Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default If Arguello had fought title fights against Duran's lightweight title opponents...

.....and vice versa, how would each have fared?

Duran:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 13
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 5
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 8
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 10
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 11
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 1
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 14
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 15
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 1
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 13
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] W15
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 12

Arguello:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] W 15
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 7
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 6
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] KO 5

(Arguello spit L 10 AND W 10 with Fernandez in two NON title matchups)
MMJoe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: If Arguello had fought title fights against Duran's lightweight title opponents..

Arguello lost to Ramirez as well.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: If Arguello had fought title fights against Duran's lightweight title opponents..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Arguello lost to Ramirez as well.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

At 135. Over ten rounds. Outright robbery with Arguello dropped.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

It's not a great comparison really. One has numerous names and a run as one of the greatest at the weight. The other a short but solid run after his absolute prime at 130lbs.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I think I'd favour Arguello over all of Duran's 135 comp, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped decisions to Buchanan, DeJesus and Viruet.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
I think I'd favour Arguello over all of Duran's 135 comp, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped decisions to Buchanan, DeJesus and Viruet.
I go along with the rugged 15 round veteran Buchanan, but I don't see Ed pulling it off over the championship distance.

The 5'4-1/2" DeJesus couldn't come close to doing it while prime against the 5'9" Cervantes, so I don't see him coming close with the 5'10" Arguello either.

Vilomar Fernandez beat him because that one was for ten rounds, and it was still just a majority decision. Forget it over the championship distance. El Cholo did it by going to Vilomar's body, and that's how Alexis would have eventually gotten him in a match scheduled for a third more the length.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Could never see Fernandez beating Arguello in a 15 rounder...but I think he would go deep and possibly nay probably be ahead on points at the time of the stoppage if they had a title fight.

The version of Vilomar that fought Duran put on a hell of an effort...he did his usual lateral movement fest but also got in there in the trenches with Duran..stayed with him for a long time in that fight.

Buchana and Viruet would be the hardest stylistically...wouldn't be surprised if Alexis dropped those fight or at least came close to.

I think Arguello does a better job against Lampkin...which I think would be a top fight while it lasted..but Alexis will be more effective with his straighter punches, be more calculating..Duran looked average slashing away with his wide punches that were never on at the range he was throwing them.

I could actually see Watt giving Duran the biggest issues from Arguello's lightweight resume...but Roberto would take that one.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
I go along with the rugged 15 round veteran Buchanan, but I don't see Ed pulling it off over the championship distance.

The 5'4-1/2" DeJesus couldn't come close to doing it while prime against the 5'9" Cervantes, so I don't see him coming close with the 5'10" Arguello either.

Vilomar Fernandez beat him because that one was for ten rounds, and it was still just a majority decision. Forget it over the championship distance. El Cholo did it by going to Vilomar's body, and that's how Alexis would have eventually gotten him in a match scheduled for a third more the length.
Viruet was a pretty rugged customer though, went the distance with Duran twice no problem whatsoever. I know Rosario nailed him late in his career, and I don't discount the fact that Arguello could KO him either, but I personally wouldn't think it likely. Viruet had some very underrated skills and gets underplayed simply because he was in such a deep era. I'd actually pick him to beat all the lightweights of the past decade, with the exception of Floyd.

Although DeJesus struggled with Cervantes, I think Antonio is a lot physically stronger than Alexis. At 135, I see it being more of a skill contest with Arguello, and I think DeJesus can outbox Arguello. Alexis would need to Ko him to win imo.

Agree that Alexis would get Fernandez over the distance. Personally I had their first fight a draw...
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Viruet was a pretty rugged customer though, went the distance with Duran twice no problem whatsoever. I know Rosario nailed him late in his career, and I don't discount the fact that Arguello could KO him either, but I personally wouldn't think it likely. Viruet had some very underrated skills and gets underplayed simply because he was in such a deep era. I'd actually pick him to beat all the lightweights of the past decade, with the exception of Floyd.
I also don't believe it's likely that Alexis takes Ed out, but Arguello had a tremendously sharp hurting jab, and like DeJesus, could hurt Ed to the body. (I disregard Rosario, because Ed completely changed his style to one of considerable aggression by then.) Ed, I think, would find himself boxing in survival mode by the decisive rounds.
Quote:
Although DeJesus struggled with Cervantes, I think Antonio is a lot physically stronger than Alexis.
This is entirely possible, but Watt and Mancini were not exactly 90 pound weaklings in the physical strength department, and Arguello handled them pretty conclusively.
Quote:
At 135, I see it being more of a skill contest with Arguello, and I think DeJesus can outbox Arguello. Alexis would need to KO him to win imo.
Watching Esteban eventually crumble in Duran II, I can buy him outboxing Alexis through the opening stages of the contest, but can't envision Vita doing it as necessary to prevail over the championship distance. He'd be dealing with a grievous disadvantage in height and reach, dealing with that bastard of a jab Arguello had in his arsenal.
Quote:
Agree that Alexis would get Fernandez over the distance. Personally I had their first fight a draw...
It was no schooling, and Arguello displayed some good hand speed in that one. A few years later, Busceme commented that Alexis was quicker than expected, but looked slower because of his smooth punching. He didn't telegraph much, measured well, and aimed for the sternum. DeJesus would need to be really, really good to pull this one off. I just don't believe he ever impressed over the championship distance as necessary to be a viable conqueror of El Flaco, although certainly an excellent opponent.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Buchanan might beat him, Lamkin and DeJesus were tough, would have chance. DeJesus would have best chance of all based on style, he was fast counter puncher who could bang. Duran was better than Arguello.
Danmann is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum