Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #61
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300
Default Re: Was Joe Frazier shot after the Fight of the Century?

Shot , after his finest win.. Why..???

He was forced to dig deep yet came away victorious.. He was a tough guy who did what many thought impossible but look at how many great fights he was involved in after that fight. 2 more with Ali, 2 with George.. For god sake he was not blessed with the best of natural skills but did a fine job with what he had.. Joe was more damaged by the first Foreman loss.. By the final Ali fight in the phillipeans he was quite a changed man. But i can't see a connection between that 1st Ali fight and his eventual decline..

God bless..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #62
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Frazier's loss to Foreman was a case of being overpowered, outgunned. It looked more embarrassing for Frazier only because he kept getting up to get knocked down again. If he'd stayed down on that 2nd knock down I reckon people would be saying stuff like "that punch would have finished off any man". With one or two knockdowns people acknowledge the one-sidedness , but when a fighter carries on and attempts to fight back through half-dozen knockdowns he gets even less credit.

Probably because of the ease in which he was handled in a 'punch up' (basically Joe's raison d'etre). It resembled the fight where George Kennedy battered Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #63
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime
"Now this might shock and amaze ya, but I will destroy Joe Frayzha!"

Frazier kicked Ali's butt good but left his core behind in doing so.

On the other hand, he began to coast after conquering his mountain.

He would never be the same.
Agreed.

Yank Durham wanted him to retire after the FOTC and he should have.
yancey is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #64
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15
I can't see Foreman blowing out the Joe Frazier from 1967 - 1971. In fact, I can see 205 lb Frazier wearing down and knocking out Foreman late in the fight with a body shot. Foreman wouldn't have been able to handle his pressure and he wouldn't have been able to hit the FOTC Frazier as cleanly as he did. Ali had trouble hitting Frazier cleanly in that fight and he was light years faster, hand speed and foot speed compared to George Foreman. Why are many on this forum so quick to discredit Frazier, giving him no chance at any time in his career, prime or not against Foreman based on the fight in 1973? I don't think Frazier was shot after the FOTC but his decline is clearly visable. He was shot against Foreman in 1976 yet lasted five rounds with a different strategy. There's no comparison between the Frazier of the late 1960's and the fat, out-of shape version that got whupped by Foreman in 1973.
I think along the same lines.

Prime, 1969-1970 Frazier has a good chance of getting past the early rounds with Big George.

If he does, he takes out Foreman by the 11th. I see Foreman simply toppling over like Mathis did, a victim of relentless, attrition body punching by Joe.
yancey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum