Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

I say witherspoon outboxes him to a comfortable ud over 12 rounds.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,075
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
I say witherspoon outboxes him to a comfortable ud over 12 rounds.
Verry unlikley.

Dempsey is rightly regarded as a top 10 all time heavyweight. He would be expected to find a way to beat Witherspoon.

Last edited by janitor; 01-09-2008 at 04:02 AM.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: veenwouden-netherlands
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 75
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Whitherspoon on points....
heerko koois is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,075
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by heerko koois
Whitherspoon on points....
Witherspoon wouldnt last long enough for points to be a factor.

He is not elusive enough to stay away from Dempsey so I dont see him lasting the distance.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: veenwouden-netherlands
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 75
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Witherspoon wouldnt last long enough for points to be a factor.

He is not elusive enough to stay away from Dempsey so I dont see him lasting the distance.
Whitherspoon in his heyday had a great chin...he wasn,t knocked off his feet before the second Smith fight...before that he could last the distance with any heavyweight champion i think....
heerko koois is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,416
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

I would pick Tim Witherspoon to take this by late TKO.

Witherspoon's fights with Holmes, Tubbs, Bruno, Page, Snipes and several others were indications that he could compete with and even beat a lot of modern athletes who actually had a fair amount of boxing talent. He was well accustomed to fighting men who were of modern size, and himself stood 6'3" 215 Lbs on average. Spoon fought a very difficult style for most men to figure out and really did not have a genuine decisive defeat until probably Larry Donald in the late 90's. The decision losses to Holmes, Thomas, Martin and Mercer were all very close and somewhat controversial, while the Smith defeat was clearly a dive. Witherspoon had tremendous defensive skills and was not easy to hit, plus had a solid chin to compliment it. He could work the body, jab to the head, and had an overhand right that was lethal. Against a 188 lb Dempsey, Tim could be a real problem. Sure Dempsey was an all time great while Tim wasn't, but the only person standing in the way of Witherspoon being an all time great during his time was a man who I considered better than Dempsey, and some felt he was robbed of a decision. Thats to say nothing about the corrupt poilitics of the 1980's which kept Witherspoon from reaching his best.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,181
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I would pick Tim Witherspoon to take this by late TKO.

Witherspoon's fights with Holmes, Tubbs, Bruno, Page, Snipes and several others were indications that he could compete with and even beat a lot of modern athletes who actually had a fair amount of boxing talent. He was well accustomed to fighting men who were of modern size, and himself stood 6'3" 215 Lbs on average. Spoon fought a very difficult style for most men to figure out and really did not have a genuine decisive defeat until probably Larry Donald in the late 90's. The decision losses to Holmes, Thomas, Martin and Mercer were all very close and somewhat controversial, while the Smith defeat was clearly a dive. Witherspoon had tremendous defensive skills and was not easy to hit, plus had a solid chin to compliment it. He could work the body, jab to the head, and had an overhand right that was lethal. Against a 188 lb Dempsey, Tim could be a real problem. Sure Dempsey was an all time great while Tim wasn't, but the only person standing in the way of Witherspoon being an all time great during his time was a man who I considered better than Dempsey, and some felt he was robbed of a decision. Thats to say nothing about the corrupt poilitics of the 1980's which kept Witherspoon from reaching his best.
You think he went in the tank in the Smith rematch?

I thought he just went in the fight not in the best shape (mentally and physically) and got caught. Was it this fight where he was supposed to take a million and got like $90k?
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,416
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Behavior
You think he went in the tank in the Smith rematch?

I thought he just went in the fight not in the best shape (mentally and physically) and got caught. Was it this fight where he was supposed to take a million and got like $90k?
No, the Bruno fight was where he got screwed on his purse, then took King to court later. I started a whole thread on why he took a dive shortly before Christmas. If you scroll back a few weeks, you might find it, and see my explanation along with some of the responses it got.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Witherspoon's style is IMO similar to Ken Norton. He comes forward, but I think if he is pushed back, he doesn't do so good. Dempsey is all wrong for Witherspoon. This fight ends brutal for Spoon.

Jack Dempsey KO 8 Tim Witherspoon
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,075
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

People picking Witherspoon lack a realistic perspective on who and what Jack Dempsey was.

Dempsey was one of the three most destructive heavyweight punchers of all time along with Louis and Tyson. No fourth man can hold a candle to this trio with Sonny Liston perhaps coming the closest.

Witherspoon was a talented and under rated heavyweight but he was never in Jack Dempsey's class or even close to being.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

I think 'Spoon has a good shot at winning a decision here, he has the talent and stylisically will pose Dempsey a stern test. That fine jab of his will also be a mean tool.

I'm not certifing that view with total, cast iron confidence, though (if it was the likes of Lewis or Liston for example I would make them definite favourite to ice Dempsey). This is a tough fight to call, though.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
Witherspoon's style is IMO similar to Ken Norton. He comes forward, but I think if he is pushed back, he doesn't do so good. Dempsey is all wrong for Witherspoon. This fight ends brutal for Spoon.

Jack Dempsey KO 8 Tim Witherspoon
A very good analysis. It's not that Witherspoon isn't a very dangerous boxer or is totally out of his depth against Dempsey; it's that Dempsey perfected exactly the kind of style to match up with someone like Witherspoon.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,075
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
This is a tough fight to call, though.
I find it a verry easy fight to call.

There are only a small number of types of fighter who would have the tools to beat a prime Dempsey and Witherspoon dose not resemble any of them.

How can Witherspoon win even theoreticaly?
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #14
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I find it a verry easy fight to call.

There are only a small number of types of fighter who would have the tools to beat a prime Dempsey and Witherspoon dose not resemble any of them.

How can Witherspoon win even theoreticaly?
by outboxing him and stiffing his jab in dempseys face the enitre fight.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Jack Dempsey

Let's imagine that Tim Witherspoon comes to fight in-shape and motivated, and not sporting a pair of titties.

Those rare instances Witherspoon was pretty good, as he showed against Larry Holmes. I'd give him a good chance against almost any man. Beating Denmpsey is a lot to ask of him though, and I'd expect Dempsey to win.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013