boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Zero90

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who was the #1 contender when Rocky Marciano fought Ezzard Charles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
"The IBC was hoping that Ezzard Charles would get picked off."

What is the proof of this? If this is true, why did they match Charles with Marciano?

It seems to me that Charles was much easier to sell at the box office than Valdes, which would matter to a promotion group.
Ezzard was a much bigger name, but he was also viewed as being dull to watch, so it evens out a bit.

Luckily, "dull" was one thing neither man was in the Marciano/Charles fights, IMO.
Zero90 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
edward morbius
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero90 View Post
Ezzard was a much bigger name, but he was also viewed as being dull to watch, so it evens out a bit.

Luckily, "dull" was one thing neither man was in the Marciano/Charles fights, IMO.
"viewed as being dull to watch"

How many of Valdes' filmed fights have you viewed? The Baker-Valdes fight in 1955 was considered a very dull fight.

On the original question, over at Boxrec they have an article from the Milwaukee Sentinal on October 7, 1954, that the NBA had named Valdes as the logical contender for Marciano's title. Apparently the NBA named a "logical" contender as well as outstanding fighters. Valdes was named the logical contender in October, 1954, with Charles, ****ell, and Slade named as outstanding boxers.

This article also contained this line

"Former Champion Ezzard Charles, now named at the top of the outstanding heavyweights, was designated the only contender before his first bout with Marciano last June."

**My take is Valdes should have gotten the May, 1955 shot over ****ell, but Charles and Moore were better contenders--Moore obviously so.
edward morbius is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Some felt Charles beat Johnson and Valdes. Anyway, Nino wouldn't have had a chance vs. Marciano.
Hookie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:

How many of Valdes' filmed fights have you viewed? The Baker-Valdes fight in 1955 was considered a very dull fight.

On the original question, over at Boxrec they have an article from the Milwaukee Sentinal on October 7, 1954, that the NBA had named Valdes as the logical contender for Marciano's title. Apparently the NBA named a "logical" contender as well as outstanding fighters. Valdes was named the logical contender in October, 1954, with Charles, ****ell, and Slade named as outstanding boxers.

"Former Champion Ezzard Charles, now named at the top of the outstanding heavyweights, was designated the only contender before his first bout with Marciano last June."

**My take is Valdes should have gotten the May, 1955 shot over ****ell, but Charles and Moore were better contenders--Moore obviously so.
Maybe Valdes should have gotting the shot over ****ell.
But after back to back wins over Walcott, a return with number 1 contender LaStarza, and than back to back battles with Ezzard Charles, you think the guy earn the right of a easy defense??

No one gets onto Ali or Louis for there Paychecks or Wepner type of defenses??
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this investigation so I know whether to increase my rating of rocky or not!

The guy's legacy is relying on this!
Wrong! His legacy is fine no matter what.

Nino is a bit overrated IMO. Take away the win over Ezzard Charles and take a look at his resume again. He was easily outboxed by Harold Johnson, Archie Moore x2, Bob Satterfield, Bob Baker, he was decisioned by a young Eddie Machen and knocked out by Machen in a rematch, he was outboxed by Zora Folley, and others. So, when was he ducked exactly? Even if he was, so what? He had no chance vs. Marciano.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Nino Valdes had two things,,,,,,,, a powerful left hook,,,,and a vulnerable jaw.

And his manager Bobby Gleason was excellent in promoting the Cuban Heavyweight.

Quick-hitting fighters gave him the most trouble, not big but slow plodders.

His victory over Ezzard Charles in 1953 saved his career, and Bobby Gleason
milked it as long as he could.

Though he didn't get a chance at Rocky Marciano's title, he was considered a
possible challenger for Floyd Patterson's title.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #22
SuzieQ49
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
----

Marciano fought Charles in mid-1954 for the first time. Who was the #1 contender at that moment?

Some say that Charles was the #1 contender.

Here is your final answer

The Ring's heavyweight ratings for May 1954 were as follows:

(Ratings dated May 20)
Champion: Rocky Marciano

1. Ezzard Charles
2. Nino Valdes
3. Don Cokkell
4. Jimmy Slade
5. Tommy Jackson
6. Roland La Starza
7. Dan Bucceroni
8. Earl Walls
9. Heinz Neuhaus
10. Tommy Harrison
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #23
scartissue
Belt holder
ESB Addict

1953-11-15 : Nino Valdes beat Heinz Neuhaus by KO in round 4 of 10
Location: Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

"Nino Valdes of Cuba demanded top rating among heavyweight contenders today because of his impressive victories over European champion Heinz Neuhaus, Sunday, and ex-world champion Ezzard Charles on August 11th. The kayo - at 2:10 of the 4th round - was witnessed by 19,000 fans here in the huge indoor Westfalen Halle. Most of the fans were bitterly disappointed when they saw Neuhaus suffer the first kayo in his career of 33 professional fights. They had figured him a potential world champion." -United Press

*This victory elevated Valdes to #1 contender in Ring Magazine's heavyweight ratings.

