Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jim Jeffries v George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
On way to getting stopped in which round?

Take your pick.. If he can go 8 with Ali, who was far more dynamic then he could go many with Jeffries, given that it would be a far slower paced fight... If he could knock out full-sized all time greats like Frazier, then he could surely damage the hell out of Jeffries who had his gut and nose busted by aging men of lightheavyweight size.... THis is a mismatch of the highest order..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #17
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I think you have to make some alowance for Jeffries being shot here, and Johnson didn't have it all his own way in the early rounds.

Personaly, I see Jeffries and Foreman as being twins in terms of strength. We have all seen the photograph of Foreman lifting a cow, but Jeffries did the same thing to a 400+lb steer once.

They are both in that sort of ballpark in terms of functional strength.
Yes he did actually ,ringside reports state Johnson began to toy with Jeffries as early as the second round.

What early rounds would you give to Jeffries?
Foreman's strength is proven against super heavyweights. Jeffries is not.

Likewise their power .

Last edited by mcvey; 03-24-2012 at 05:51 AM.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #18
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Jeffries gets killed. Literally.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

george by massacre.jeffries liked to feast on middles, george would take his head off.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
If Jack Johnson could bully Jeffries, imagine what Foreman do.

Regardless of being past-prime or not.
Very signifigant,orriray.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Only two ways to beat foreman.

1) be so defensively elusive that he can't catch you in the first half of the fight meaning he'll gas down the stretch and even if he does catch you, he won't finish you.

2) knock him out cold before he overwhelms you.

The only guys that come to my mind for the first option are ali, young, byrd and johnson.

The only guys that come to my mind for the second are tyson and louis.

Pretty much everyone else he'll stop within 6 rounds. Jeffries was seen as superman in his day because he was pretty much the only hw (can't remember how big ruhlin was and johnson was towards the end of his reign) but he could match the speed and agility of the smaller guys he was fighting.

Here he'll be the weaker man which immediately takes him beyond anything he proved in his career.

His lateral and head movement wasn't enough for him to elude foreman.

Big george will back him up to the ropes and hammer him with combinations.

Could he sustain the beating? Well fitz took him to edge of being stopped with crisp counter shots. He but his face and really marked it up. Whilst george isn't as quick or accurate as ruby he'll throw more shots and land with more force.

Inshort, this is a mismatch. As most guys would be against george. He's just a wrecking machine who proved his worth through his career.

With better conditioning training during his prime, he could have been even greater than he was.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Guyfawkes
Than who was phone?!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Only two ways to beat foreman.

1) be so defensively elusive that he can't catch you in the first half of the fight meaning he'll gas down the stretch and even if he does catch you, he won't finish you.

2) knock him out cold before he overwhelms you.

The only guys that come to my mind for the first option are ali, young, byrd and johnson.

The only guys that come to my mind for the second are tyson and louis.

Pretty much everyone else he'll stop within 6 rounds. Jeffries was seen as superman in his day because he was pretty much the only hw (can't remember how big ruhlin was and johnson was towards the end of his reign) but he could match the speed and agility of the smaller guys he was fighting.

Here he'll be the weaker man which immediately takes him beyond anything he proved in his career.

His lateral and head movement wasn't enough for him to elude foreman.

Big george will back him up to the ropes and hammer him with combinations.

Could he sustain the beating? Well fitz took him to edge of being stopped with crisp counter shots. He but his face and really marked it up. Whilst george isn't as quick or accurate as ruby he'll throw more shots and land with more force.

Inshort, this is a mismatch. As most guys would be against george. He's just a wrecking machine who proved his worth through his career.

With better conditioning training during his prime, he could have been even greater than he was.
i agree exept Foreman was never, EVER in danger of being stopped early in a fight, you could argue Lyle, but that was mostly a case of Foreman coming in with a very unstable mindset, but he went on to ktfo of Lyle.

Foreman had insane punch resistance, jus sayin
Guyfawkes is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfawkes View Post
i agree exept Foreman was never, EVER in danger of being stopped early in a fight, you could argue Lyle, but that was mostly a case of Foreman coming in with a very unstable mindset, but he went on to ktfo of Lyle.

Foreman had insane punch resistance, jus sayin
You're right the second grouping is a complete hunch of mine.

I just think both louis and tyson will hit george a lot within the first two rounds. Only ali has the chin to withstand punches from them two.

It's a hunch, granted, but I think they'd stop him early. Noone else has the correct combination of speed, power and accuracy.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfawkes View Post
Even though past his prime, Jeffries showed against Johnson that his physical strength is somewhat overrated. Johnson was easily pulling Jim into clinches, and moving him wherever he wanted.

Jeffries got his reputation for freakish power through fighting guys between 160 and 180 pounds. Foreman got it fighting in the golden age of heavyweights, and the 90's breed of huge and skilled Heavyweights

Against guys like "The black Zeus" Kenny Norton, The great Muhammad Ali, Smokin Joe Frazier, Real Deal Evander Holyfield

Imo George was a step above, both in skill, and Strength, and if these two ever met, even a prime Jeffries would get blasted out in under 5 rounds
And how would the George Foreman that fought Steve Zouski, his first comeback opponent, done against a prime Holyfield ? Maybe last three rounds ? These fragmented gages are so misleading ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
Guyfawkes
Than who was phone?!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
And how would the George Foreman that fought Steve Zouski, his first comeback opponent, done against a prime Holyfield ? Maybe last three rounds ? These fragmented gages are so misleading ...
Good point
Guyfawkes is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Jim 'Grizzly Bear' Jeffries v George 'Houston Avalanche' Foreman.
70's Foreman KO4

90's Foreman KO8
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

The undefeated puncher's tend to be over rated until they lose. Foreman never developed defense, ring smarts or stamina in his prime years. He was a bully / front runner type, and his power tended to fade as the rounds went on. I think Jeffries would win somewhere between rounds 9-15.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

Any age Foreman that ever fought in the ring beats any Jeffries that ever fought.

If it went to round 2 i would be surprised.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
The undefeated puncher's tend to be over rated until they lose. Foreman never developed defense, ring smarts or stamina in his prime years. He was a bully / front runner type, and his power tended to fade as the rounds went on. I think Jeffries would win somewhere between rounds 9-15.
So you reckon that Jeffries who himself never learned any defense or ring smarts, who kept his hands down by his waist and got his faced smashed in by old light heavies and super middles is going to survive the most aggressive and devastating heavyweight in history?

The only man who accomplished this was Ali who was bigger than Jeffries, stronger, more skilled, had more ring smarts, more durable, far more accomplished and just plain better in every regard really, along with the fact he was playing mind games with Foreman and got in his head.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

I've often wondered about the outcome of this fight and couldn't make up my mind...Until I read McVeys opinions, I think he breaks it down just right and I agree with him..It's big George.
gentleman jim is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum