Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Barry Michael vs. Greg Haugen.

I'm not sure what he does other than the commentary. Bit of personal training maybe

The only bombs at the Lockridge fight were thrown by Rocky (ironically the poor bugger is in a bad way these days while Barry still has all his marbles)

Barry suffered from what a lot of our fighters suffered years ago....lack of connections to get them title fights. I'm not sure he would have been a long term titleolder though, there were a lot of top lightweights on the world stage in the early 80's
Bollox is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
I'm not sure what he does other than the commentary. Bit of personal training maybe

The only bombs at the Lockridge fight were thrown by Rocky (ironically the poor bugger is in a bad way these days while Barry still has all his marbles)
Ouch!

There really was a bomb scare though. My dad tells me they even evacuated the arena.

Sad to see how it's turned out for Rocky. He was a very good fighter. That could've been any fighter of the 80's though where coke was treated like candy. Ray Leonard, Pete Whitaker you name it. Lockridge vs. Tiger Lopez 1 is one my favourite fights.

Quote:
Barry suffered from what a lot of our fighters suffered years ago....lack of connections to get them title fights. I'm not sure he would have been a long term titleolder though, there were a lot of top lightweights on the world stage in the early 80's
Yep. Michael just didn't have the connections in the US. It would've been good to see him get a shot at Ray Mancini at his natural weight.

That brawl with the gangster and his mates at the nightclub really did affect him too. He got some pretty nasty injuries, which probabily explains his quick downfall.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Vic. I've got pretty much all of Michael's fights. I'll try and upload some later in the week.

You have to see his fight with Frankie Ropis.

Would be great, man....
I´ll watch his fight with Carter tonight.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I was down under in '81 and took in his fight with Dave McCabe. He was a nice little fighter, but I would have to go with Haugen on a decision in a very entertaining fight.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
What's Barry up to these days? I know he does a bit of commentary.

Btw. Interesting story. My dad had a ticket for Barry Michael against Rocky Lockridge. On the day of the fight there were rumours that the arena was ganna be bombed. In fact those rumours spread and were given credence as the fight came closer and there was a real scare. So my dad decided to give it a miss and stay at home.
He's doing alright, still involved in the boxing and promoting. I was talking to him and Frank Ropis only last month.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
He's doing alright, still involved in the boxing and promoting. I was talking to him and Frank Ropis only last month.
That's good to hear. Thanks, mate.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #22
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tell you what though, Barry almost singlehandedly kept the sport alive in the dark days of the very early 80's before Fenech and Ellis came along. He did it mainly with his mouth, couldn't shut him up
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #23
big man
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Barry talked his way into a shot at Ellis with his big mouth (even though they were mates) and really did a psych job on him. He called Lester a baby, a fraud and a pretty boy which Lester was not and said he hadn't paid his dues. The thing was Baz hadn't made 130 in years and Lesters camp thought if by some miracle he made weight, Lester would be fighting an empty shell.

That's the thing with Barry, he's smart.

He consulted a top nutritionist, shed the weight but kept his strength and endurance and then was just too tough for Lester on the night.

Barry did a similar number on a good young fighter ( and a Commonwelth champ too from memory) called Greame Brooke. Instead Barry kept going on about how he and Brooke were great mates and like brothers and how hard it would be for them to fight each other until Greames camp had to say they weren't actually mates at all and Barry was just trying to sap their mans fighting spirit. It worked though and Barry beat a very subdued and completely mentally confused Brooke when they met.

I like Barry Michael's style a lot.
big man is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #24
big man
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

One thing's for sure is that Barry is in much better shape than Alphonse Gangitano.
Alphonse took involuntary redundancy with a retirement package of 3 bullets to the back of the head.
big man is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #25
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

i take haugen by UD in a exciting fight 9 rounds to 5 with 1 even
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by big man View Post
Barry talked his way into a shot at Ellis with his big mouth (even though they were mates) and really did a psych job on him. He called Lester a baby, a fraud and a pretty boy which Lester was not and said he hadn't paid his dues. The thing was Baz hadn't made 130 in years and Lesters camp thought if by some miracle he made weight, Lester would be fighting an empty shell.

That's the thing with Barry, he's smart.

He consulted a top nutritionist, shed the weight but kept his strength and endurance and then was just too tough for Lester on the night.

Barry did a similar number on a good young fighter ( and a Commonwelth champ too from memory) called Greame Brooke. Instead Barry kept going on about how he and Brooke were great mates and like brothers and how hard it would be for them to fight each other until Greames camp had to say they weren't actually mates at all and Barry was just trying to sap their mans fighting spirit. It worked though and Barry beat a very subdued and completely mentally confused Brooke when they met.

I like Barry Michael's style a lot.

He almost talked himself into a Fenech fight too. Hounded him for years. Don't think that would've turned out as well for him though. In the ring or in the street....
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Barry vs Al "Earthquake" Carter is online Vic.

Check it out tell me what you think...how you scored it etc.

Bit of a war..very good value fight IMO.
Very good fight !
Both guys with a high workrate....Carter was a good surprise to me....

R1 – Carter
R2- Carter
R3- Barry
R4- Barry
R5- Barry
R6 –Barry
R7- Barry
R8-Carter
R9- Barry
R10- Barry

7-3 Barry IMO.....
Old 04-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I had it a draw..tough fight to score though.

Carter would come out like freight train at the start of the round and literally punch himself out on Barry's head...then Baz would capitalize and comeback at the end of the round.

An amazing show of chin from Michael...he was one tough cookie.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Rounds 5, 6 and 7 were extremely close ! I loved Michael body punches and Carter´s uppercut....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Does anyone have any idea how Michael was stopped against Lennox Blackmoore? Had to be cuts?
Russell is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum