Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #31
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Buakaw is no longer fighting under the Thai Fight promotional banner. He wwent AWOL a wekk or so before yesterdays Thai Fight fight night and is now being sued for 100 million baht by the Thai Fight group!!!

His head hasn't been in it for a while now, he seems to be stuggaling with his new foundfame in Thailand,he'son everything from beer cansto Airplanes to Thai business investment advertising.

Yodsanklai hassigned to the Thai Fight.
WTF? I hope he doesnt become a monk again...
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #32
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Thought it was odd he wasn't on the card.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #33
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

this is how alot of fighters end up piss poor for retirement.
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #34
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quite typical of Thailand for someone that looks like Buakaw to become very successful but get shafted way more than most.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Quite typical of Thailand for someone that looks like Buakaw to become very successful but get shafted way more than most.
Most old school boxers were used and discarded like this. Even some current guys have had big issues with finances.
Thracian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
Most old school boxers were used and discarded like this. Even some current guys have had big issues with finances.
Of course but in Thailand it's the rule. Every fighter, bar a few that have used their personality to stay on Thai TV and in the media (Buakaw has seen success in this field as of late, but Khaosai, Samart and Somluck are the three that have the highest profiles, acting in Thai soaps and commercials, commentating in Samart's case as well) are ****ed after they're washed up, usually before their mid 30s if they have exceptional longevity

Then they have to try and make money as a trainer, or even worse as a mutt for a vacationing farang to wail away on. EDIT: I have heard there is work for some guys as 'security', so essentially muscle.

And this is now, in these times. The whole sport is geared towards gambling and purses are down.

Still a great sport though, and Buakaw is way past his best anyway. Sadly it seems Penek Sitnumnoi, fighter of the year once removed, might be going the same way.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #37
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Of course but in Thailand it's the rule. Every fighter, bar a few that have used their personality to stay on Thai TV and in the media (Buakaw has seen success in this field as of late, but Khaosai, Samart and Somluck are the three that have the highest profiles, acting in Thai soaps and commercials, commentating in Samart's case as well) are ****ed after they're washed up, usually before their mid 30s if they have exceptional longevity

Then they have to try and make money as a trainer, or even worse as a mutt for a vacationing farang to wail away on. EDIT: I have heard there is work for some guys as 'security', so essentially muscle.

And this is now, in these times. The whole sport is geared towards gambling and purses are down.

Still a great sport though, and Buakaw is way past his best anyway. Sadly it seems Penek Sitnumnoi, fighter of the year once removed, might be going the same way.
Good post Flea I couldn't have said it better myself. So you had your eyes and ears open recently when hanging in the big pulsating Mango!

The well oiled convey belt of the Thai fight scene is akin to modern Greyhound racing with possibly even less emotion, something along the lines of it exists solely for the gamblers and if it can't run put it out of its misery!

About Penek, that's what I thought until I found out recently his lack of recent fights isn't down to him, it's down to his promotional team who after his last three losses are a bit cautious and worried what will happen to his rep if he losses again. Seems they want to build him up again before putting him in with any potential bouts or rematches with the regular set of big boyz. Shame as he is at the perfect point in his career to create a lasting legacy and start to develop into a possible ATG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
Most old school boxers were used and discarded like this. Even some current guys have had big issues with finances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtieDrake View Post
this is how alot of fighters end up piss poor for retirement.
You guys are missing the point, Buakaw is loaded. Since his split with Por Pramuk his celebrity fame has gone astronomical as have his earnings. He's endorsing just about everything going and is a regular on all manner of Thai TV shows. If you read back in this thread he's managed to break the traditional 50-50 money split for a 60-40 split, being the first and only fighter to ever do this and I think when he's endorsing as Buakaw Benchamek he get's the lot. And here in lies the current problem, he's become to rich and too popular to keep his head in the gym, popular in a way boxers can't dream of in Thailand. He just did a massive promotion with Miss World Thailand and was used as the cover model on the launch of Vogue Thailand FFS, this is unprecedented stuff for a boxer. people actually recognise him where ever he goes, this hasn't happened since the heady days of the Golden Age of MT with the likes of Samart and even then it wasn't like this. Life's just too dam good to get your mind back into relentless ruffhouse training for the toughest fight scene in the world and who can ****in blame him after over 20 years and 400 fights under conditions that'd make the Spartan's feel homesick for their sandals, claret capes and olive oil!

As Flea already noted only 4 previous MT fighters have crossed over to the Thai Chinese dominated world of the media and have been accepted, Samart, Khaosai, Somrak and Nong Toom. But Buakaw seems to have eclipsed them all, his popularity knows no bounds which is unparalleled for a boxer in Thailand.

The 100 million baht is nothing but a statement of intent to say "I'm not happy ****in sort me out!", a childlike public demand for something to happen, it'll get resolved somehow in a way that no one has to lose too much face, that's Thai politics for you.

On a side note last week just before the Thai Fight promotion took place Buakaw was on the cover of Muay Siam magazine with Kaeo Pongprayoon the silver medalist form the olympics stating there will be some kind of super fight between them. Another example of his current super star status, a weird golden age super fight between two Thais (pic below).

Here's a taster of what he's into publicity wise all encountered over the last week only and that doesn't include what I've seen on TV:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by boranbkk; 02-24-2013 at 01:09 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #38
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Anyway there was a double meaning in my first post on Buakaw being shafted that I'm surprised Boran didn't get.

BTW Boran you finally got me understanding MT and yeah, understand the Bangkok fight scene with first hand experience as well now (and looking forward to much, much more) Sound for that, although I've now got even less time on my hands
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #39
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

And shit is Penek really on that streak? Only seen his loss to Saenchai I think.

Anyway, Penek Vs Yodwicha sounds good to me, they can settle somewhere between 130-135 I'm sure
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 174
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Unfortunately Thai fighters are often treated like racing horses. I remember back in the MAX days when Buakaw was sleeping in a room with 4 other fighters while his rival Masato was reaping in millions. Go watch the national geographic "Kickfighters" to take a look at what Im talking about.
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #41
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Anyway there was a double meaning in my first post on Buakaw being shafted that I'm surprised Boran didn't get.

BTW Boran you finally got me understanding MT and yeah, understand the Bangkok fight scene with first hand experience as well now (and looking forward to much, much more) Sound for that, although I've now got even less time on my hands
Glad you enjoyed hanging in the big mango mate. Missed the double meaning there unless your talking about the bar scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
Unfortunately Thai fighters are often treated like racing horses. I remember back in the MAX days when Buakaw was sleeping in a room with 4 other fighters while his rival Masato was reaping in millions. Go watch the national geographic "Kickfighters" to take a look at what Im talking about.
I remember in Thailand in the late 90s early 2000s sleeping 10 in a line on the floor sharing pillows and blankets that must've been years old with only a fan or so between the lot of us. In the day while we were training mangy street dogs would go up to the dormitory and sleep on our blankets!

But then again it's another hard edge the Thais have that help them stay so untouchable at the top of the fight game.

By the way Masato was out there at around the same time as me but I think he was only there for a year, not sure what gym he fought of of but he'd definitely have had to ruff it unless he was somewhere like Fairtex or Jittis at that time.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #42
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Yeah, being from north east, making money but getting pounded for it
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #43
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

How can you estimate the net worth of Buakaw?
Thracian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #44
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
How can you estimate the net worth of Buakaw?
No idea, but he ain't broke. He's on the way up under his Benchamek name.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #45
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Buakaw Facing Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Good post Flea I couldn't have said it better myself. So you had your eyes and ears open recently when hanging in the big pulsating Mango!

The well oiled convey belt of the Thai fight scene is akin to modern Greyhound racing with possibly even less emotion, something along the lines of it exists solely for the gamblers and if it can't run put it out of its misery!

About Penek, that's what I thought until I found out recently his lack of recent fights isn't down to him, it's down to his promotional team who after his last three losses are a bit cautious and worried what will happen to his rep if he losses again. Seems they want to build him up again before putting him in with any potential bouts or rematches with the regular set of big boyz. Shame as he is at the perfect point in his career to create a lasting legacy and start to develop into a possible ATG.





You guys are missing the point, Buakaw is loaded. Since his split with Por Pramuk his celebrity fame has gone astronomical as have his earnings. He's endorsing just about everything going and is a regular on all manner of Thai TV shows. If you read back in this thread he's managed to break the traditional 50-50 money split for a 60-40 split, being the first and only fighter to ever do this and I think when he's endorsing as Buakaw Benchamek he get's the lot. And here in lies the current problem, he's become to rich and too popular to keep his head in the gym, popular in a way boxers can't dream of in Thailand. He just did a massive promotion with Miss World Thailand and was used as the cover model on the launch of Vogue Thailand FFS, this is unprecedented stuff for a boxer. people actually recognise him where ever he goes, this hasn't happened since the heady days of the Golden Age of MT with the likes of Samart and even then it wasn't like this. Life's just too dam good to get your mind back into relentless ruffhouse training for the toughest fight scene in the world and who can ****in blame him after over 20 years and 400 fights under conditions that'd make the Spartan's feel homesick for their sandals, claret capes and olive oil!

As Flea already noted only 4 previous MT fighters have crossed over to the Thai Chinese dominated world of the media and have been accepted, Samart, Khaosai, Somrak and Nong Toom. But Buakaw seems to have eclipsed them all, his popularity knows no bounds which is unparalleled for a boxer in Thailand.

The 100 million baht is nothing but a statement of intent to say "I'm not happy ****in sort me out!", a childlike public demand for something to happen, it'll get resolved somehow in a way that no one has to lose too much face, that's Thai politics for you.

On a side note last week just before the Thai Fight promotion took place Buakaw was on the cover of Muay Siam magazine with Kaeo Pongprayoon the silver medalist form the olympics stating there will be some kind of super fight between them. Another example of his current super star status, a weird golden age super fight between two Thais (pic below).

Here's a taster of what he's into publicity wise all encountered over the last week only and that doesn't include what I've seen on TV:
I can see how it could have gotten to buakaw having his image used for the publicity of Thai Fight. But didnt they support him during his past troubles. Arent they paying him? Doesnt he make loads more money than any other thais including guys like Saenchai, Singdam, Sam A ect. Guys that have fought harder competition, accomplished more, fought more times(I'v seen Saenchai and Sam a listed with more than 400 fights), and got less recognition for it?

This is the fight game right. You put your body and mind through hell in your youth so maybe someday if your lucky you can live a more comfortable life when you are older. Besides Buakaw always came off as something of an attention whore. He seemed to love being the center of attention, and it has got him payed and a shitload of easy opponents as of late. And has brought as a bonus, positive attention to Muaythai. Other guys in thaifight have at least had live opponents like Aikpracha, Singmanee and Sudsakorn. Most of buakaws opponents have been no hopers. And he refused to fight other Thai's like Khem and others for years.

Ill always be a fan of Buakaw and would like to hear his side of the story. But this annoys me somewhat. Maybe its just time for him to retire. But I would like to see him make better choices so he can go out on top. Cash in pocket, it doesnt seem hes making the right choice here and might just get raped financially for all the work he put in over the years. We'll see.


PS. Kaeo Pongprayoon didnt he get robbed at the Olympics? If I'm thinking of the right guy I definetly thought he should have won the gold. He's a southaw with agression and good straight left hand. I remember rooting for him Kaeo landed so many punches the supid judges didnt see it was ****ing disgusting. Too small to fight buakaw even in the picture buakaw looks to big for him.

Last edited by yaca you; 02-25-2013 at 06:14 AM.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013