Post fight comments

"Even by virtue of this knockout of Neuhaus we still don't think he's ready to go against Rocky Marciano. A victory or two more like that and he will be placed in the 'logical contender' bracket. He will have to lick someone up a little bit higher to get in that 'logical contenders' class. Nevertheless, we'll give him credit for a good win." -Fred Saddy, chairman of the NBA ratings committee

"If Rocky Marciano no take me for challenger now, people will think it very funny." -Nino Valdes

Found this and thought it pertinent to the thread. I guess everything really depends on whose ratings your looking at. Ring Mag's #1, but apparently the NBA did not hold him in high esteem. That Fred Saddy's comments about fighting someone higher is perplexing, because who was higher? I would have loved to have seen their ratings too for a comparison. All in all, of course Nino Valdes could have and should have fought either Marciano or Patterson for the title. He certainly was an imposing figure, which could have made a few managers hesitant, but he was a bit erratic. Don't think he would have beaten Rocky or Floyd but I do think he was deserving. Of course, boxing history is littered with guys who were deserving but didn't get their break.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #24
The Mongoose
I honor my bets
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Charles was #1 when Marciano fight was signed. This has been established in other threads where every ring mag rating for 53 and 54 was posted.

Valdes lost the top spot after a poor showing against McBride as shown above by the May listings,

Last edited by The Mongoose; 06-11-2015 at 11:37 AM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #25
SuzieQ49
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
1953-11-15 : Nino Valdes beat Heinz Neuhaus by KO in round 4 of 10
Location: Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

"Nino Valdes of Cuba demanded top rating among heavyweight contenders today because of his impressive victories over European champion Heinz Neuhaus, Sunday, and ex-world champion Ezzard Charles on August 11th. The kayo - at 2:10 of the 4th round - was witnessed by 19,000 fans here in the huge indoor Westfalen Halle. Most of the fans were bitterly disappointed when they saw Neuhaus suffer the first kayo in his career of 33 professional fights. They had figured him a potential world champion." -United Press

*This victory elevated Valdes to #1 contender in Ring Magazine's heavyweight ratings.

Post fight comments

"Even by virtue of this knockout of Neuhaus we still don't think he's ready to go against Rocky Marciano. A victory or two more like that and he will be placed in the 'logical contender' bracket. He will have to lick someone up a little bit higher to get in that 'logical contenders' class. Nevertheless, we'll give him credit for a good win." -Fred Saddy, chairman of the NBA ratings committee

"If Rocky Marciano no take me for challenger now, people will think it very funny." -Nino Valdes

Found this and thought it pertinent to the thread. I guess everything really depends on whose ratings your looking at. Ring Mag's #1, but apparently the NBA did not hold him in high esteem. That Fred Saddy's comments about fighting someone higher is perplexing, because who was higher? I would have loved to have seen their ratings too for a comparison. All in all, of course Nino Valdes could have and should have fought either Marciano or Patterson for the title. He certainly was an imposing figure, which could have made a few managers hesitant, but he was a bit erratic. Don't think he would have beaten Rocky or Floyd but I do think he was deserving. Of course, boxing history is littered with guys who were deserving but didn't get their break.
I already answered the question with hard concrete evidence. Charles was the number one contender when he fought Marciano. Not Valdes
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #26
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Charles did have that reputation in some fights.It was mentioned after he stopped Layne how uncharacteristically aggressive he was.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #27
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Okay...so that explains why Marciano never fought Valdes. Funny how, from time to time, people start threads to the effect of "Marciano feared Valdes and ducked him...etc., etc."
It is often said that Marciano's management feared Valdes .
I don't know if it is true.but I'm pretty positive Marciano didn't fear him ,or anyone else.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #28
scartissue
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I already answered the question with hard concrete evidence. Charles was the number one contender when he fought Marciano. Not Valdes
Just adding to the conversation here, dude, that's all. But realistically, a bit too much is being placed on being the number one contender or the number two contender or what have you. I don't believe LaStarza or ****ell were number one, but probably both in the top five and I'm good with that. Should Valdes have gotten a title shot? I think he was deserving but he didn't get it against Rocky or Floyd and if one takes time to read into it, one can come up with a lot of scenarios. Was Valdes too good? As I said before, I think he was imposing but erratic. I think both Rock and Floyd would beat him, but he could make it tough on them. Was Bobby Goodman an issue? As someone mentioned, he seemed to have some clout, but he also (just from what I've read) might have been a little Rock Newman/Norman Stone. By that I mean so loud and so out there that no one wanted to deal with him. I don't know, I'm ignorant on the era and the man, so I don't know what was taking place that froze Nino out.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #29
The Mongoose
I honor my bets
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Just adding to the conversation here, dude, that's all. But realistically, a bit too much is being placed on being the number one contender or the number two contender or what have you. I don't believe LaStarza or ****ell were number one, but probably both in the top five and I'm good with that. Should Valdes have gotten a title shot? I think he was deserving but he didn't get it against Rocky or Floyd and if one takes time to read into it, one can come up with a lot of scenarios. Was Valdes too good? As I said before, I think he was imposing but erratic. I think both Rock and Floyd would beat him, but he could make it tough on them. Was Bobby Goodman an issue? As someone mentioned, he seemed to have some clout, but he also (just from what I've read) might have been a little Rock Newman/Norman Stone. By that I mean so loud and so out there that no one wanted to deal with him. I don't know, I'm ignorant on the era and the man, so I don't know what was taking place that froze Nino out.

LaStarza was in fact #1, he beat layne who had just beat Charles. Cokell was #2, The only time Rocky did not meet his #1...however it was a test for his new nose and after a layoff, and a Valdes fight would have took place on the east coast that fall, but he lost to Moore.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #30
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
LaStarza was in fact #1, he beat layne who had just beat Charles. Cokell was #2, The only time Rocky did not meet his #1...however it was a test for his new nose and after a layoff, and a Valdes fight would have took place on the east coast that fall, but he lost to Moore.
I don't think his choice to take on the #2 contender needs to be defended, which some people sometimes do. Taking on your #2 contender is perfectly reasonable. If your last fight was against your #1 contender, it's more than reasonable, it's great.
McGrain is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum