Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Chunky
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
vCash: 1815
Default What now for Degale?

He did exactly what he would have wanted to last night and can't really have many complaints with his performance, was pretty much exactly how he would have wanted it to go. So what no for Degale, he clearly isn't ready for anyone in top 10 of the world, but there are some very good fights out there for him.

I think Maxim Vlasov would be a good fight to make, think he would cause Degale a few problems but would see him coming through that to take the win
Chunky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
miguel2010
His hands are his weapons
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: @miguelredders
Posts: 4,716
vCash: 756
Default Re: What now for Degale?

The buture's fright.
miguel2010 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Camm
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 79
vCash: 75
Default Re: What now for Degale?

I would disagree, i reckon he could hang with a few in the top ten at the moment! It was a good win last night, but he struggles when fighters come at him (rabbit/headlights and all that) and that cost him against Groves.

Looking back i think he might have beaten Groves with a bit more aggression
Camm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel2010 View Post
The buture's fright.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camm View Post
I would disagree, i reckon he could hang with a few in the top ten at the moment! It was a good win last night, but he struggles when fighters come at him (rabbit/headlights and all that) and that cost him against Groves.

Looking back i think he might have beaten Groves with a bit more aggression
None of this post makes any sense at all. He struggles with aggression and it cost him against Groves, who kept it at range and played it safe? If he'd been more aggressive he's have just been countered more. He was completely inaccurate, rarely catching Groves clean.

And it's fair to say that both men just seem to cancel each other out stylistically.

Do you just throw out random phrases and clichés and hope they might be accurate by law of averages?

The real issue for DeGale is that he struggles when he can't dictate the tempo and range of the fight. We saw it in back to back fight and, even last night, when Sanavia piled forward he just backed straight up.

The solution? Get him a new trainer.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Camm
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 79
vCash: 75
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
None of this post makes any sense at all. He struggles with aggression and it cost him against Groves, who kept it at range and played it safe? If he'd been more aggressive he's have just been countered more. He was completely inaccurate, rarely catching Groves clean.

And it's fair to say that both men just seem to cancel each other out stylistically.

Do you just throw out random phrases and clichés and hope they might be accurate by law of averages?

The real issue for DeGale is that he struggles when he can't dictate the tempo and range of the fight. We saw it in back to back fight and, even last night, when Sanavia piled forward he just backed straight up.

The solution? Get him a new trainer.



Nah mate, it just a couple of points! Not something i was expecting to be critiqued on!!

When Groves came forward at some points Degale was lost and i could see shades of that last night! And in my opinion he has a decent enough chin to risk it some more and be more aggressive!

I'm the cliche here - get a new trainer?? wow! ****ing cutting edge stuff there!
Camm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,942
vCash: 122
Default Re: What now for Degale?

A brushdown & a bucket of oats

James DeGale MBE is a strange fighter, he can look world class & awful in the space of a few seconds

A physically gifted guy with a decent chin & some lovely moves he didnt slap as much as he normally does last night but he hasnt settled into a style which makes best use of his considerable talents.

Jimmy Mac patting him on the head isnt going to improve his technique or tactics, a new trainer & a new promoter might be the catalyst for some much needed changes.
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camm View Post
Nah mate, it just a couple of points! Not something i was expecting to be critiqued on!!

When Groves came forward at some points Degale was lost and i could see shades of that last night! And in my opinion he has a decent enough chin to risk it some more and be more aggressive!

I'm the cliche here - get a new trainer?? wow! ****ing cutting edge stuff there!
Saying someone should do something isn't a cliché, a cliché is an overused phrase to describe something - like rabbit in the headlights.

Anyway, I was being harsh because it was the morning and I'm not a morning person. But what you said really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Groves made DeGale look lost because he wouldn't fight at the range he prefers. George wasn't really aggressive except when DeGale flurried away on the inside, then he'd uncork some body shots to create space again.

We saw in DeGale's next fight that he struggles when he doesn't set the tempo and range, not that aggression is problem. Paul Smith was aggressive but he didn't set the range the fight happened at, so it wasn't such a problem.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
A brushdown & a bucket of oats

James DeGale MBE is a strange fighter, he can look world class & awful in the space of a few seconds

A physically gifted guy with a decent chin & some lovely moves he didnt slap as much as he normally does last night but he hasnt settled into a style which makes best use of his considerable talents.

Jimmy Mac patting him on the head isnt going to improve his technique or tactics, a new trainer & a new promoter might be the catalyst for some much needed changes.
What are these "talents"?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,942
vCash: 122
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
What are these "talents"?
I'll tread carefully as I dont want to start an argument, just my opinion

- Balance & co-ordination
- Hand speed & reflexes
- Strength & size at 168lbs
- Good chin, some lovely defensive moves & general toughness

dyaknowhatamsayin?
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 736
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
What are these "talents"?
Although Degale does have his flaws, he does have positive attributes. He has good hand speed compared to a lot of SMW, so far he has shown a good chin but it is yet to be tested againsr a big puncher, he also shown he has heart because he had to dig deep against the pole and i think that if he gets in control he can downhearten an opponent
CamR21 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
I'll tread carefully as I dont want to start an argument, just my opinion

- Balance & co-ordination
- Hand speed & reflexes
- Strength & size at 168lbs
- Good chin, some lovely defensive moves & general toughness

dyaknowhatamsayin?


It's the first time I've seen any one actually define these beyond saying he's got "great potential". Broadly I'd agree - I'm not sure his defence is particularly lovely. He constantly gets himself out of position and backs into the ropes.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
Broony
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Not his biggest fan but he'll win a world title
Broony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,942
vCash: 122
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post


It's the first time I've seen any one actually define these beyond saying he's got "great potential". Broadly I'd agree - I'm not sure his defence is particularly lovely. He constantly gets himself out of position and backs into the ropes.
Hence me saying "some" lovely defensive moves, youre right that he can get disorganised at times & often goes straight backwards & onto the ropes.

The switch hitting doesnt help & he can get lazy with his footwork defensively, instead of pivoting properly he'll just turn his hips & change stance.
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
Camm
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 79
vCash: 75
Default Re: What now for Degale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Saying someone should do something isn't a cliché, a cliché is an overused phrase to describe something - like rabbit in the headlights.

Anyway, I was being harsh because it was the morning and I'm not a morning person. But what you said really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Groves made DeGale look lost because he wouldn't fight at the range he prefers. George wasn't really aggressive except when DeGale flurried away on the inside, then he'd uncork some body shots to create space again.

We saw in DeGale's next fight that he struggles when he doesn't set the tempo and range, not that aggression is problem. Paul Smith was aggressive but he didn't set the range the fight happened at, so it wasn't such a problem.

No worries, maybe the Groves fight is a bad example.

To repeat my cliche though, in my opinion though he does look like a rabbit caught in the headlights when some aggression is shown towards him. fair play regarding the point about range - this probably has more impact.

What do think of his inside game? This is what i am really getting at with aggression - to me he has the physique (including his massive dome) and chin to make better use of this in fights!
Camm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013