Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537
Default Re: Lewis vs Klitschko what do each need to do to win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Proper mint post m8.

Lenny Lewis could get off teh sofa now, do a Reggae-Reggae Sauce commercial, And spark out teh 1999 Tyson who barely beat Buffalo Botha, let alone teh featherfisted arm-puncher corpse who made his trainer throw in teh towel VS morbidly obese glass jawed tomato can Bummy MCbride.

Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!

You have a great way with words F H
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #32
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty trunks View Post
His wins over Grant, Golota and Bruno were somewhat poor looking on film from a technical standpoint He starched Ruddock with an off balance telegraphed righthand.
I don't think Lewis is impressing you no matter what he did, to be honest.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #33
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
I don't think Lewis is impressing you no matter what he did, to be honest.
Lewis was a very good fighter and the last complete heavyweight fighter. As I said he could fight and he could box, but he wasnt particularly great at either in my opinion, just very good.
I dont think he would have accomplished as much as he did had he turned pro a bit earlier. As much as he made a big deal out of not fighting Bowe, I think it was blessing in disguise for him. He clearly wasnt ready to face that caliber of fighter in the early 90's.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #34
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Lewis would have done well vs the whole trio personally. Tyson never beat a fighter with the size, power and greatness level of Lewis. As for Bowe, Lewis would have had the edge on him imo. Lewis was not daunted at all by him, i'm not sure the same can be said the other way.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I think Lewis would have done well vs the whole trio personally. Tyson never beat a fighter with the size, power and greatness level of Lewis. As for Bowe, Lewis would have had the edge on him imo. Lewis was not daunted at all by him, i'm not sure the same can be said the other way.
Lewis was knocked out by Oliver Mcall and was being outboxed by Frank Bruno and out fought by Ray Mercer. Bowe was on a whole different level in the early 90's. He would have exposed all those mistakes Lewis was making.
As far as Tyson, Lewis never beat a fighter on Tyson's level either, so you can spin that one both ways.
Lewis became a much better fighter by 1996-97 but up until that point he would have had a difficult time with prime versions of Tyson and Bowe. By 97 there wasnt much left in the heavyweight division.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #36
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
One trick pony?

Yes his uppercut(s) were a major weapon on the inside. But his inside game was more than just an uppercut...and i take it you mean his right one.

Lewis as we know was freakishly strong even for a man of his size and at the same time he was very agile with that size.

He would position himself firstly so that the other guy couldn't get nothing done, then he was able to quickly manoeuvre himself to let go with hooks, body shots and yes, uppercuts.
He was nearly always positioned and coiled to throw on the inside.

Yeah hit and hold was mainly his thing inside but definitely more than a one trick pony.

A lot of times we saw Lewis try the Tyson-esque combo of R-hook body, R-uppercut head, L-hook head, R-hook head. Admittedly not as effective as Tyson but at 6"5 and a 84" reach he was never gonna be. But still, impressive for a giant.

The matter of fact way you speak of the outcome doesn't sit well either mate, considering Vitali didn't look like he was gonna make it past the seventh (with or without cuts) never mind be able to stop Lewis in the 11th.

If you mean the second fight then we can all predict...and i predict Lewis wouldn't have looked that bad second time around.
His inside game was not great. It was leagues above vitali's and that's the point.

Not arsed what would have happened after the 6th because vitali was in no fit state to continue.

In a rematch lewis is too far removed from his prime for it to be a meaningful fight. I predict lewis isn't able to withstand vitali's assault.

To be honest, I don't care if it doesn't sit well. I speak with conviction, deal with it. Any prediction is as good as the next imo.

I'm saying prime for prime lewis beats vitali on the inside.

Had they rematched a year after the first fight I pick vitali to keep lewis on the outside and stop him late on.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #37
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Lewis was knocked out by Oliver Mcall and was being outboxed by Frank Bruno and out fought by Ray Mercer. Bowe was on a whole different level in the early 90's. He would have exposed all those mistakes Lewis was making.
As far as Tyson, Lewis never beat a fighter on Tyson's level either, so you can spin that one both ways.
Lewis became a much better fighter by 1996-97 but up until that point he would have had a difficult time with prime versions of Tyson and Bowe. By 97 there wasnt much left in the heavyweight division.
Ok, you are matching pre prime Lewis with Tyson and co. That's a tough gig for any fighter. I'd still give Lewis a decent chance tho. Tyson's stock dropped a bit post Douglas, Holyfield was in good form around the time and Bowe too. Lewis was coiming on good in 92 and his size and power would have been awkward for anyone. They sure weren't lining up to fight him.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #38
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ok, you are matching pre prime Lewis with Tyson and co. That's a tough gig for any fighter. I'd still give Lewis a decent chance tho. Tyson's stock dropped a bit post Douglas, Holyfield was in good form around the time and Bowe too. Lewis was coiming on good in 92 and his size and power would have been awkward for anyone. They sure weren't lining up to fight him.
In 91-92 noone really knew who Lewis was and the heavyweight championship was still running strong through the US. I dont buy the fact that guys were avoiding Lewis only because he was so dangerous. You had Foreman, Bowe, Holmes, Holyfield. These were the big money fights. Lewis was too much risk for too little of a payday and thats just as much of a reason why these guys didnt want to fight him. Ruddock fought him only because it was an instant ticket back into a mandatory spot after losing in two chances against Tyson.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #39
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
In 91-92 noone really knew who Lewis was and the heavyweight championship was still running strong through the US.
They sure knew who he was at the end of 92 when he axed Rudduck in just two rounds. The Razor was coming off two wins post Tyson at the time and still very much in the picture.

Quote:
I dont buy the fact that guys were avoiding Lewis only because he was so dangerous. You had Foreman, Bowe, Holmes, Holyfield. These were the big money fights. Lewis was too much risk for too little of a payday and thats just as much of a reason why these guys didnt want to fight him.
My comment still stands under any scenario tho. They very definitely weren't lining up to take him on. They knew he was dangerous too, rest assured.

Quote:
Ruddock fought him only because it was an instant ticket back into a mandatory spot after losing in two chances against Tyson.
There's a slight contradiction there as you claimed nobody knew him 91-92.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
His inside game was not great. It was leagues above vitali's and that's the point.

Not arsed what would have happened after the 6th because vitali was in no fit state to continue.

In a rematch lewis is too far removed from his prime for it to be a meaningful fight. I predict lewis isn't able to withstand vitali's assault.

To be honest, I don't care if it doesn't sit well. I speak with conviction, deal with it. Any prediction is as good as the next imo.

I'm saying prime for prime lewis beats vitali on the inside.

Had they rematched a year after the first fight I pick vitali to keep lewis on the outside and stop him late on.

Ok but saying his inside game was'nt great is different to saying he was a "one trick pony" on the inside. That was my point luf,
which it looks like you've acknowledged. Because a one trick pony can't be "leagues above" much can it. Seems like a contradiction to me.

Deal with it? Yeah alright mate. Your not talking to one of your pupils now you know.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 04-05-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Site crashed
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #41
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
That kind of argument can go both ways, for instance; Lewis never beat a fighter with top end power & phenomenal speed combined, deadly combination punching & superbly elusive defensive skills... So just remember those kind of arguments kind of suck, unless the ATG you're talking about actually defeated other Peak ATG's... which is an extremely rare occurence.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #42
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
Ok but saying his inside game was'nt great is different to saying he was a "one trick pony" on the inside. That was my point luf,
which it looks like you've acknowledged. Because a one trick pony can't be leagues above much can it. Seems like a contradiction to me.

Deal with it? Yeah alright mate. Your not talking to one of your pupils now you know.
My point was he isn't what i'd call a good inside fighter. But vitali is probably the worst inside fighter in hw history. So lewis's best chance is on the inside.

It's easter holidays lol, i've gotta get my kick of dictatorship somehow
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
My point was he isn't what i'd call a good inside fighter. But vitali is probably the worst inside fighter in hw history. So lewis's best chance is on the inside.

Wlad? Is he not equally as bad?

Both Klit brothers are fantastic (illegally excessive) clinchers & leaners, but can't fight on the inside at all.

Unfortunately for Vitali, Lewis turned out to be functionally stronger than him ("By far the strongest fighter i've ever faced."), & vicious with his holding & hitting in the clinches, especially the brutal booming righhook to the kidneys.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #44
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Wlad? Is he not equally as bad?

Both Klit brothers are fantastic (illegally excessive) clinchers & leaners, but can't fight on the inside at all.

Unfortunately for Vitali, Lewis turned out to be functionally stronger than him ("By far the strongest fighter i've ever faced."), & vicious with his holding & hitting in the clinches, especially the brutal booming righhook to the kidneys.
No wlad is methodical. Once the fighter's in range the clinch is locked.

Vitali is unpredictable and at times will backpedal away or trade (makes him look ridiculously clumsy).

Maybe it's to do with mentality and vitali likes to punch his way out of the clinch.

Wlad has no such fault. He has his discipline mastered and he doesn't deviate.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #45
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Point accepted mate, but i know you're smart enough to understand the "one trick pony" remark is gonna sound provocative to a nuthugger like me.

Plus you're saying that whenever it's school hols time we can expect different more aggressive type of posts from yourself?
OK Hitler.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 04-05-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum