boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Would a retired Mayweather rank above Marciano, or not?
Mayweather would rank higher for me 29 52.73%
Marciano would rank higher for me 24 43.64%
So close it doesn't matter. 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Would a retired Mayweather rank above Marciano, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
I feel that he's been comfortably above Rocky since before this weird "comeback" thing. Agreed with those who said there isn't really any kind of case for Rocky here, though I'd guess they're reasonably close (as in a separation of 15 spots or so).
Even then, the scrutiny is probably unjust.

Mosley and Ortiz were Top 3 rated Welterweights; Marquez was P4P No. 2 (and drew at worst with Pac two years after Floyd shut him out).

Cotto is the No. 1 LMW.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Even then, the scrutiny is probably unjust.

Mosley and Ortiz were Top 3 rated Welterweights; Marquez was P4P No. 2 (and drew at worst with Pac two years after Floyd shut him out).

Cotto is the No. 1 LMW.
Oh, I'm not criticizing him for the comeback opposition (my only real criticism is for the retirement in the first place). I'm just saying he doesn't even need these 3 recent wins to outrank Rocky. He was already ahead as I saw it.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Oh, I got that the first time. Was just commenting on a lot of the general criticism.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

It pains me to say it but it's gotta be Mayweather by now. And his career will probably look a lot better when people have had time to see he's gone for good and new generations will be discovering him without the overly critical eye of grandad boxing fan for the new kid on the block.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #20
Muchmoore

vCash:

I'd rank May higher probably but it would be close. Marciano is probably the smallest great heavyweight unless you want to include Lang.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #21
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd rate Marciano higher.
He beat Louis, Walcott, Charles, Moore, and defended the undisputed title six times.

The men Mayweather beat that are actually going down as ATG names were actually just as old or past their best as the ones Rocky beat. Who have we got ? DeLaHoya ? Moseley ? Marquez ?
And the titles and weight class stuff I'll admit confuses me.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #22
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I wouldn't rate Mayweather higher. On a par, possibly. Though, I think I've even denied that in the past...
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #23
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

As a boxer, sure. As a fighter, no way.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #24
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Mayweather. C'mon now, Marciano had his wins but Mayweather has Marquez, Corrales, Castillo, Ortiz, Mosley, Gatti, etc. He has dominated for many years now and rarely loses a round.
Marciano was great too but his resume was lacking.
I wouldn't call it lacking, but yes, certainly Mayweather has fought tougher opposition. I love the Rock, but Floyd is just a superior fighter, no question.
I've never actually done a list, but I'd imagine I'd rank Mayweather much, much higher than Marciano.

As a rule, heavyweights by rights should not rank highly, P4P. The smaller guys have always been far superior fighters.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #25
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Who are all these tougher opponents Mayweather fought ?

Honestly, who have we got ? Corrales and Hatton aren't going down as ATGs, and were not undisputed champions in the traditional weight classes. They were good fighters. Baldomir and Gatti were not great fighters.

Mayweather has fought across 17 or 24 pounds, and every five or seven pounds there's another multitude of "champions" and "world contenders", maybe that's why he's being credited with superior opposition. You've got men there picking up titles and #1 ratings who would have struggled to get a top 10 rating back in the 1950s, when there were 8 champions and only 80 places for contenders across the whole sport.
Marciano fought in 1 division, and faced guys who were 10, 15, 24 pounds heavier than him.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #26
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Who are all these tougher opponents Mayweather fought ?

Honestly, who have we got ? Corrales and Hatton aren't going down as ATGs, and were not undisputed champions in the traditional weight classes. They were good fighters. Baldomir and Gatti were not great fighters.

Mayweather has fought across 17 or 24 pounds, and every five or seven pounds there's another multitude of "champions" and "world contenders", maybe that's why he's being credited with superior opposition. You've got men there picking up titles and #1 ratings who would have struggled to get a top 10 rating back in the 1950s, when there were 8 champions and only 80 places for contenders across the whole sport.
Marciano fought in 1 division, and faced guys who were 10, 15, 24 pounds heavier than him.
The laws of physics change as you go up in weight though. It's to me a greater challenge for a 130 pounder to go up to 154 and challenge for a title than it is for a heavyweight to fight a guy 24 pounds heavier than himself.

For example, a 220 pounder facing a 244 pounder is no big deal, at heavyweight.
But, a natural 130 pounder fighting at (eventually) junior middleweight and winning a belt is much more impressive, if you ask me.

And to be fair, Marciano went through the grinder is a couple of fights, such as Walcott 1, Charles (More the first fight, but to a certain extent both) Lastarza for a while etc.
Mayweather hasn't been really extended for quite some time now, and mostly hasn't been.
Judah gave him a good argument for a while, but Mayweather won comfortably enough in the end.
In recent years, I can't think of anyone else who's given him a tough argument really.
(Hopefully he and Paquiao can still get in on, although it's looking unlikely lately.)

As for skills, well everyone will have an opinion, but to me Mayweather is just more talented overall.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #27
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Marciano for me. No ****in about, no cherry-picking, no nothing. Just fought who they put in front of him. Cant ask for more than that
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
The laws of physics change as you go up in weight though. It's to me a greater challenge for a 130 pounder to go up to 154 and challenge for a title than it is for a heavyweight to fight a guy 24 pounds heavier than himself.

For example, a 220 pounder facing a 244 pounder is no big deal, at heavyweight.
But, a natural 130 pounder fighting at (eventually) junior middleweight and winning a belt is much more impressive, if you ask me.
Well, who knows what a "natural 130 pounder" is these days. It's more unnatural in many cases.
If Ray Robinson was fighting today, he'd probably be claimed as a 'natural 130 or 126er' too.
they both look like proper welters to me.
Besides, Mayweather won a "belt" at 154 against a man who started out at 130 too, which kind of illustrates the point.
And there are so many belts around too, it's not always sign of a huge achievement.

Marciano is a simpler case. He beat 4 HOF guys, won an undisputed belt in a proper weight class, defended six times, retired.

No one has said anything here yet to convince me Mayweather has done better.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #29
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

If you go on number of championship bouts, quality of opposition and over all dominance you have to favor Mayweather ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #30
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Well, who knows what a "natural 130 pounder" is these days. It's more unnatural in many cases.
If Ray Robinson was fighting today, he'd probably be claimed as a 'natural 130 or 126er' too.
they both look like proper welters to me.
Besides, Mayweather won a "belt" at 154 against a man who started out at 130 too, which kind of illustrates the point.
And there are so many belts around too, it's not always sign of a huge achievement.

Marciano is a simpler case. He beat 4 HOF guys, won an undisputed belt in a proper weight class, defended six times, retired.

No one has said anything here yet to convince me Mayweather has done better.
It seems to me that you're holding it against Mayweather that he's fighting in the era he's in. (?)

Can anyone in this day and age be expected to win the undisputed title when moving up in weight? Duran didn't, Hearns didn't, Paquiao hasn't...I don't think it demeans their accomplishments in the slightest.

Anyway, I'm not so much trying to convince you (Who is ever convinced by an alternate viewpoint on the internet?) so much as expand on the reasons I feel Mayweather should be rated higher.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum