Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default People give Pac and Martinez too much shit for not moving up in weight

Martinez is really a big JMW/small MW- his rough weigh-in average is floating around 157-158 and you guys expect him to fight guys who weigh in at 168?? If he cleans up and dominates the rest of 160 then it could be warranted but as of now seeing his performance as of late, if he moved up he'd probly get mauled

I made this thread right before Dzinziruk
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As for Pac, people give him shit for not moving up to JMW, the man has never showed up to a weigh in past 145 3/4. When he "moved up" to fight for that bogus JMW title (which I don't count btw) he didn't change his weight at all and after that, he was like **** that I was getting hurt by Concreto of all people minus the cement

expectations, expectations
megavolt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
KO Boxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950
Default Re: People give Pac and Martinez too much shit for not moving up in weight

I agree to a certain extent.

Martinez is maxed out at 160, and should only be looking at opponents from his own division (or high level opponents from 154 - and as if a middle weight fighter fighting 154 pounders is not a normal occurence ). Look at history.

Pac is a natural 147 pounder these days (or 144 pounds, whatever you like). No way he goes to 154, and I see him struggling to make 140.
KO Boxing is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: People give Pac and Martinez too much shit for not moving up in weight

lol pac has moved up like 8 weight divisions. anyone else his size wouldnt even be fighting at 147 right now. More like 135.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
lol pac has moved up like 8 weight divisions. anyone else his size wouldnt even be fighting at 147 right now. More like 135.
if you would really count, it's actually 11 divisions from where he started at 105. 105 - 154 (150) is 11 divisions and people are shitting on him when he said that he won't fight at JMW anymore.

both martinez and pac is in a situation that they are in a division but could not maximize the weight since they are maxed out by 2 or 3 pounds from the max limit. pac @ 144/145 for a 147 limit and martinez 157/158 for a 160 limit.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Moving up in weight is much harder than people make out.

The, Oh, he should just move up and challenge himself then...

type statements are ridiculous at times.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

vCash: 2146

Martinez is in a completely different situation than Pac. Pac has moved up 8 weight classes already and is almost always fighting guys bigger than him. Sergio on the other hand refuses to move up and calls out blown up lightweights to move up.
canucks9314 is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks9314 View Post
Martinez is in a completely different situation than Pac. Pac has moved up 8 weight classes already and is almost always fighting guys bigger than him. Sergio on the other hand refuses to move up and calls out blown up lightweights to move up.
Not everyone can move up weight classes as easily as others. Every boxer should be treated differently. Pacquiao shouldn't be the benchmark for what all boxers should be doing in terms of weight classes. The majority of boxers stay in or around that one weight class their whole career, some find it easier moving up two or three over a career, others (the minority) find it easier moving up 5, 6, 7, etc. Like I said, these are the minority. Just because Pacquiao has moved up so many, shouldn't mean that Martinez should have to, or is capable of doing so.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
The unfortunate scenario for Martinez is that he moved up right when Pac/Floyd exploded back onto the scene, and he was like **** I gotta move back down to make dat paper and they were like nah ni99a u too big for us now
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 185

I agree. . . Both Pac, and Floyd started boxing at the same weight - it's just Floyd had a much more extensive ammy career. . If he turned pro at the same age Pac did, then he would have been fighting at the lowest weights as well. . .

I don't get how people act like they would be "ducking" Martinez by not fighting him. . . That guy is a full sized MW. . . He looks like a poosy for trying to fight guys who could realistically still make 135 if they really cut weight like other boxers do.
king khan is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

vCash: 2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by king khan View Post
I agree. . . Both Pac, and Floyd started boxing at the same weight - it's just Floyd had a much more extensive ammy career. . If he turned pro at the same age Pac did, then he would have been fighting at the lowest weights as well. . .

I don't get how people act like they would be "ducking" Martinez by not fighting him. . . That guy is a full sized MW. . . He looks like a poosy for trying to fight guys who could realistically still make 135 if they really cut weight like other boxers do.
This.
canucks9314 is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
kylmac85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
if you would really count, it's actually 11 divisions from where he started at 105. 105 - 154 (150) is 11 divisions and people are shitting on him when he said that he won't fight at JMW anymore.

both martinez and pac is in a situation that they are in a division but could not maximize the weight since they are maxed out by 2 or 3 pounds from the max limit. pac @ 144/145 for a 147 limit and martinez 157/158 for a 160 limit.
anyone who actually counts the 8th "title" where he beat a guy coming off a brutal beatdown and 1 tuneup fight at a catchweight closer to ww than jmw for a vacant belt is jocking his nuts way too hard.
kylmac85 is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylmac85 View Post
anyone who actually counts the 8th "title" where he beat a guy coming off a brutal beatdown and 1 tuneup fight at a catchweight closer to ww than jmw for a vacant belt is jocking his nuts way too hard.
who is mentioning "title" on this thread dude? we are talking about how many "divisions" he moved up.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 185

Quote:
I concur.

Pacquiao basically walks around right at his current weight-class, and if he cut weight like Sergio did, he'd be fighting at 135-140.

I don't care what Lou says about Sergio's "walking around/natural weight" - he walks around at least 170-175, prolly more. I still remember the 30-day weigh in for the Williams/Martinez II fight, and Martinez weighed in @ 176 pounds Lol that means he prolly started camp at 185+ . . . He's either a full-sized, regular MW, or a very big 154 pounder. I also laugh at how he can make 154 easily, and is more "natural" there. Otherwise, why did he choose to keep the WBC 160 pound belt after beating Pavlik, rather than the WBC 154 title he still held? You'd think he would have gone back to 154 for the bigger fights, AND to be fighting at his "natural, most comfortable" weight. . .

I mean, I guess I can't really hate on Sergio for not wanting to move up to 168, or even entertain the idea of fighting Ward/Bute at a 164 pound catchweight. . BUT, if he expects guys like Pac/Mayweather to fight him, and he wants to call them "duckers", etc. for not fighting him, THEN he should be opened up to the same criticism for not fighting 168 pounders. Lol, and finally, there is a much more drastic difference in "natural size" between Martinez and FLoyd/Manny, than there is Martinez and 168 pounders.
king khan is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
s.i.mustata
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king khan View Post

Martinez called out PBF and Pac at JMW, a weight both had been champions; that's a fact.
s.i.mustata is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

As has been pointed out, I can't think of anyone who criticizes Pac for this. He's one of the preeminent weight-hoppers in all of boxing history. The issue with Sergio isn't that he won't move up to 168, it's that he's seemed so focused on trying to get Floyd or Pac to move up to face him and even going so far as to berate them for not fighting him, yet he's so opposed to moving up himself to fight a fellow top 10 P4P. It's the general hypocrisy of the situation that people criticize. Even then, most realize he's just looking for the best paychecks and Mayweather & Pacquiao obviously offer that.
the cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum