Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1078
Default Ranking Gamboa and Moreno's 10 best wins each together #1-20

This list ranks in order #1-20, the ten best/most impressive and significant victories of both Yuriorkis Gamboa and Anselmo Moreno.

The purpose of this is to clarify to myself, but also to show the strange behavior I've seen recently from boxing fans of including Gamboa in their top 10 P4P and being emphatic in declaring him so. Let me know how you feel about it, or if there are any specific arrangements you disagree heavily with.

1. Yuriorkis Gamboa UD12 Orlando Salido (34-10-2)
2. Anselmo Moreno UD12 Vic Darchinyan (37-3-1)
3. Anselmo Moreno UD12 Wladimir Sidorenko I (21-0-2)
4. Anselmo Moreno SD12 Wladimir Sidorenko II (21-1-2)
5. Yuriorkis Gamboa TKO4 Jorge Solis (40-2-2)
6. Anselmo Moreno SD12 Nehomar Cermeno I (19-0)
7. Anselmo Moreno SD12 Nehomar Cermeno II (19-1)
8. Yuriorkis Gamboa TD8 Daniel Ponce de Leon (41-3)
9. Yuriorkis Gamboa UD12 Jonathan Victor Barros (28-0-1)
10. Anselmo Moreno SD12 Mahyar Monshipour (31-3-2)
11. Anselmo Moreno TKO9 David de la Mora (24-1)
12. Anselmo Moreno UD10 Tomas Rojas (24-9)
13. Yuriorkis Gamboa TKO2 Rogers Mtagwa (26-13-2)
14. Anselmo Moreno TKO8 Lorenzo Parra (31-2-1)
15. Yuriorkis Gamboa TKO10 Jose Rojas (25-6-1)
16. Anselmo Moreno TKO1 Ricardo Vargas (39-12-3)
17. Yuriorkis Gamboa TKO4 Whyber Garcia (22-6)
18. Yuriorkis Gamboa KO1 Walter Estrada (35-8.)
19. Yuriorkis Gamboa KO2 Marcos Ramirez (25-0)
20. Yuriorkis Gamboa TKO6 Adailton De Jesus (19-2)

Last edited by Nonito Smoak; 05-03-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Moreno TKO9 de la Mora
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ranking Gamboa and Moreno's 10 best wins each together #1-20

Many apologies mixed up Cermeno and Sidorenko up. I think solis should at least switch with Sidorenko I due to the manner of how he won. And the same for De Leon over Cermeno I and II. Not only do I believe it was against much better opposition but Gamboa dominated start to finish. Hindsight probably being my main reason for this as Cermeno went on too prove he wasn't world class whereas De Leon is a proven world class fighter.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

PDL is better than Cermeno, maybe even Sidorenko. Probably better at FW than Vic at BW. Darling Jimenez is better than most of the guys you listed, I wonder what happened to him.
lester proctor is online now  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester proctor View Post
PDL is better than Cermeno, maybe even Sidorenko. Probably better at FW than Vic at BW. Darling Jimenez is better than most of the guys you listed, I wonder what happened to him.
Exactly. Not only that but the manner of Gamboas wins are a lot more impressive than multiple split decisions. I normally find myself agreeing with you Nonito, but I must say this is a pretty poor list
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1078

Good responses guys, thank you.

First of all, I want to point out that all of the SD victories for Moreno were indeed convincing and decisive. The Sidorenko wins, Monshipour win, and first Cermeno win were in the opponents' base countries of Germany, France, and Venezuala, respectively.

I agree with Cermeno proving to be not that impressive, but he was legitamitely ranked #5 by The Ring at the time, and even after the defeats only fell to #6.

Ponce de Leon is worldclass, but Cermeno did more in the fights leading up to facing Moreno than de Leon did in the fights leading up to facing Gamboa. And in the fight itself, it was an 8 round decision in which I gave every (or all but one) round to Gamboa, but in the end, was left with Ponce alive and competitive in almost every single of the eight rounds.

The Jorge Solis win is no doubt a good one, but less us remember that he hadn't fought below 130 in several years. Besides, if we hold Cermeno's future losses against him, which we certainly should consider, absolutely, then we must also consider the manner at which Uchiyama destroyed Solis later on in the same year Gamboa did.

I expect the Solis and de Leon victories to be the ones that people believe deserve higher placement. Perhaps those are the two reasons why I don't value Gamboa as others do, as I personally find the two wins over Sidorenko to be more impressive than those two wins.

---

All in all, I find it insanely interesting at how much talk, hype, belief, and value is put into Gamboa while so little into Moreno despite the resumes telling, in my opinion, a different tale.

And before people say "there is more than just the on paper result" I would say: yes, which furthers my point because the SD's should in fact be UD's and that Moreno also looks equally or more dominant than Gamboa does when considering the level and frequency of competition.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Gambo has a fan friendly style, and unique style and look... speed and power... Very fan friendly... and you know skills in the boxing world are not enough gamboa is a pretty good package, which is why he gets massively talked about... Cubans also doing the number on ESb always representing him well/// he has good wins over very known fighter like PDL, and Solis, and Salido. So you know mexicans know exactly who he is... lol

Moreno doesn't have much fans.. maybe the slick black americans should adopt him

PAGING Cellz..
Doc is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Gambo has a fan friendly style, and unique style and look... speed and power... Very fan friendly... and you know skills in the boxing world are not enough gamboa is a pretty good package, which is why he gets massively talked about... Cubans also doing the number on ESb always representing him well/// he has good wins over very known fighter like PDL, and Solis, and Salido. So you know mexicans know exactly who he is... lol

Moreno doesn't have much fans.. maybe the slick black americans should adopt him

PAGING Cellz..
It's also that Gamboa was fast tracked, he won a title 2 years after turning pro. And that he's a safer pick to retain top 10 ranking in the long haul.
lester proctor is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum