Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shavers "I loved facing big, slow guys... I wouldn’t have had any problems"(with

Lets face it, there is a reason why Wladamir has atained the level of dominance he had.

Even so, Shavers would undoubtedly have enjoyed success in the curent heavyweight division, even if he could not beat the Klitschko brothers.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Shavers "I loved facing big, slow guys... I wouldn’t have had any problems"(with

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Lets face it, there is a reason why Wladamir has atained the level of dominance he had.

Even so, Shavers would undoubtedly have enjoyed success in the curent heavyweight division, even if he could not beat the Klitschko brothers.
agreed. shavers boxed really well in the ali fight and for that i give him credit. most of the time though, he was a guy with solid fundamentals and a big punch but not much else
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Shavers stands a chance against both early, especially Wlad. Lots of power, speed and punch quality. The early onslaught from Shavers is more formidable than anything Wlad has faced

I still wouldn't put money on Shavers mind you
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Shavers stands a chance against both early, especially Wlad. Lots of power, speed and punch quality. The early onslaught from Shavers is more formidable than anything Wlad has faced

I still wouldn't put money on Shavers mind you
Shavers has a mint early chance @bumrushing Waldo.

BUT - if Vitlay's Cheen can take 6 rounds of ma$$ive bombs from Lenny Lewis, like a straight G, how would Shavers KO him early?? For my money (and i have a lot of it), Lion Lenny was teh most powerful puncher in history, period.

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Shavers has a mint early chance @bumrushing Waldo.

BUT - if Vitlay's Cheen can take 6 rounds of ma$$ive bombs from Lenny Lewis, like a straight G, how would Shavers KO him early?? For my money (and i have a lot of it), Lion Lenny was teh most powerful puncher in history, period.

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!
he's up there certainly. but vitali got tagged, and hurt, early by sanders. sanders wasn't quite in shavers league in terms of power but the speed is there to. not sure if shavers is sneaking his punches in the same way but i don't see vitali's chin as quite invincible, especially against a guy like earnie
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

He would beat everyone he was matched against. Good interview.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

With that kind of money to be earned, who cares who wins?

interesting statement
Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

I like Shavers as a fighter but from the interviews I've read he comes across as rather full of himself and somewhat delusional as to his true abilities. Neither Klit would lose to him even if he did manage once or twice to get to their chin. Those "big slow guys" are just on another level. And in Wlad's case certainly not slow.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Shavers' chin and technique r underrated , his power overrated .
True. Not as crude or as slow as he's often made out, not as beastly either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
The fragility of Wlad's chin is grossly exaggerated. Sam Peter, who is nothing if not a bigtimepuncher, hit Wlad flush on the button numerous times during their 2nd fight, including on the break, and Wlad didn't flinch. All but the Sanders' KO were the result of gassing and falling apart mentally afterward.
Also true. Brewster and Haye caught him as well, and he was supposed to wilt like a stalk the first time either of those guys landed flush. What happened?
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

I agree. I think Shavers would have done very well with the well-chinned plodders that populate the ranks. Someone like Eddie Chambers would be stylistic trouble, but I'm not about to make him a favorite over Shavers, since he's just a higher class of customer.

Honestly, he'd be second in my view. I'd even make him a favorite against the current Vitali, who is getting old.

I think Wlad could get some decent leverage in the early goings even and move Earnie off-balance enough so it could pile up quick. Early stoppage isn't out of the question.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
What "big slow guys" did Shavers face, asside from Roy Williams who was a fraction of the fighter that the klits are, and very nearly kicked his ass?
Tom Brookshier and Ken Norton made repeated note of the difficulty Earnie had punching up to Tiger's height in that one. Shavers built up an early insurmountable lead on the cards by repeatedly hurling his right to Roy's body, but the 6'5" height of Williams clearly posed more logistical issues for Earnie than reaching the heads of Holmes and Ali did. In 1982, Shavers was decisioned by the 6'5" Walter Santemore. Give him a target over 6'4" and he seemed to have issues getting to their chins.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Did Shavers see Wlad fight?? He is a big fast guy.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

I think Shavers' chin is underrated, meaning I think he had more of a conditioning/durability issue than an outright poor chin.

Shavers also vastly underrates the speed of both guys. They're fast enough to stay out of harm's way for the most part.

I'll say Shavers has a puncher's chance and that's about it. He would be better than anyone either man has fought, excluding a past-it Lewis.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
leverage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Earnie stands at least a punchers chance against wladimire because of his chin (even though i feel that he still gets ko'd) but against vitali he has absolutlely no chance whatsoever. Earnie just didn't have the size, the skills or the chin to deal with these men.
leverage is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #30
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
The fragility of Wlad's chin is grossly exaggerated. Sam Peter, who is nothing if not a bigtimepuncher, hit Wlad flush on the button numerous times during their 2nd fight, including on the break, and Wlad didn't flinch. All but the Sanders' KO were the result of gassing and falling apart mentally afterward.
I agree. His chin is a lot better than most think because of his anxiety issues. It's hard to say what difference that would make if he seemingly still has those issues (Whether he does or doesn't). He may not get the lights knocked out, but he could be repeatedly knocked down, mentally or physical. Assuming the man doing the job is a better finisher than Sam Peters. I wouldn't say Peter hit Wlad flush numerous times in their 2nd fight, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Poor Earnie would get knocked stupid by the Klitschkos.

If he'd have had an iron chin instead of a glass one, he'd be one of the most formidable heavyweights of all time.
Maybe. A lack in technique, skill, and stamina would be more than minor issues, assuming Shavers had a iron chin. Of course a better chin would've greatly helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Shavers is not that much faster than Wlad, to boot.
Yeah, he's slower. It's obvious Shavers doesn't watch the K brothers. I don't blame him.
PetethePrince is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum