anti-old timer bias 21 43.75%
nostalgia, anti-present day is worse 27 56.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default What's worse: nostalgia or anti-old timer bias?

On one hand you've got the people who think nearly everyone in the black-and-white era sucks because of evolution.

Then you've got those who always talk about the good old days and how today everything stinks.

I'd say the nostalgia, or "remember the old days" stuff is worse, because often people have no idea what they are talking about. Crap like "the warriors are all gone, no more exciting fights". Yeah, the Morales-Pac and Morales-MAB trilogies were real snoozers. So were the Corrales-Castillo fights. The old days had nothing but classics like Ali-Frazier 2 and Duran-Lampkin.

And then there's the "boxing has been ruined nowadays by greed and corruption".

Yeah it was a real squeaky clean sport a long time ago. I think my favorite comment I heard about this was "whatever happened to fighting for legacy, old-timers like Ray Robinson didn't care about money".

Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Default Re: What's worse: nostalgia or anti-old timer bias?

Well gotta say this, no matter how good you are these days you "cant be compared" with SRR, Ali and the likes.
Pretty sad because boxing has developed just like any other sport.. put a baseball team from the 70s with todays baseball teams and we'll see what happens, its not like that in boxing but there sure has been some improvements.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Ive become anti old time only after reading the drivel from old-time nthuggers in classic forum.

Some people there claim Marciano would have a chance against bigger heavyweight like Lennox Lewis.
Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Ignorant posts are worse, I don't mind any well reasoned post for old timers or the modern era.

Balanced intelligent posting rules

Last edited by concrete sledge; 02-17-2006 at 12:50 PM.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

both are wrong.

there was great fighters back then as there are today. but not every fighter who you see in black and white is a great fighter.

anyway, most of this has to do with lack of fight footage on old timers. you have to depend on written reports.........and they are not always accurate.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
sandwichsurgeon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Selective memory, the probable reason behind old timer bias (a trait most of us are guilty of because of the filtering out of negative memories or ones that conflict with our views on life) is worse than labelling modern fighters as superior because when people lean towards modern fighters it is because the scientific improvements that are blatantly evident in other sports will, of course, exhist in boxing. Since boxing relies so heavily on athleticism it would be understandable why someone would favour modern fighters due to this, hence ignoring the ever so vital skill factor depended on in the sport.
sandwichsurgeon is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
ajohnfp
Sooner

Anti-old-timer bias is much, much worse. Most people with "nostalgia" are that way because they have a great deal of knowledge about old time fighters. Fact is, the average classic forum poster is more knowledgeable not just about old-timers, but about modern fighters as well.
ajohnfp is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I chose anti-present day. Some people make fighters of the past out to be some type of enigma. The same ones who say Joe Louis would be able to knock out Holyfield, Tyson, Lewis, Bowe, Foreman, etc without any problems whatsoever.

Or that fighters of today wouldn't be able to even touch Jack Johnson. Don't get me wrong, Johnson was great for his day, but even in the HW division as it is today, many fighters would crush 'em.
RAMPAGE0017 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic
Well gotta say this, no matter how good you are these days you "cant be compared" with SRR, Ali and the likes.
Pretty sad because boxing has developed just like any other sport.. put a baseball team from the 70s with todays baseball teams and we'll see what happens, its not like that in boxing but there sure has been some improvements.
Weight classes make boxing so different than other sports though.
Guru_Too_You is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic
Not being able to compare to Ali or SRR has nothing to do with Nostalgia. In the same case, fighters of the 20's, 30's cant compare with SRR or Ali yet their older than them. Its simply a case of noone from that era before or after has been better. If you look at SRR, its really bloody dificult to compare anyone to him in terms of resume without sounding like a biased ignorant fool.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabrese
Personally I think the fighters of today are better technically, more skilled, more athletic, stronger, etc... just like in ALL sports. The San Antonio Spurs of today would destroy the Celtics of the 1950's... The Indianapolis Colts of today would beat down the Packers that won the first Superbowl.

People don't give today's fighters (especially the HWs) enough credit!
I agree with you except i dont think that fighters today are technically better than the fighters of yesteryear, i say that because of the fact that the boxers/ athletes of today are more athletic and i would argue stronger then, so they can depend more on their physicality than boxers back in day that had to learn the right way of doing things because they werent as strong as the fighters of today. This can be said because of better nutrition, medical advances, training regimines, etc...
Jose FM is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its funny how Pernell Whitaker is now seen as an "exciting fighter" . . . the dude was as boring as Spinks is today . . . but the Nostalgia gets in the way.
Ramshall1 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramshall1
Its funny how Pernell Whitaker is now seen as an "exciting fighter" . . . the dude was as boring as Spinks is today . . . but the Nostalgia gets in the way.
Whitaker wasn't nearly as dull IMO. Spinks's first fight with Judah was actually pretty good, but most of his other fights bored me and he spends much more time on the backfoot and being defensive than Whitaker, who spent a decent share of time in the pocket or throwing those hooks to the body.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Hadrian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

i hate both. i'm a big student of history and hate disrespect for the past, but i really really dispise the "no-one can ever be as good" angle as well. i totally agree with the above about past vs present athletcs. jeez you don't have to go back to the 50s celtics. I doubt MJordar would be anywhere near as dominant today. The NBA is filled with guys as or more athletic than him. I'm sure he'd still be a star...but not like what he was....that is just how it always is- John Mcenroe's skinny ass vs. Nadal c'mon...but i still love and respect THE MAC
Hadrian is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
surreal deal
Liverpool via Krypton
ESB Addict

nostalgia is tops,though it was much better when i was a boy.
surreal deal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum