Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default What a hiding Watson gave Eubank in II

"Battered...literally, battered. I was out-boxed, out-thought. I was out-fought, out-manuevered, out-strengthed."

-Chris Eubank.

Watson really gave him a hiding.

The first fight was regarded as the British press, for the most part, as a horrific robbery...then this in the second fight. We all know what came after, but for 8 or 9 rounds there, Watson was up with the very best between 160 and 168 that this country has produced IMO.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: What a hiding Watson gave Eubank in II

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
"Battered...literally, battered. I was out-boxed, out-thought. I was out-fought, out-manuevered, out-strengthed."

-Chris Eubank.

Watson really gave him a hiding.

The first fight was regarded as the British press, for the most part, as a horrific robbery...then this in the second fight. We all know what came after, but for 8 or 9 rounds there, Watson was up with the very best between 160 and 168 that this country has produced IMO.

i have not yet seen this fight, as for the longest time I as turned off by the prospect of watching a fight in which I knew one fighter got very seriously hurt or killed. I've since seen Mancini-Kim, Ramos-Moore, and Griffith-Paret III and it was okay to see them. This one is on my short list.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Seeing the first fight first is probably the thing to do. You wouldn't be sorry investing that much time, I promise.

When I watch the second fight I only watch the first ten rounds.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
i have not yet seen this fight, as for the longest time I as turned off by the prospect of watching a fight in which I knew one fighter got very seriously hurt or killed. I've since seen Mancini-Kim, Ramos-Moore, and Griffith-Paret III and it was okay to see them. This one is on my short list.
If you were okay with those fights, you should be okay with Eubank-Watson 2. Watson did recover and walked a marathon with Eubank a couple years ago.

I have little interest in seeing fights that resulted in death. I've seen the endings of Mancini-Kim and Griffith-Paret 3 but don't care to see the whole fight. I watched Montiel-Alcazar years after the fight and had no idea til later that Alcazar died after it.

The only ring death fight I'll watch in full is Drago-Creed.
Thread Stealer is online now  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I actually thought Watson/Eubank II was quite close. Watson was winning with his Fenech-esque performance, but it was a close, competitive fight throughout.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
If you were okay with those fights, you should be okay with Eubank-Watson 2. Watson did recover and walked a marathon with Eubank a couple years ago.

I have little interest in seeing fights that resulted in death. I've seen the endings of Mancini-Kim and Griffith-Paret 3 but don't care to see the whole fight. I watched Montiel-Alcazar years after the fight and had no idea til later that Alcazar died after it.

The only ring death fight I'll watch in full is Drago-Creed.
Great to hear he's doing that well, I wasn't aware! Okay then, it's settled. I'll watch the thing.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
I actually thought Watson/Eubank II was quite close. Watson was winning with his Fenech-esque performance, but it was a close, competitive fight throughout.
no you are wrong, go away from me.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

McGrain is just a commentator, he don't know nuttin' 'bout boxin'!
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Get back, witch!
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Great to hear he's doing that well, I wasn't aware! Okay then, it's settled. I'll watch the thing.
There was a documentary on Watson made a little while ago, it was pretty good. He's still slow physically, has some problems with speech, but is sharp mentally and really wanted to walk the marathon. Considering where he was at one point, it was a great recovery.

Big contrast from that other tragic 168 lb. fight (Benn-McClellan).
Thread Stealer is online now  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah, really. They told him he wouldn't walk and if he could support the weight of his own head, good result. Guy walks a ****ing marathon.

More than that. Sometimes when I see him interviewed now... there's like an arrogance about him It's bloody brilliant to see. I think he's the greatest man that ever boxed, i'm not even shitting you. What a legend.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah, really. They told him he wouldn't walk and if he could support the weight of his own head, good result. Guy walks a ****ing marathon.

More than that. Sometimes when I see him interviewed now... there's like an arrogance about him It's bloody brilliant to see. I think he's the greatest man that ever boxed, i'm not even shitting you. What a legend.
I was a fan of his from back in '89........I didn't know the first thing about him then, but the NBC network over here in the states got wind of this Nigel Benn fella over there to England and how he was this miniature Foreman and all that, and they really expended a lot of hype on building him up as a possible future flagship fighter for the network, a real rarity for a european fighter then.

We all know what happened of course, and it took forever for us to warm to Benn again, but in the meantime I was impressed with Watson, if for no other reason than I just like an underdog.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Great fight.

The thing with Watson is he seemed to be a fighter who could take even a decisive loss and improve\evolve from it.He got better and added things to his style after both the McCallum and Eubank losses.Just had such a solid technically sound base from which to work and a good down to earth attitude.

It would have been interesting to see how he would have developed, had he not been injured.Probably hangs on to win a close but clear decision after the uppercut and learns from it.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
"Battered...literally, battered."

-Chris Eubank.
Watson was indeed a demon chef...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I, too, thought he was more emphatic in the 1st fight than the 2nd. Maybe i should put it another way; he was further ahead pointswise in the 1st fight than what he was the 2nd fight before Eubanks big 'hail mary' punch. Thats not to say he wasnt as good in the return, he was, he just wasnt running away with it. Of course this is only my opinion, im sure many would disagree.

Watson was by far the better fighter outta the trio of brits then, by far. I thought it back then and nothing ive seen has changed my mind since
johnmaff36 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum