Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611
Default Rewatched Joe vs Kessler

I rewatched this fight a few mins ago just to see where Kessler was hurt (in regards to a thread in the General Forum). Joe def did get his attention at the end of the 8th round with a few good body shots.

I watched the entire fight and i must say it was a good contest, the British commentators were good and i agreed with their unbiased scoring. Although Kessler landed the bigger shots they were too few and far between on the busier Joe who at times tapped his way to winning a few rounds.

Kessler just lacked that little bit of skill (movement & punch variation) to score pts. He was just trying to time his 1-2 all night, at times it was effective but most of the time it wasnt.

Joe was great at mid to short range mixing it up moving in and out. I rematch would be a good fight but i just dont think Kessler with his style has the ability to outbox Joe.

Just a thread to break the little lull in action of the Aussie ESB

discuss
teke is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Default Re: Rewatched Joe vs Kessler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButaboutBute
Both would murder Mundine.
I see

My opinion is both would fiddle with the overrated Butes corn hole.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
One more time, in English, please!
Sorry my bad, both Joe and Kessler would stick their fingers up Butes bum
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Every time i've seen Bute i just cant see what all the fuss is about, he isnt overly blessed with speed, skill or movement however he is big, strong and a southpaw which itself a good combination. Im very intrigued with Bute but doubt he has the goods to be long term champ.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Given that he is likey to step up against Kessler in 2009, he isn't as likely to stay champ for as long as some. By "some", I mean, Calzaghe and Kessler, the other recent Champs at 168.

Every time you have seen Bute, you have seen him win, cautiously at first, confidently in the latter rounds. If he improves that defense and head movement, he can stay champ for quite a bit.
Kessler wasnt champ for that long, well not compared to Joe. Bute keeps winning and that's the main thing, his path seems to be in one direction which is a good thing.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Faetter_BR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Well I agree with most of the origional post - with a few add-ons.

One of the things Kessler does very well - is learn. He listens very much to his trainer and most does what he is asked. Against Calzaghe this became a problem though as his trainer really sucked - he liyed about the score telling Kessler he was behind, when he wasn't and the coaching from the corner from round 5 was - "hit him more and harder" - really insightfull!

Kessler lost this fight in training - he wasn't proberly prepared - which his trainer has admidtet - his trainer thought it would be an easy fight for Kessler - again very insightfull. Kessler thought he was hopelessly behind from round 5 - and went for that one big punch the rest of the fight - instead of boxing.

But enough ramblings - If they wehre to fight again and Kessler got a prober trainer - then I'd give him a good chance.

One thing that I was very happy about though - was Kessler's abilities on the inside - he was actually better than Calzaghe on the inside - coming into the fight many thought Kessler couldn't fight in close - he showed us he could that just fine (as I've been saying all along - seen him sparre ) ... that Calzaghe then went on to out-jab Kessler - well didn't see that one coming :(

Kessler has to learn to adapt to his opponent - his "problem" is/was he never had to before. He had been used to being the one defining the fight. Calzaghe is on the other hand a master of adapting - mayby his biggest asset (amongst other good ones). As long as the fight was going after Kessler's dictation he was ontop - Calzaghe saw his plan not working and changed it - and Kessler was able to adapt well enough and lost the fight -although he gave Calzaghe his closest fight til this date.
Faetter_BR is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Faetter_BR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
Kessler wasnt champ for that long, well not compared to Joe. Bute keeps winning and that's the main thing, his path seems to be in one direction which is a good thing.
Well depends on who he fights - if he defends against opponents like Mundine's latest victims, then he can be champ for 20 years and I still wouldn't rate him above Kessler
Faetter_BR is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faetter_BR
and Kessler was able to adapt well enough and lost the fight -although he gave Calzaghe his closest fight til this date.
Robin Reid.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

When i first watched the fight i was amazed with Joe but he is kinda sloppy and comes in with his head down.

I think Hopkins will beat him but i hope not.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

He has always been a little bit sloppy at times especially when he throwing them fast child like combos but hey he is dam effective.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faetter_BR
Well depends on who he fights - if he defends against opponents like Mundine's latest victims, then he can be champ for 20 years and I still wouldn't rate him above Kessler
Geez Mudine cops some flack about his taxi rides...but he's got 20 mill up his sleeve Which is better $$$ or pride & respet in your chosen profession because he definately doesn't have both.
one in a million is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #12
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Kessler certainly has the ability to beat JC.

You could be right about his preparation leading into the fight. It was a close fight and JC never looked like stopping Kess at any stage, whereas JC looked a bit more vulnerable to a stoppage.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beaver
Kessler certainly has the ability to beat JC.

You could be right about his preparation leading into the fight. It was a close fight and JC never looked like stopping Kess at any stage, whereas JC looked a bit more vulnerable to a stoppage.
Kessler does have the ability to beat Joe, however at the end of round 8 Kessler was whincing in pain from body shots.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #14
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
Kessler does have the ability to beat Joe, however at the end of round 8 Kessler was whincing in pain from body shots.
Which was brought on by 'nervous energy'.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

That comment goes into the archives
teke is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum