Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Degale - Respect?
He's taking the hard route. Respect. 43 32.33%
He's an arsehole. 58 43.61%
He's overrated and overconfident. 26 19.55%
I've always liked him. 33 24.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default James Degale - Respect?

The amount of abuse he gets on this forum is massive, he is chastised for many reasons, ranging from his intelligence to his looks.

He is repeatedly labelled as 'arrogant' and this all came to a head with the Groves fight especially the infamous Ringside interview between the two:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCaQvMsKbQ[/ame]

Since the razor-thin decision loss, the former British champion has gone to win the European belt in with a gutsy SD over a tough (not quite teak) Pole and has gone to Denmark, with absolutely no fanfare/promotional protection and KO'd a former world titlist in four rounds.

He has won an Olympic Gold representing GB, British Champ within ten fights, took on his most fierce rival very early (giving the fans what they wanted) and became Euro champ within 15 fights.

Should he be given more respect? Whats your opinion of Chunky?

Last edited by Lilo; 04-23-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Grammar - sorry Taylor
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Bryn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Wales
Posts: 4,250
vCash: 2221
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

'cameo in the godfather, cue dftaylor'

Bryn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nr Scunthorpe
Posts: 2,390
vCash: 100
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

I like him. Sometimes he says things that make him look like a proper mong though. Hopefully he'll grow out of that.

His last few fights have been impressive (from Paul Smith onwards).

In his last fight, I couldn't figure out why the little Italian guy fell over, the first knock down. What the **** happened there?
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Knack
..
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 161
vCash: 706
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
The butres fright, the butres bunky. I jest, but when he when he appears on TV calling people ugly boy and ginger kid etc he deserves all the stick he gets. I'm not sure how a person can feel for him after he dishes out so much vitriol, abuse and arrogance himself, I'm sure he wouldn't get any himself if he wasn't such a bully.
Knack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

This was meant to be serious!

For me, I judge fighters on exploits within the ring.

He doesn't duck anyone, takes on challenges and wins most of them.

His awayday in Denmark has got to be one of the most underrated achievements of one of our top fighters for years. Noone takes those types of risks anymore.
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nr Scunthorpe
Posts: 2,390
vCash: 100
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
His awayday in Denmark has got to be one of the most underrated achievements of one of our top fighters for years. Noone takes those types of risks anymore.
I'd agree with this if Sanavia was a dangerous opponent. But he wasn't. Also DeGale didn't really have any option other than defending his title in Denmark did he?

Last edited by SteelTownCobra; 04-23-2012 at 04:58 AM.
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

^^^
Many would of vacated. Very easy to say Sanavia isn't dangerous after he's been KO'd in 4.

When was the last time a top British fighter defended his Euro belt away from home on another promoter's card? (I realise I'm leaving myself open here...)
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Bryn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Wales
Posts: 4,250
vCash: 2221
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
This was meant to be serious!

For me, I judge fighters on exploits within the ring.

He doesn't duck anyone, takes on challenges and wins most of them.

His awayday in Denmark has got to be one of the most underrated achievements of one of our top fighters for years. Noone takes those types of risks anymore.

OK, seriously....

I find it difficult to take him seriously, he is just a comical figure. Although he is progressing well and doesn't get any recognition for fighting good opposition. He's not missed anyone out at domestic level, including his biggest rival, and he has also gone on the road in his last fight and won convincinly. He's definitely got a lot more to show and is still essentially a prospect.
Bryn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
Llanlad
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
has gone to Denmark, with absolutely no fanfare/promotional protection
This is what can happen to a guy that has no respect for anyone but himself and thinks winning a gold medal gives him free reign ( horse pun ? ) to behave in a totally unacceptable manner.

Its nigh on impossible for him to shake off people's opinion on him as a individual ...regardless of how well he performs or achieves from here on in.
Llanlad is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nr Scunthorpe
Posts: 2,390
vCash: 100
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
^^^
Many would of vacated. Very easy to say Sanavia isn't dangerous after he's been KO'd in 4.

When was the last time a top British fighter defended his Euro belt away from home on another promoter's card? (I realise I'm leaving myself open here...)
Sanavia hasn't beaten a decent opponent in years. DeGale is a league above him. Also, it wasn't like he was fighting in the opponent's back yard either, it was a neutral venue so there was no real need to worry about home town judging.
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,619
vCash: 664
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
^^^
Many would of vacated. Very easy to say Sanavia isn't dangerous after he's been KO'd in 4.
Sanavia hasn't won a fight of any note since 2004....he wasn't a risk to DeGale
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

It always puts a smile on my face when George stuck it straight back at Johnny
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
OK, seriously....

I find it difficult to take him seriously, he is just a comical figure. Although he is progressing well and doesn't get any recognition for fighting good opposition. He's not missed anyone out at domestic level, including his biggest rival, and he has also gone on the road in his last fight and won convincinly. He's definitely got a lot more to show and is still essentially a prospect.
The legit Euro champion is a prospect - says it all really. Sounds like you think he can go a lot further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanlad View Post
This is what can happen to a guy that has no respect for anyone but himself and thinks winning a gold medal gives him free reign ( horse pun ? ) to behave in a totally unacceptable manner.

Its neigh on impossible for him to shake off people's opinion on him as a individual ...regardless of how well he performs or achieves from here on in.
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownCobra View Post
Sanavia hasn't beaten a decent opponent in years. DeGale is a league above him. Also, it wasn't like he was fighting in the opponent's back yard either, it was a neutral venue so there was no real need to worry about home town judging.
It was Sanavia's promoter's card though.

If Groves had done what Degale has done he'd be getting blown off on here
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #14
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
OK, seriously....

I find it difficult to take him seriously, he is just a comical figure. Although he is progressing well and doesn't get any recognition for fighting good opposition. He's not missed anyone out at domestic level, including his biggest rival, and he has also gone on the road in his last fight and won convincinly. He's definitely got a lot more to show and is still essentially a prospect.
spot on there, hes got potential will just have to wait and see
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 999
Default Re: James Degale - Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
^^^
Many would of vacated. Very easy to say Sanavia isn't dangerous after he's been KO'd in 4.

When was the last time a top British fighter defended his Euro belt away from home on another promoter's card? (I realise I'm leaving myself open here...)
Gavin Rees, a month ago
kosaros is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013