Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600
Default Shavers "I loved facing big, slow guys... I wouldn’t have had any problems"(with K2)

Boxing-XPERT reporter James Slater, interviewed Boxing-Xpert And ATG-Puncher Earnie Shavers again!

By James Slater - James Slater: It’s great to speak with you, Earnie - a heavyweight legend! I know you know David Haye quite well. People are still talking about the brawl he and Dereck Chisora had in Germany; today (March 29th) Chisora appealed the decision that saw his licence taken away. Do you think both guys should be able to fight again?

Earnie Shavers: Well, they should serve some time for what they did, definitely - but I don’t think they should be banned for life. No, let them back after a time, let them earn a good living.

J.S: Did anyone ever try and get at you outside of the ring, Earnie - at a press conference or anything like that?

E.S: Oh, no, never anything like that. I got on fine with all fighters outside of the ring. I had no problems.

J.S: Were boxers more gentlemanly back in your day?

E.S: Yes, and we also had great trainers - trainers who not only taught us boxing but also how to conduct ourselves as gentlemen. The trainers taught us and told us what not to do..

J.S: People always like to speculate on who would have beaten who. What would have happened had you and Haye rumbled?

E.S: I’d have knocked him out, probably in two or three rounds. I hit way too hard for him. But I like David, he’s a friend of mine, and a good fighter.

J.S: How about you and the Klitschkos? You’re 6.0” and you were around 215 I your prime, while the two brothers are 6.6 or more and around 240. How would you have done against them, as big as they are?

E.S: Let me tell you something, I loved facing big, slow guys like that. I wouldn’t have had any problems with them.
J.S: You feel you’d have got inside the long jab and gone to work on the inside?

E.S: Yes. I’d have worked inside, then attacked the body first, to bring the hands down, and then I’d have gone to the head. I’d have landed shots to the heart, a left hook to the kidney, and then shot a right hand to the head. Then you’d have heard ‘Timbeeerr!’ (laughs).

J.S: Do you think the Klitschkos deserve to be rated as all-time greats? That’s what some people are saying right now, as it’s been so long since they lost, and they have dominated the division for so long now.

E.S: I don’t think so, no. They’re good fighters, but not in terms of all-time. They haven’t been in with top guys.

J.S: Is that because there is simply no-one around?

E.S: Yes, I agree with you, it is not their fault.

J.S: You were part of a golden era, a special time for the heavyweights: the 1970s. Was that the best time ever for the heavyweight division in your opinion?

E.S: Yes, I would say so. You had so many great fighters all around at the same time, facing each other. In fact, there were too many great fighters around at the same time. To my knowledge, it has never been like that before or since.

J.S: As you know, Earnie, Bert Sugar passed away a few days ago. I have a copy of your DVD, and Bert introduces it - he called you the hardest punching heavyweight he’d ever seen……

E.S: Oh, I knew Bert well, we were friends. I saw him two months ago. It’s very sad, his passing. We all have to live life to the full while we can.

J.S: Bert told a story that says that when you fought Bernardo Mercado (in March of 1980, actually a stoppage loss for Shavers), you hit him so hard you’re glove actually imploded! Is that true?

E.S: It did, yes.

J.S: Wow, that’s real power!

E.S: (laughs) Well, I did punch pretty good.

J.S: How much boxing do you watch today, Earnie? Which fighters do you like?

E.S: Well, I don’t watch all that much. I like Mayweather and Pacquiao.
J.S: We all want to see them fight and I know you’re the same. Who wins if they do meet?

E.S: Mayweather. He’s too fast and he’ll win on points.

J.S: Going back to your day, a time when the best always fought the best, would you have ever messed around as much as Mayweather and Pacquioa have? There is something like $20 million to $30 million on the table for each fighter, maybe more!

E.S: Both guys are crazy. I just can’t understand it. You know, if one of them gets hurt or something, the deal’s off. That’s crazy. We’re in the game to make money. With that kind of money to be earned, who cares who wins?

J.S: I agree, Earnie. We just need to see it. Thanks so much for your time.

E.S: Thank you, and tell all my fans in Britain, I love you and thanks for all the support.

Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shavers "I loved facing big, slow guys... I wouldn’t have had any problems"(with

Poor Earnie would get knocked stupid by the Klitschkos.

If he'd have had an iron chin instead of a glass one, he'd be one of the most formidable heavyweights of all time.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Shavers "I loved facing big, slow guys... I wouldn’t have had any problems"(with

I saw many of Earnies fights and I would give him a virtually no chance against the K's..too big too fast..too much movement and they hit too hard...Shavers swallows the jab until he runs out of gas...he always has a punchers chance but I do not think he can land anything of substance vs Vlad and Vitali may go after him quicker
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Poor Earnie would get knocked stupid by the Klitschkos.

If he'd have had an iron chin instead of a glass one, he'd be one of the most formidable heavyweights of all time.
Shavers did not have a glass chin, he took 6 rounds of clubbing from Ronny Lyle.

Earnie's chin must of been canny decent.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Oh, God. Take your pill already, grandpa.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3890

Shavers' chin and technique r underrated , his power overrated .
vs Wladimir he stands a puncher's chance , vs Vitali not even that .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

He'd have a punchers chance but both have the ability to knock him out early enough, and if Vitali can't he'll wear Shavers out and get rid of him in the mid-to-late rounds.

I don't give guys much chance based only on the chance of a bomb landing. So I would say no, Shavers beats neither of the Klit Bros.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

He's ridiculous. He's also said he'd have no problem with Tyson either.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Haye and Shavers could go either way! But I'd favour Shavers as he hit much harder and I think he can, excuse the pun, shave Haye and put him out.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Guyfawkes
Than who was phone?!
ESB Senior Member

I think Voidtali actually takes him handily, but with Wlads disgraceful joke of a chin that fight would be like 60/40 in Wlads favor

He actually would destroy Haye and many other topped ranked contenders today
Guyfawkes is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

What "big slow guys" did Shavers face, asside from Roy Williams who was a fraction of the fighter that the klits are, and very nearly kicked his ass?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfawkes View Post
I think Voidtali actually takes him handily, but with Wlads disgraceful joke of a chin that fight would be like 60/40 in Wlads favor

He actually would destroy Haye and many other topped ranked contenders today
The fragility of Wlad's chin is grossly exaggerated. Sam Peter, who is nothing if not a bigtimepuncher, hit Wlad flush on the button numerous times during their 2nd fight, including on the break, and Wlad didn't flinch. All but the Sanders' KO were the result of gassing and falling apart mentally afterward.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Shavers is not that much faster than Wlad, to boot.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

People refuse to rate Wlad highly for fighting in a weak era, but at the same time he's expected to destroy Shavers ??

Shavers was no ATG, but he was pretty good. A threatening challenger to just about any champion. I think he gets underrated by people who are probably combatting the 'hardest puncher ever' reputation and attention that somehow got attached to him.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Shavers is not that much faster than Wlad, to boot.
i wouldn't say he's any faster to be honest
Nightcrawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum