Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I like Maxim to outpoint Dwight Q. B. over 15 in a tough contested battle with Joey M. taking it by 9-6 10-5 and 8-6 in a UD
I agree with this.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Maxim carried more boxing knowledge in his pinky than Qawi ever could hope to know. To say that Qawi would beat him is difficult to support. To say that Qawi would knock him out is absurd (as the info in my earlier post clearly demonstrates).

Maxim UD Qawi.
Look from 46 - 55 Maxim pretty much beat everyone excluding Moore, Charles and Walcott , three tremendous fighters for a light heavyweight to defeat .. however I simply think Qwai was an exceptional fighter and doubt Mzxim had the firepower to hold him off ..
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,125
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Bob Satterfield couldn't knock out Maxim.

Lloyd Marshall couldn't knock out Maxim

Jimmy Bivins couldn't KO Maxim in 20 rounds

Jersey Joe Walcott couldn't KO Maxim in 30 rounds

Archie Moore couldn't KO Maxim in 45 rounds

Ezzard Charles couldn't KO Maxim in 62 rounds

Dwight Muhammad Qawi is not knocking out Joey Maxim
Believe dat.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,298
vCash: 118
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Bob Satterfield couldn't knock out Maxim.

Lloyd Marshall couldn't knock out Maxim

Jimmy Bivins couldn't KO Maxim in 20 rounds

Jersey Joe Walcott couldn't KO Maxim in 30 rounds

Archie Moore couldn't KO Maxim in 45 rounds

Ezzard Charles couldn't KO Maxim in 62 rounds

Dwight Muhammad Qawi is not knocking out Joey Maxim
How bout' that Curtis Shepard...
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #20
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Look from 46 - 55 Maxim pretty much beat everyone excluding Moore, Charles and Walcott , three tremendous fighters for a light heavyweight to defeat .. however I simply think Qwai was an exceptional fighter and doubt Mzxim had the firepower to hold him off ..
I don't have a problem with you thinking that at all, He. I just think it's a difficult argument to support.

If Maxim was skilled enough to be competitive against the No.1 and No.2 GREATEST (bar none) light-heavyweights of all time in addition to some outstanding heavyweights and all the others I listed then I think he can more than be "competitive" with Qawi, he can beat him. He doesn't need firepower to hold him off. He'd box him silly, imo. Even Jimmy Bivins marveled at what a skilled fighter Maxim was and praised him in the press.

Last edited by Surf-Bat; 04-01-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #21
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
How bout' that Curtis Shepard...
One of the hardest punching heavyweights of all time. Only guy to ever KO Maxim and called the hardest puncher ever by Archie Moore. There is nothing in that loss that you can refer to as evidence for why Qawi would be able to beat Maxim.

(keep in mind that Maxim avenged that loss and beat Sheppard another time as well )
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #22
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
I don't have a problem with you thinking that at all, He. I just think it's a difficult argument to support.

If Maxim was skilled enough to be competitive against the No.1 and No.2 GREATEST (bar none) light-heavyweights of all time in addition to some outstanding heavyweights and all the others I listed then I think he can more than be "competitive" with Qawi, he can beat him. He doesn't need firepower to hold him off. He'd box him silly, imo. Even Jimmy Bivins marveled at what a skilled fighter Maxim was and praised him in the press.
Was he competitive ? From what I've seen and read Moore and Charles were a clear class above him ... Moore seemed to dominate him and Maxim used all his skills to survive .. I have zero clue about Walcott except JJ got the decisions ... Qwai is easy to overlook because he had such a short light heavyweight prime but at his best he was so strong, tough, well conditioned, dificult to hit and brutal .. I don't see Maxim keeping him off .. Mike Spinks fought the best fight of his life by outboxing Qwai but he was able to do it because he was a nasty puncher at 175 and tagged Qwai very hard in the opening round and set that pace ... Maxim was no puncher and it is a far different matter to outbox Qwai if you could not get him to fear your power ..
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Close fight but I'd go with Qawi, overall a higher plane of performance imo
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Was he competitive ? From what I've seen and read Moore and Charles were a clear class above him ... Moore seemed to dominate him and Maxim used all his skills to survive .. I have zero clue about Walcott except JJ got the decisions ... Qwai is easy to overlook because he had such a short light heavyweight prime but at his best he was so strong, tough, well conditioned, dificult to hit and brutal .. I don't see Maxim keeping him off .. Mike Spinks fought the best fight of his life by outboxing Qwai but he was able to do it because he was a nasty puncher at 175 and tagged Qwai very hard in the opening round and set that pace ... Maxim was no puncher and it is a far different matter to outbox Qwai if you could not get him to fear your power ..
MORE than competitive. He beat both Walcott and Bivins. He lost a split-decision to Bivins later on and also lost a split and majority decision to Walcott. He gave these guys all they wanted.

Charles and Moore were more difficult propositions obviously. But Joey was always in there being competitive.

The whole fear of power argument is not a compelling one for me. If getting opponents to fear his power was required to win then Joey Maxim would never have won a fight. If you recall this same argument was put forth as the main reason why Julio Cesar Chavez was going to "beat" Pernell Whitaker. We all know what happened there.

Boxing history is replete with fighters who didn't require that opponents fear their power in order to beat them.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

I don`t think its a stretch at all to believe Joey can defeat Dwight, in fact stylistically I believe Maxim holds an edge here in this matchup. Maxim was mobile for a LHW and had good footwork, didn`t stand around for long in the same place and always had that jab going looking to score points with. Dwight while no mug in cutting off the ring on his opponents would have his work cut out for him on a prime Maxim, he would have to contend with his constant movement and jab while trying to land his own punches on a slippery defensive minded target.

It didn`t help him defeat the likes of Charles and Moore mind, but that is hardly a knock against the man considering the calibre of fighter he was up against. And lets keep in mind that even though he had 5 losses and 3 losses to Ezz and Arch respectively, he was always competitive and gave a good account of himself, if the fights had been one-sided contests he wouldn`t have faced neither man as often as he did.

So with all that said, if Maxim can dictate the pace of the fight with his jab early on, be mindful of Dwights counters and not allow him to get in close and give him the opportunity to get some work done and impress the judges, Maxim has a good chance of winning. Maxim has to stay mobile for the duration of the fight though as he can`t stay put for long and allow Dwight to move inside on him, that is the key to victory for Joey.

Qawi would definately have his moments however, and hell he could just as easily win this fight too, but having watched Maxim outbox Bob Murphy recently I think he can pull it off, hes got the right style for it and is durable enough to hang in there and ride out whatever rough spots he may face vs the Buzzsaw which he inevitably will.

Maxim by split decision.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim v Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
MORE than competitive. He beat both Walcott and Bivins. He lost a split-decision to Bivins later on and also lost a split and majority decision to Walcott. He gave these guys all they wanted.

Charles and Moore were more difficult propositions obviously. But Joey was always in there being competitive.

The whole fear of power argument is not a compelling one for me. If getting opponents to fear his power was required to win then Joey Maxim would never have won a fight. If you recall this same argument was put forth as the main reason why Julio Cesar Chavez was going to "beat" Pernell Whitaker. We all know what happened there.

Boxing history is replete with fighters who didn't require that opponents fear their power in order to beat them.
I understand but if you could not hold Qwai off you were going to get pummeled .. he was the Camden Buzzsaw for a reason ... Maxim was very cagey and cute but he was not extremely fast, busy or hard hitting ... no doubt he goes the distance as he was tough as nails but I simply think he is forced to fight a aurvival fight ...
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013