Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: H2H kings of the traditional 8 divisions?

I'm totally confident with my pick of jones at lhw. He can be beaten but there's noone i'd pick to beat him.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #32
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I'm totally confident with my pick of jones at lhw. He can be beaten but there's noone i'd pick to beat him.
That's an astonishing statement. 120 years of great fighters and you're "totally confident"? Man, I wasn't even totally confident about picking a winner in the super-6 (and I got it wrong) never mind a super 16 between the greatest fighters in the history of a division...

Sounds rash.

I'm most confident concerning Ali, but he has a granite jaw.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
im fine with him, spinks or charles. a tournament between them would feature a loss for each fighter at some point
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
im fine with him, spinks or charles. a tournament between them would feature a loss for each fighter at some point
Probably what would happen in a round robin is about 3 guys would lose about 2 fights.

Some box off that.

"And for a spot in the final, we have, on tonigh's bill, Ezzard Charles squaring off with Sam Langford and Bob Foster on his way to the ring where he's being awaited by Harry Greb."

Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #35
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Probably what would happen in a round robin is about 3 guys would lose about 2 fights.

Some box off that.

"And for a spot in the final, we have, on tonigh's bill, Ezzard Charles squaring off with Sam Langford and Bob Foster on his way to the ring where he's being awaited by Harry Greb."

a much better tournament that one
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #36
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

Some box off that.

certainly worth a ticket for that show

I'm surprised I'm the only one to mention Fitz at middle. Hagler and Monzon are the other stand outs that for sure (Robinson blew hot and cold too much IMO, and Ketchel wasn't around long enough). I don't mind the other 2 guys being mentioned, but with Bob's power he could KO many a middleweight
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #37
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Fitz's power is incredible, but further to our conversation the other day - all of this goes for Fitz but more so. His style, it's unfair to call it "wrong", it was the most perfect solution to competition in the history of the sport, arguably, in tandem with his power, but it aged horribly.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
That's an astonishing statement. 120 years of great fighters and you're "totally confident"? Man, I wasn't even totally confident about picking a winner in the super-6 (and I got it wrong) never mind a super 16 between the greatest fighters in the history of a division...

Sounds rash.

I'm most confident concerning Ali, but he has a granite jaw.
It astonishes you that I wouldn't pick anyone to beat jones jr?

I can't think of one filmed lhw i'd expect to beat jones.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #39
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
It astonishes you that I wouldn't pick anyone to beat jones jr?
Very much so, if that's true.

There is no fighter at any weight I couldn't think of someone beating. There is just to much depth in boxing. Nobody is so much better than everyone else in boxing that they won't lose to someone in the huge variety of greats and styles, in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

There is no fighter at any weight I couldn't think of someone beating. There is just to much depth in boxing. Nobody is so much better than everyone else in boxing that they won't lose to someone in the huge variety of greats and styles, in my opinion.
true but with these types of lists, it's more would you favour any fighter over the other imo. at heavy, i wouldn't FAVOUR any fighter over 67 ali but if he fought the entire rest of the all time top 10, he may lose to some of them. bottom line though, i wouldn't give a single one of them 50/50 odds against him. based on that, i'm confident in that pick for instance.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #41
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I'm pretty confident picking Ali as winner too but i'd worry about the super-heavies and i'd favour prime Frazier over him, and I think Louis is just a slight underdog.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #42
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
true but with these types of lists, it's more would you favour any fighter over the other imo. at heavy, i wouldn't FAVOUR any fighter over 67 ali but if he fought the entire rest of the all time top 10, he may lose to some of them. bottom line though, i wouldn't give a single one of them 50/50 odds against him. based on that, i'm confident in that pick for instance.
Exactly this.

Although i'd pick frazier over ali but noone else.

I'm not saying over a schedule jones jr would remain unbeaten. I'm saying in any given fantasy fight at lhw I wouldn't bet against him.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #43
SenorRamirez
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

HW: Mike Tyson
SenorRamirez is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #44
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:

Exactly, which is why i don't have a pick for each weightclass.i prefer to think in tiers.Most divisions have numerous groups of fighters who would all be within a 60\40 shot of beating the others.From the greats to the stronger contenders\titlists and on down.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #45
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 937

HW: (Resume) Joe Louis Based on his 26 defenses. (Head to Head.) Ridick Bowe. He has size and is good on the outside and inside. Maybe not as skilled as others and with a short prime, but he's good all around and has a great chn which will make a diffrance against the other giants in the division.
LH: (R) Ezzard Charles. One of the most underrated resumes in the sport. (H2H). Roy Jones Jr. Say what you want about his lack of fundmentales or his chin. At his best he's too fast for anyone.
MW: (R) Carlos Monzon 14 defenses against a very solid list of chlangers. H2H: This is tough. If this is a fanasty fight thread meaning they are at their best and use the best tactics. Ray Robinson is the easy choice. When he fights off the back foot he's pretty close to unbeatable. However he didn't allways do that chosing to fight rather than box. It cost him in real life and I don't se him changing if these were real life match ups. I'm having trubble chosing from the fallowing: Michale Nunn, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr.
WW: (R) Ray Leonard. Wins over Duran (who beat him before) Benitez (more skilled) and Hearns (with his size, power and skills should beat every WW ever). Leonard's resume is quility over quinty. H2H. Ray Leonard. In beating Hearns and Benitez he's shown he can beat guys who have better skills/ability/talent than himself.
LW: (R). Benny Leonard. A 7 and a half year run as lightweight champion against a very good list of chalangers. (H2H). Benny Leonard. The film of his fight with Tendler shows him able to set up counters. Considering how rare southpaws were back than and that he more convincely beat Tendler in their rematch. Leonard can overcome any diffcuilty any other LL would throw at him.
ripcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum