Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default The Tyson who destroyed Spinks need not and should not have been the finished article

It is my contention that at the stage of his career comonly regarded as his peak Mike Tyson had not yet completed his aprenticeship. A number of areas of his technique could have been improved and likley would have been if he had retained his focus.

It is likley that he would have worked over the next few years to make his punches more compact. It is also likely that he would have done a lot of work on his infighting skills. This would have eliminated one of his principal weakneses which was key to him loosing to Evander Holyfield twice.

Another area that would likley have received further atention is his footwork. While already good he could have made more inteligent use of it circling oponents to prevent them setting up the jab. This is something that would have been verry usefull against James Buster Douglas.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887
Default Re: The Tyson who destroyed Spinks need not and should not have been the finished article

I agree. Tyson was learning some new things still, like the triple jab he threw against Tubbs.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: The Tyson who destroyed Spinks need not and should not have been the finished article

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
I agree. Tyson was learning some new things still, like the triple jab he threw against Tubbs.
I also think that he abandoned a few things that might have been worth sticking with like switching from orthodox to southpaw stance.

While this seems unecesary while he was runing everybody over with ease it is the kind of thing that might have snatched a fight back for him when it was going against him.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
coronacards
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree...furthermore, Tyson lost his most valuable asset, his WARRIOR MENTALITY.

By the time he fought Holyfield, Tyson's "desire to fight" was long gone. People don't understand how much mentality can carry someone...Tyson had unbelievable natural ability, skill, power, speed, and heart (in the beginning).

You look at the great "tough guys", it was their mentality that carried them. Until Trinidad destroyed him, look at Mayorga. He had no skill whatsoever, but refused to be hurt...period. Look at James Toney. A man who took pride in his ability to stand in front of you and exchange punches toe to toe. Look at Old George Foreman. He refused to be hurt, be knocked down, or sit down in the corner between rounds. It was mentality that gave them the edge, and it gave Tyson his as well.

Tyson believed he could destroy anyone in front of him. He believed he couldn't be hurt.

After Spinks (and even beforehand), Tyson wasn't the man he was beforehand. The troubles with training, Don King, Robin Givens, etc. broke Tyson down. That and the immense amount of money.

Once Tyson left Brooklyn and the Brooklyn "do anything to survive" mentality, it was over for him...He needed to be that concentrated animal...
coronacards is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

Tysons story frustrates the hell out of me, he could have been so much. Just think it would be entirely possible if Tyson had kept improving for him to have defeated Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe etc That would have made his resume arguably the best in heavyweight history.
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

It's funny, but a friend of mine thinks he was a converted southpaw, although I'm not sure about that. Just thought seeing as though you were referring to switch-hitting I'd bring that up.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
It's funny, but a friend of mine thinks he was a converted southpaw, although I'm not sure about that. Just thought seeing as though you were referring to switch-hitting I'd bring that up.
I know that there is footage of him fighting southpaw as an amateur. I beleive he used to switch hit as well.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcfall
Tysons story frustrates the hell out of me, he could have been so much. Just think it would be entirely possible if Tyson had kept improving for him to have defeated Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe etc That would have made his resume arguably the best in heavyweight history.
If we could have taken Mike's raw natural abilities and transplanted Rocky's heart and Frazier's stamina into him, he'd probably still be champ.

Okay, that was an exaggeration of course, but he'd have been virtually unstoppable, even allowing for the natural drop-off in speed and reflexes over time.
One of the biggest wastes of natural talent ever.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcfall
Just think it would be entirely possible if Tyson had kept improving for him to have defeated Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe etc That would have made his resume arguably the best in heavyweight history.
He had the talent to do it if he introduced the right methods into his repatoir. I see the methods needes to beat these oponents as being the final chapter of his aprenticeship as Damato might have envisaged it.

Joe Louis had an early career similar to Mike Tyson in many ways but he continued to improve his methods well into his late 20s.

Last edited by Optimist; 02-19-2006 at 03:31 PM.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
It is my contention that at the stage of his career comonly regarded as his peak Mike Tyson had not yet completed his aprenticeship. A number of areas of his technique could have been improved and likley would have been if he had retained his focus.

It is likley that he would have worked over the next few years to make his punches more compact. It is also likely that he would have done a lot of work on his infighting skills. This would have eliminated one of his principal weakneses which was key to him loosing to Evander Holyfield twice.

Another area that would likley have received further atention is his footwork. While already good he could have made more inteligent use of it circling oponents to prevent them setting up the jab. This is something that would have been verry usefull against James Buster Douglas.
You (deliberately I think) forgetting the intangibles. Tyson's natural ability had a massive flaw, his temperament. I think everybody should be amazed that the hard work of D'Amato, Atlas, Rooney, Jacobs and Cayton got him to the level of the Spinks fight, he was so badly flawed.

But that is being selfish actually, Tyson needed help to resolve his issues, and I hope I am badly wrong, but I only see Tyson tragically dying far too young, because his demons were not resolved, and people saw his boxing genius and were prepared to just focus on that.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Totally agree Janitor.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
I only see Tyson tragically dying far too young, because his demons were not resolved, and people saw his boxing genius and were prepared to just focus on that.
I hate to say it but i have the same fears myself.
garymcfall is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum