Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Billy Petrolle vs Alexis Arguello

Petrolle outworks Alexis for a decision win. Arguello stops him dead in his tracks a few times along the way but Billy, who is no stranger to power punchers, collects himself and bores right back in as he always did.

Petrolle is the stronger, busier and more rugged fighter.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Yep...I agree with you Surf......a guy busier and stronger is definitely a bad combination to Arguello to face....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

This one goes the championship distance. If it was stopped, Billy was halted a couple times by damage to his eyes, and Alexis could certainly inflict that kind of injury.

However, I think the difference here is the combination of Arguello's height, optimal use of reach, and refined boxing skills. Vilomar Fernandez and the wildly unpredictable Pryor were able to screw him up with movement, while I expect the Fargo Express to go right after him, like Ganigan and Elizondo tried to do. Remember, Alexis was a counterpuncher, so Billy might play right into his hands. Mancini might offer a clue as well to what Arguello-Petrolle might resemble.

Certainly, Billy could pull off a knockdown or two, but it's not as if Alexis never got up to win in those situations. I think this one ultimately comes down to skill and technique. As tough a scrapper and hard a puncher as Petrolle was, I think Arguello's class makes the difference against a more orthodox performer than Pryor and Fernandez were.

Enormous respect for the Express, who uniquely stopped Battalino, was the first to stop Berg (nearly three years before Canzi turned the trick), and decisioned Canzi and McLarnin, but I believe El Flaco Explosivo is a bridge too far for Billy.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
This one goes the championship distance. If it was stopped, Billy was halted a couple times by damage to his eyes, and Alexis could certainly inflict that kind of injury.

However, I think the difference here is the combination of Arguello's height, optimal use of reach, and refined boxing skills. Vilomar Fernandez and the wildly unpredictable Pryor were able to screw him up with movement, while I expect the Fargo Express to go right after him, like Ganigan and Elizondo tried to do. Remember, Alexis was a counterpuncher, so Billy might play right into his hands. Mancini might offer a clue as well to what Arguello-Petrolle might resemble.

Certainly, Billy could pull off a knockdown or two, but it's not as if Alexis never got up to win in those situations. I think this one ultimately comes down to skill and technique. As tough a scrapper and hard a puncher as Petrolle was, I think Arguello's class makes the difference against a more orthodox performer than Pryor and Fernandez were.

Enormous respect for the Express, who uniquely stopped Battalino, was the first to stop Berg (nearly three years before Canzi turned the trick), and decisioned Canzi and McLarnin, but I believe El Flaco Explosivo is a bridge too far for Billy.
A great post, Duo. One so well thought out that I won't even offer a rebuttal. But one thing to remember--Alexis had that long, skinny upper body and you could count those ribs right through his skin. Petrolle liked nothing better than to apply rib-crakkers and was known for his debilitating body attack. I wonder how long Arguello could take those body clouts, which Petrolle is sure to land on him (as he did everyone else)?
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
A great post, Duo. One so well thought out that I won't even offer a rebuttal. But one thing to remember--Alexis had that long, skinny upper body and you could count those ribs right through his skin. Petrolle liked nothing better than to apply rib-crakkers and was known for his debilitating body attack. I wonder how long Arguello could take those body clouts, which Petrolle is sure to land on him (as he did everyone else)?
Certainly guys like Mancini, Ganigan and Elizondo attempted this (Boom-Boom over the long haul, only to fade himself), but Arguello's thinness was as deceptive in discerning susceptibilities as a muscular physique can be in predicting physical strength, punching power and durability. The man was wiry and extremely TOUGH. Ganigan wailed him with a tremendous right hook to the side immediately preceding Andy's straight left knockdown, but Alexis got right back up, and shortly punched out the Hawaiian with his own body assault.

Watch Mancini's fourth round knockdown of Al Clay. (This was the first time I saw Ray on television.) It came from an attack downstairs. Boom-Boom then went into crazy headhunter mode against the steel chinned Clay, and vowed in the post fight interview that from then on, "I'm going to keep on that body!" But time and again, Arguello later blunted Mancini's rush to the inside with blocks like hooks to Ray's chest and other deterrents. Getting to El Flaco's body wasn't that easy, and we're discussing a fantasy match where Alexis is ten pounds over what he was for Olivares. He was certainly far more established in his proven ability to withstand body shots than say, Marvin Johnson (Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and Michael Spinks), Tommy Hearns (SRL I and Hagler), or Hilmer Kenty (O'Grady and Elizondo). During the substantive portion of his career, nobody ever defeated him on the strength of a body attack.

It's not as if Billy's own body won't be taking punishment. Arguello may have been the best tall man ever at doing this to shorter opponents. (Royal Kobayashi with the left hook, Ganigan with the right uppercut to the solar plexus, and Mancini being prominent youtube examples.) The stereotypical notion of belaboring the tall skinny guy inside didn't usually work with him, not with the hooks, lead left uppercuts and right uppercuts in his arsenal. He had Pryor on the ropes in their rematch, and was hammering him to the body. The Hawk was holding Alexis's head down, and pretending to laugh it off when the referee separated them and penalized Arguello for low blows. The camera was then on referee Richard Steele and Alexis as Steele deducted the points to the judges. Ringsider reporters though noted that while his cup appeared to afford full protection to his groin, some legal body shots appeared to hurt Aaron, and he took advantage of the penalty respite to step back and take a big deep breath. Apparently, this moment was the most serious trouble he was in during Pryor-Arguello II.

Unfortunately, Duran-Arguello never took place, or we could be able to far better assess what effect Petrolle's rib-crakkers might have worked on Alexis.
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum