Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Jim Jeffries v George Foreman

Jim 'Grizzly Bear' Jeffries v George 'Houston Avalanche' Foreman.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Jim Jeffries v George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Jim 'Grizzly Bear' Jeffries v George 'Houston Avalanche' Foreman.

I m o. For Jeffries to win this, George has to gas out.
Question is, can Jeffries absorb George's heavy artillery whilst waiting for this to happen?
In his second fight with Fitz, Jeffries face was turned into hamburger, Fitz was nearly 40 and weighed 172lbs to Jeffries 219lbs ,thats 47 lbs advantage, Fitz had also been retired for 2 years .
A modern referee would have stopped it before it got to the end, when Fitz's hands were smashed , and he was ko'd in the 8th round.

Hype Igoe ,who was ringside, said Jeffries took a worse beating than Willard did against Dempsey.
What happens when Foreman lands his bombs?

Jeffries is said to have been very strong, no doubt he was, and this would have been emphasised against Fitz, 167& 172lbs, Corbett 183 & 188lbs, Sharkey,185 &177lbs, Finnegan 180lbs, Choynski 167lbs. How would Jeffries fare trying to dominate 224lbs Foreman in the clinches?

We saw Foreman push and shove a 217lbs Frazier back out to punching range, could he do it to Jeff?
We saw what happened when Foreman landed his uppercut on that Frazier. What would the effect be on the crouching Jeffries chin?

Let's not forget a 42 years old Foreman went 12 good rounds with a prime Holyfield without;
A. Being off his feet.
B. Once using his stool to sit down.

For me it boils down to; Can Jeffries absorb Foreman's power and survive it? Can he then capitalise on George beginning to blow, and wind down ,having shot his wad ,before he himself, ships enough facial damage to compel a referee to halt proceedings?

Last edited by mcvey; 03-23-2012 at 05:59 PM.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
For me it boils down to; Can Jeffries absorb Foreman's power and survive it? Can he then capitalise on George beginning to blow, and wind down ,having shot his wad ,before he himself, ships enough facial damage to compel a referee to halt proceedings?
What about the possibility of Jeffries countering Foreman, and capitalizing on some of his defensive deficiencies?

I think that might be a factor here.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
If Jack Johnson could bully Jeffries, imagine what Foreman do.

Regardless of being past-prime or not.
I think you have to make some alowance for Jeffries being shot here, and Johnson didn't have it all his own way in the early rounds.

Personaly, I see Jeffries and Foreman as being twins in terms of strength. We have all seen the photograph of Foreman lifting a cow, but Jeffries did the same thing to a 400+lb steer once.

They are both in that sort of ballpark in terms of functional strength.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Foreman should win.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Foreman wins by being a bit stronger on the outside, being bigger, and being the harder puncher. Neither of these guys were hard to find, but their physical dimensions and styles would see Foreman having a bit easier time finding Jeffries than vice versa. Add Foreman's two-fisted power punch assault(The most effective in heavyweight history), and I just don't think this goes to well for Jeffries.

It would be interesting if James could take it late, though. Foreman would fade, and Jeffries probably wouldn't. It'd be a whole new match.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
What about the possibility of Jeffries countering Foreman, and capitalizing on some of his defensive deficiencies?

I think that might be a factor here.

I quite agree If Jeffries lays back as he did against Sharkey in their second fight he has the chance to counter Foreman, but Jeffries said he allways found it hard to counter Sharkey as the Sailor was too busy allways coming forward.

Foreman had a very hard left jab ,something Sharkey did not have in his arsenal. Neither Sharkey , nor George were defensively adept but Foreman avoided punches better than the face first Sailor, blocking many shots with his gloves.

Does Jeffries have the dig to stop Foreman , or at least keep him honest?

Foreman did not take many dynamite shots in fights,[the Lyle fight excepted ,] but Frazier caught him with a couple of left hooks in their first fight,no reaction.
Likewise, Cooney got home with a couple of big shots on an old George, that definitely registered with him.
Still George did not touch down.
Frazier was 217lbs, and Cooney 221lbs

The biggest punchers Jeffries fought were .
172lbs Fitz,167lbs Choynski, and 185lbs Sharkey.

All were under 6 foot tall. Sharkey by 4 inches.

Jeffries best punch was his left hook , usually to the body, any body shot ever have Foreman looking on queer street?

Sharkey lacked any real semblance of defence ,yet he went 45rds with Jeffries?

Its perhaps worth noting that Sharkey was 5'8" and 177& 185lbs for their fights both of which went the distance.

Jeffries was able to outmuscle Sharkey, could he do it to the 7 inches taller, 40lbs heavier Foreman?

What does George do better than Jeff?
Jab. & Punch.
What does Jeff do better than George?
Probably last longer.
It's not enough imo.

Jeffries wore down men, taking their best, and then delivering his own ,would it work against George?
I don't think so , but he would be competitive, until Foreman's monster shots began to take their toll around the half way mark.
I see a stoppage by ref's intervention.

Last edited by mcvey; 03-26-2012 at 09:42 AM.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
I m o. For Jeffries to win this, George has to gas out.
Question is, can Jeffries absorb Georges heavy artillery whilst waiting for this to happen?
In his second fight with Fitz, Jeffries face was turned into hamburger, Fitz was nearly 40 and weighed 172lbs to Jeffries 219lbs ,thats 47 lbs advantage, Fitz had also been retired for 2 years .
A modern referee would have stopped it before it got to the end, when Fitz's hands were smashed , and he was ko'd in the 8th round.

Hype Igoe ,who was ringside, said Jeffries took a worse beating than Willard did against Dempsey.
What happens when Foreman lands his bombs?

Jeffries is said to have been very strong, no doubt he was, and this would have been emphasised against Fitz, 167& 172lbs, Corbett 183 & 188lbs, Sharkey,185 &177lbs, Finnegan 180lbs, Choynski 167lbs. How would Jeffries fare trying to dominate 224lbs Foreman in the clinches?

We saw Foreman push and shove a 217lbs Frazier back out to punching range, could he do it to Jeff?
We saw what happened when Foreman landed his uppercut on that Frazier. What would the effect be on the crouching Jeffries chin?

Let's not forget a 42 years old Foreman went 12 good rounds with a prime Holyfield without;
A. Being off his feet.
B. Once using his stool to sit down.

Interesting breakdown ... also to keep in mind that Fitz likely was far faster and able to put together a far greater punch output than Foreman ... since we have next to nothing to go on with regards to a prime Jeffries in such a match up it is really pure speculation if he is another Chuvalo like victim or a better Lyle ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Interesting breakdown ... also to keep in mind that Fitz likely was far faster and able to put together a far greater punch output than Foreman ... since we have next to nothing to go on with regards to a prime Jeffries in such a match up it is really pure speculation if he is another Chuvalo like victim or a better Lyle ...

The little footage we have of Jeffries hunting Ruhlin down appears to show a pretty fleet of foot [for his time,] big man . I believe Jeffries was a significant level above Chuvalo in terms of all round ability.
I don't think he had power on a par with Lyle's . I believe his results against much smaller men reinforce this opinion.
Jeffries was a grinder.
Fitz is described as a methodical ,unerringly accurate, punch picker. I doubt he matched George in punch output, he may have had the ability to do so, but, from what I understand of his style, that is not how he fought.
I also ,don't think it is a given that Fitz had faster hands than George.
Certainly in Foreman's first career, he fired wide sweeping bombs,so Fitz would have edged him in terms of accuracy, but the older Foreman was pretty accurate, check out the finishing salvo that ends the Cooney fight.

Last edited by mcvey; 03-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I think you have to make some alowance for Jeffries being shot here, and Johnson didn't have it all his own way in the early rounds.

Personaly, I see Jeffries and Foreman as being twins in terms of strength. We have all seen the photograph of Foreman lifting a cow, but Jeffries did the same thing to a 400+lb steer once.

They are both in that sort of ballpark in terms of functional strength.
We have photographic evidence of Foreman lifting that cow.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by mcvey; 03-26-2012 at 11:40 AM.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I m o. For Jeffries to win this
George Foreman would beat the living **** out of Jim Jeffries.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
George Foreman would beat the living **** out of Jim Jeffries.
On way to getting stopped in which round?
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
We have photographic evidence of Foreman lifting that cow.
And primary source evidence of Jeffries lifting the steer!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Guyfawkes
Than who was phone?!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Even though past his prime, Jeffries showed against Johnson that his physical strength is somewhat overrated. Johnson was easily pulling Jim into clinches, and moving him wherever he wanted.

Jeffries got his reputation for freakish power through fighting guys between 160 and 180 pounds. Foreman got it fighting in the golden age of heavyweights, and the 90's breed of huge and skilled Heavyweights

Against guys like "The black Zeus" Kenny Norton, The great Muhammad Ali, Smokin Joe Frazier, Real Deal Evander Holyfield

Imo George was a step above, both in skill, and Strength, and if these two ever met, even a prime Jeffries would get blasted out in under 5 rounds
Guyfawkes is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Jeffries got his face made into hamburger by old ass lightheavies and midgets off the dock. He might, and just might, last longer than Boone Kirkman.
Seamus is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum