Spinks via Decision 2 8.33%
Lewis KO 20 83.33%
Lewis via Decision 0 0%
Draw 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #16
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: Michael Spinks (1985) vs Lennox Lewis (1996)

voted spinks jinx ko

in all reality though this would be an interesting one. Lennox only went in kill mode when he felt he was physically threatened and against giant slow moving targets. He would have trouble landing on Spinks I bet
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

This would be a bit like the other time Lewis faced a very skilled, very tricky-footed boxer: Evander Holyfield. With Holyfield, his only asset against Lewis was pressure and a very solid chin. Spinks's chin wasn't bad at heavyweight, but he's not going to be able to pressure Lewis or take a lot of punches.

Assuming they're both on their game, I pick Lewis to box and then find his spot somewhere in the middle rounds, leading to a TKO.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #18
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Lewis was at his absolute peak in 1996, he'd have had too much for Spinks.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #19
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Lennox Lewis somehow managed to avoid fighting tricky, cagey, smaller, skilful guys.
He turned down the Chris Byrd idea.

I think it might well go the distance, an ugly fight. Lewis by decision, or Spinks might nick it, or it could be a draw.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
I know how this looks on paper BUT I was watching Lewis against Morrison (probably his finest all around outing) and looking at his lazy left. At times he flicked and left that jab hanging out there, using it more as a range finder than a legitimate weapon. Against a fighter of Morrison's limitations, you can get away with this. Would Spinks be able to capitalize? Would his herky jerky movement throw Lewis off? Is Spinks simply too mobile for lewis or would the bigger man take command, force the fight and take spinks out?
A no brainer in my opinion. I'd be surprised if Spinks sees the start of the fifth round.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

I haven't formulated a proper idea as to how this pans out, but something tells me it won't be quite so cut and dried as that.
Tyson got to Spinks because he was relentless and very quick at finding the right openings. Lewis isn't that type of fighter, normally.

I'm fairly sure Lewis would win, but he could be made to look very bad, and Spinks would have his moments.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
I haven't formulated a proper idea as to how this pans out, but something tells me it won't be quite so cut and dried as that.
Tyson got to Spinks because he was relentless and very quick at finding the right openings. Lewis isn't that type of fighter, normally.

I'm fairly sure Lewis would win, but he could be made to look very bad, and Spinks would have his moments.
this is the way i see it to. other posts, even agreeing that lewis wins, indicate it could be a close, ugly fight that spinks may edge.

given styles, and lewis' occasional lapses in concentration, it's possible. i feel as others do that this is probably the best all around lewis but even the best lewis wasn't perfect and seemed open to counter rights and mobility. spinks made a career out of counter rights over the top, mobility and awkward adaptability
Nightcrawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum