ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: the top ten hardest punchers in middle weight history

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoppelGanger
RJJ are you avin a laugh
The only one who managed to go the distance with RJJ there was Hopkins, who has never been stopped even up to now when he's fighting top opposition at age 42. And RJJ wasn't even an aggressive or come-forward fighter. His power at 160/168 is gigantic.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #17
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
RJJ are you avin a laugh
Not at all, if Tito gets in there at MW, RJJ certainly should. His power was excellent at MW.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Hagler being there is garbage. The man was never a monster puncher.
Hagler was somewhat of an enigma in the power department. Looking at his KO % you'd assume he was a killer. In some of his fights, before and after winning the title he had some devastating KOs (frightening one against Sugar Ray Seales) and in others he looked as though he could barely crack an egg ( Duran comes to mind, and also how many clean punches did he hit Fully Obel with in the first fight before he succumbed??). Thoughts anyone?
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Just pure and rare power I would spontaneous say:

Eduardo Lausse
Florentino Fernandez
Stanley Ketchel
Gerald McClellan
Tommy Ryan
Tony Mundine
Rocky Graziano
Jorge Jose Fernandez (normally I rate him at 147 lbs, but even at 160 lbs he showed scary power)
Julian Jackson
Larry Estridge
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

James Toney? Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik hit harder than Toney. I'm not saying to put them on the list, but they probably belong there before Hagler as well.

Oh, and before someone says I think that Pavlik and Taylor are in the same punching class I don't. I just think they both hit harder than Toney.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #21
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I don't think that RJJ or Trinidad would make my list, either. I do think that both were heavy hitters at 160. I would probably compile a list than looks like good right hand's and luigi1985's.

After Trinidad's blasting of Joppy, I might even think his hands were heavier at 160 than Jones' were.

Everyone in this post hits harder than another favorite of mine, James Toney.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #22
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Then there's Tony Ayala....almost a shoo-in as the next Duran, but bigger, stronger, arguably meaner, and much harder-hitting. Torito would probably get Bobby Czyz's vote on this after their sparring sessions.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #23
Florida boy
Bodacious
ESB Senior Member

hands down, Julian Jackson. i dont have stats, but i bet he scored more 1 punch, other guy actually unconcious ko's then anyone else at 160.
Florida boy is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #24
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx
Then there's Tony Ayala....almost a shoo-in as the next Duran, but bigger, stronger, arguably meaner, and much harder-hitting. Torito would probably get Bobby Czyz's vote on this after their sparring sessions.
You seem overly fond of this guy...so I don't mean any offense if the 2 of you are dating or something??? But c'mon the man was a jr. MW prior to prison and post prison does not factor into this conversation even a little bit...As much as you like him you would think that you would know this???
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69
You seem overly fond of this guy...so I don't mean any offense if the 2 of you are dating or something??? But c'mon the man was a jr. MW prior to prison and post prison does not factor into this conversation even a little bit...As much as you like him you would think that you would know this???
Yes, I am aware he was a jr. MW pre-prison. Dating?.....No, not my type.....however I will say that the guy fascinates me to no end. Tony is one of those classic "what-if" stories, ones I always like to ponder. The fact that I'm obsessive-compulsive, well, you know how that goes.

Reading stories about the guy pre-prison, I just can't help but think Tony would've been a top MW and then some. The kid had unnatural skill and power, with only a burning rage to match. I have little doubt he would've iced Davey Moore, Duran, Hearns, Benitez and at the very least, given Hagler a run for his money. Just a feeling I have. And no, I do not consider his post-prison record when I speak of him. That's a joke, although it can be said he was giving Campas some hellish body blows before he broke his hand.....

Another thing is I tend to get interested in things that interests nobody else. Most especially obscure subjects from years long past. Ayala fits into this category, after he went to jail the first time. It was in your state too. Do you remember anything about it? All I know is Tony finally got a fitting punishment.

Basically, Tony is no saint as a person, but what a prospect he was.....and the MW monster I believe he would've been.......
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #26
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx
Yes, I am aware he was a jr. MW pre-prison. Dating?.....No, not my type.....however I will say that the guy fascinates me to no end. Tony is one of those classic "what-if" stories, ones I always like to ponder. The fact that I'm obsessive-compulsive, well, you know how that goes.

Reading stories about the guy pre-prison, I just can't help but think Tony would've been a top MW and then some. The kid had unnatural skill and power, matched only by intense rage. I have little doubt he would've iced Davey Moore, Duran, Hearns, Benitez and at the very least, given Hagler a run for his money. Just a feeling I have. And no, I do not consider his post-prison record when I speak of him. That's a joke, although it can be said he was giving Campas some hellish body blows before he broke his hand.....

Another thing is I tend to get interested in things that interests nobody else. Most especially obscure subjects from years long past. Ayala fits into this category, after he went to jail the first time. It was in your state too. Do you remember anything about it? All I know is Tony finally got a fitting punishment.

Basically, Tony is no saint as a person, but what a prospect he was.....and the MW monster I believe he would've been.......
No I don't remember to much about it!? something about a break in and rape assault?? if memory serves...brother Mike ran into some drug issues as well. I don't know a whole lot about the other brothers??? Tony had promise written all over him...a high KO percentage 19 of 22 or something, but he did not seem to have focus in or out of the ring (spitting on people, flash Kd's by maldenado etc.0. i certainly can't rate him as a great based off of what he might have been or we could call david thompson the equal of michael jordan?
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #27
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
RJJ are you avin a laugh
Mike T is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #28
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten
Hagler was somewhat of an enigma in the power department. Looking at his KO % you'd assume he was a killer. In some of his fights, before and after winning the title he had some devastating KOs (frightening one against Sugar Ray Seales) and in others he looked as though he could barely crack an egg ( Duran comes to mind, and also how many clean punches did he hit Fully Obel with in the first fight before he succumbed??). Thoughts anyone?
Well i think Hagler is a sizable puncher but obviously not quite top shelf. The thing he does well tho is hit hard with most every punch he throws, he has sting in every delivery. Against top chins i don't think he will get many early or devastating stoppages, but he will be hell on sub par chins due to his class and consistency of power.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #29
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Not in order

Bob Fitzsimmons
Sam Langford
Eduardo Lausse
Florentino Fernandez
Stanley Ketchel
Eugene Hart
Gerald McClellan
Julian Jackson
Thomas Hearns
Ray Robinson
John Mugabi
Rodrigo Valdez
Nigel Benn
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #30
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Wouldn't put Nigel there, myself.

More of a break you down aggression guy. He'd flurry you out of there, not one shot you.
Russell is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum