division had a universally recognized champion. The only time since 1882 that, that has happened in boxing.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #71
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

If we want to be justifiably picky, all rival ABC beltholder title defenses occurring before World Champ Lennox retired are void with their cute counter claims of being "The Champ". Wlad unified in '09 against Chagaev, despite what crap the WBA pulled. So from that point on, as Ring, IBF, WBO, & rightful WBA champion, Wlad was surely The Man. I know he really should've fought Vitali to leave no doubts, but if their mum absolutely won't let them fight, we've got to respect that as a insurmountable barrier to them fighting. Basically then, it's basically impossible for Wlad to rack up 26 title defenses as The Champ. However, can Wlad compile a greatly respectable 26 defenses as a beltholder, with 14 of those being The Man? I would confidently say yes, provided he heeds Stewards' advice & defends three times a year from now until retirement, rather than once or twice a year. I would also hope he snaps up the WBC belt the moment Vitali retires, even if it means facing Stiverne, who is surely less pathetic a challenger than a 40 year old Shot Mormeck.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #72
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

It appears Hook posted this in the General too, let's look at the contrasting poll results...

Quote:
View Poll Results: Will Wlad Klit make the 10 extra Title Defenses needed to BREAK Louis's record???
Hell yes! 57 66.28%
Hell no! 29 33.72%
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #73
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Looking at it from a genetic heritage point of view his brother when at 36 the same age as Wladimir now has managed to beat since that age all of the below very comfortably.

Samuel Peter, Juan Carlos Gomez, Chris Arreola, Kevin Johnson, Albert Sosnowski, Shannon Briggs, Odlanier Solis, Tomasz Adamek, Dereck Chisora.

Which is 9 scalps. So it seems feasible that his biological clock should be able to hold out. But it's pointless looking so far ahead in the heavyweight division, one punch can change everything. This is not the welterweight division filled with feather fisted dwarfs after all.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #74
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Here's a nice new Wlad Tribute, posted today in the General:

BORKED

Made by this guy: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #75
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Default Re: Can Wlad Break Joe Louis’s Record Of 25 Title Defences? Manny Steward says he ca

Long shot .. he is getting older and health and injuries are adding to his recent inactivity ... if he goes on a bum of the month tour and fights every three months but I don't see the motivation ...
he grant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum