Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1034
Default Re: WBO European title= paper title

The schism in the EBU as a result of the Haye Chisora debacle has played into the WBO and WBA's hands.

It's not in their interests for the EBU, which is effectively an organisation steered to some degree by a competitor in the WBC to have control over boxing in Europe.

Now they have an excuse to really roll out their EBA and WBO European title fights.

Within months we will potentially have three European champions at each weight.

Frank \/\/arren is already looking at the viability of European title fights sanctioned by the WBO.
Longcount is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000

I'm waiting for the WBO European Diamond Studded **** Ring belt.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
I think you need to realize these belts are important to the economics of the sport. TV loves them, and fighters like them because it can get them more money. The casual fan thinks they are watching in this case a European title fight, and the more 'educated' fan, can see what a farce it all is.

So do not worry, people are either blissfully ignorant or know the facts about these titles, either way, no damage is really done.
Do we really need them though? Why couldn't we sell good fighters fighting other good fighters for the right to fight for "The Title"? There is too much emphasis on protecting that 0. What's wrong with losing on the way up but learning your trade. You used to get series of fights between fighters, rematches of good fights sell, you don't really get that now because prospects or the powers that be are scared of putting there boy in with anybody who has a any chance against them. Good fights are when both parties are looking for a win, not when you've got a "champ" defending against some obscure fighter in the top 50 or 100 in reality but with good connections in somebodies ratings comittee. If it's not an obscure fighter it's someone who used to be someone 5 or 6 years previously.....
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Do we really need them though? Why couldn't we sell good fighters fighting other good fighters for the right to fight for "The Title"? There is too much emphasis on protecting that 0. What's wrong with losing on the way up but learning your trade. You used to get series of fights between fighters, rematches of good fights sell, you don't really get that now because prospects or the powers that be are scared of putting there boy in with anybody who has a any chance against them. Good fights are when both parties are looking for a win, not when you've got a "champ" defending against some obscure fighter in the top 50 or 100 in reality but with good connections in somebodies ratings comittee. If it's not an obscure fighter it's someone who used to be someone 5 or 6 years previously.....
I agree, but we do not live in that world. The 'neo liberal' economic model of boxing does put a huge emphasis on the '0' and having a belt around your waist.

I am not condoning them, but if someone was not getting rich of a WBO Intercontinental Zone 3 Pan African American Asian Australasia European title, would the WBO have such a belt?
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I agree, but we do not live in that world. The 'neo liberal' economic model of boxing does put a huge emphasis on the '0' and having a belt around your waist.

I am not condoning them, but if someone was not getting rich of a WBO Intercontinental Zone 3 Pan African American Asian Australasia European title, would the WBO have such a belt?
Maybe I'm just old school, it's the fans that are missing out. There are good fights to be made out there that would sell, belt or no belt.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
SuspiciousChees is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
I'd keep that quiet if I was you!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post

Quote:
Foreman Hook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum