boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300
Default Re: When did you get caught in the hype?

I thought that Bruno had some kind of shot at beating Tyson in thier second fight.........

I must have been travelling through the ****ing twilight zone......
Bigcat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 40950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky
Bunch of dumb ****s are on the same train with Kessler - when he gets his ass kicked, I wonder if they'll stick around or do a Lacy fan situation and vanish?
Losing to Joe won't nullify the Beyer and Andrade fights.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I saw Lacy and thought he was a slow plodder with a punch. Anyone who can box with a chin would have beaten him.

I would say probably the Hatton hype, that was after he beat Tsyzu. But Hatton is really no hype so cant count that.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #19
See Me Flow
The Pharaoh of Boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity
I saw Lacy and thought he was a slow plodder with a punch. Anyone who can box with a chin would have beaten him.
Not trying to brag but I said this after Lacy fought Omar Sheika. However I initially pick Lacy over Calzaghe.
See Me Flow is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #20
David B
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by See Me Flow
David, when I used the phrase burden of proof I was referring to Calzaghe's inability to come to terms with Kessler. There's more evidence on behalf of Kesslers team that says he wants this fight more than Calzaghe does.

As far as Hops is concerned whatever reasons Hops and Calzaghe didn't come to fruition doesn't negate why Calzaghe hasn't stepped up to Lt. Hvy since he's 'cleaned out' the SMW division with the exception of Kessler.
interesting point of view,so you think there are some light-heavies who could present a real challenge for him.Would you favour him against Tarver and Johnson?
David B is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #21
joe33

vCash:

Im begining to get caught in the hype with amir khan and david hayes over here,i reckon both are gonna be really top guys,and hayes is staring to prove he is something good,khan needs more work,and maybe fight few more guys with decent power and KO records,but he looks good to me.
Before that it was sadly frank bruno when he took on tyson,i remember me and about a dozen guys watching it in a hall set up for the fight,the place was packed,and we all really believed big frank could do it,sadly of course it was not to be,but at least he tried in the first fight,unlike the rematch which was frankly(LOL) a disaster for him and the uk.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #22
See Me Flow
The Pharaoh of Boxing
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
interesting point of view,so you think there are some light-heavies who could present a real challenge for him.Would you favour him against Tarver and Johnson?
Not many. But the top 5 Lt. Heavies could possibly pose the toughest test for Calzaghe.

* Hops

* Erdei

* Adamek

* Dawson

I have to see Tarver fight a couple more times before I can make that determination.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #23
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Both Khan and Haye could really be something especially Khan.

Haye should stay at heavyweight, he is making a vital error in trying to shed solid muscle to make 190 pounds again, when he lookes great as a natural heavyweight, he may lose a lot of strength in losing the mass.. considering he is going to try to get back up to heavyweight once he is a cruiserweight champion..

If Haye is succesful there is no reason that he can't do what Audley couldn't as a top pro heavy.. He is an exciting young gun, the states will love his action packed style..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not trying to brag but I said this after Lacy fought Omar Sheika. However I initially pick Lacy over Calzaghe.
I only saw 2 fights of Lacy before Calzaghe, one was against Pemberton. I felt that Pemberton who was a total bum and was dealt with in the same fashion as Manfredo had far too much success with Lacy. He got KO in the 2nd or 3rd round but prior to that, Lacy was getting hit too easily and was moving like a plodder trying to get to him. Lucky for Lacy, Pemberton was shot with no chin.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #25
See Me Flow
The Pharaoh of Boxing
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
Both Khan and Haye could really be something especially Khan.
BC, what weight is Haye walking around at the moment. One of the avatar pictures Haye looks like he's a good 220.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRegister
Lacy is not wasn't/ isn't elite!

You become elite when you beat elite and Lacy had beaten nobody that was near that level.

I even said when I picked Lacy to win that he was nowhere near a great fighter!
he was a damn good fighter hit very hard had good skills and had done stuff the best of the division couldnt do.

outpointed the alian grant
knocked out lightheavy wiggins
knocked out syd vanderpool outpointed glen johnson and fought bernard hopkins
went the distance with omar shieka in a slugfest
knocked out the unknockoutable robin reid
and had finished off one time prospect pemberton

damn good credentials
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #27
deram
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
David, when I used the phrase burden of proof I was referring to Calzaghe's inability to come to terms with Kessler. There's more evidence on behalf of Kesslers team that says he wants this fight more than Calzaghe does.

As far as Hops is concerned whatever reasons Hops and Calzaghe didn't come to fruition doesn't negate why Calzaghe hasn't stepped up to Lt. Hvy since he's 'cleaned out' the SMW division with the exception of Kessler.
Hang on... slow down.. say what?

Calzaghe has... cleaned out?

LOL?

In the last couple of years Kessler has met the Ring no. 3 (Mundine), no. 4 (Beyer), no. 5 (Siaca) and recently the then no. 5 (Andrade). Meanwhile Calzaghe has been meeting Ashira, Lacy, Bika and Manfredo. With the exception of Lacy (then Ring no. 3) if Calzaghe has been 'cleaning up' it is not in the top contender ranks.

But ok.. at least it IS cleaned out (although it is going overboard crediting Calzaghe with doing it) and only Kessler and Calzaghe are left. Some new young names are coming up, but of the established fighters only those two are left standing.
deram is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #28
See Me Flow
The Pharaoh of Boxing
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deram
Hang on... slow down.. say what?

Calzaghe has... cleaned out?

LOL?
'Cleaned out' in single quotation, Dream. I'm stating what others have said although Calzaghe has yet to fight Kessler.

Quote:
In the last couple of years Kessler has met the Ring no. 3 (Mundine), no. 4 (Beyer), no. 5 (Siaca) and recently the then no. 5 (Andrade). Meanwhile Calzaghe has been meeting Ashira, Lacy, Bika and Manfredo. With the exception of Lacy (then Ring no. 3) if Calzaghe has been 'cleaning up' it is not in the top contender ranks.
I know this. Refer to my previous statement.

Quote:
But ok.. at least it IS cleaned out (although it is going overboard crediting Calzaghe with doing it) and only Kessler and Calzaghe are left. Some new young names are coming up, but of the established fighters only those two are left standing.
But why wait for the new, younger fighters when the real challenge for Calzaghe is at Lt Hvy? If Calzaghe doesn't fight Kessler who most perceive is the toughest challenge for him at SMW why linger around for up and coming fighters unless Calzaghe chooses to take the low road to retirement?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
he was a damn good fighter hit very hard had good skills and had done stuff the best of the division couldnt do.

outpointed the alian grant
knocked out lightheavy wiggins
knocked out syd vanderpool outpointed glen johnson and fought bernard hopkins
went the distance with omar shieka in a slugfest
knocked out the unknockoutable robin reid
and had finished off one time prospect pemberton

damn good credentials
That doesnt make you elite. Fact that you mention Pemberton as one of the presequites for making him elite is a joke...do you remember Manfredo knocking the same guy out?

People question if Hatton is elite...in my mind he is definetly elite. The guy is undisputed champ of his division and he has HOF'mers on his resume as well as a few titlists. Lacy is in the ranks of Maussa and Harris...their not elite. Contenders more like.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #30
deram
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
'Cleaned out' in single quotation, Dream. I'm stating what others have said although Calzaghe has yet to fight Kessler.

I know this. Refer to my previous statement.

But why wait for the new, younger fighters when the real challenge for Calzaghe is at Lt Hvy? If Calzaghe doesn't fight Kessler who most perceive is the toughest challenge for him at SMW why linger around for up and coming fighters unless Calzaghe chooses to take the low road to retirement?
Calzaghe should not 'wait' for the younger guys. I am no way suggesting that. However, with two unusually clear top fighters in the division it will look VERY bad if Calzaghe once again does not fight the other guy.

LHW comes a distant second - but granted - still ahead of waiting for the young guns to blossom. At LHW there is imo. pretty much only two fights that people will not look down on in hindsight. That is Dawson or the winner of Winky-Hopkins. Pretty much everyone else is worse than staying at SMW accumulating defenses. After all Calzaghe will have to give up his "longest reigning champ in boxing" if he moves up.

Either way - Kessler is an absolute must for Calzaghe. After that he can think about LHW.
deram is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum