Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 04-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253
Default Things to do After Punching without being predictable

for boxing

i tried it today, although i did find myself throwing, one two, slip to the outside counter back.

but some moments made me predictable like after i threw a couple of punches id swatt my left or right hand to parry the punch comming and turns out there wasnt a punch. So i left myself open but if i sparred someone more experienced i would have gotten clocked pretty bad.

Is this right? am i supposed to sort of guess like this because i feel as if its sort of risky but it was the first time i really employed slipping in the middle of my punches and parrying and i countered well when i got the timing right.

and could someone give some advice on what else to do? ill practice on the bag for this drills like one two, slip pivot out? etc etc my gym doesnt really teach about angling out. the place i live in its pretty hard to find a gym thatll be good as the ones in the states. Boxing isnt very big here
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Things to do After Punching without being predictable

hmm you can always step back and then fire again
highguard is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Thats the Hard bit, thinking .
scrap is online now  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I usually keep my upper-body moving in a steady rhythm, up, down, right, left, back, forward, etc. Once I'm done punching, I usually side-step or back-step and move my head with my hands up, ready to slip or parry anything that's coming, but not committing to any extensive parries or blocks unless I know the punch is coming. Another thing you can do besides side-stepping or weaving under a punch to the side is punch on the move, which requires being able to step with the punch, and angling out that way.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There is a lot of thought that goes into this, and where you build it is in your imagination when you are shadow-boxing, when you are hitting the bags. You test it out when you spar. I can give you a million examples but my imagination is no more valid than your own, and you have to know your own abilities and strengths to execute each move. Let me try and explain.
Each sequence of moves you make begins with what you do to create an opening to punch through. So you practice making moves that create openings, slips or parries, etc...Then you learn which punch best exploits that opening, and you drill that move and that punch. Then it becomes, do I throw another punch? Do I get out? You get to the point where, in the ring against a particular opponent, you know; he jabs, I slip inside with a right to the heart, weave outside with a left to the belly, right over the top. Now you got in, threw your shots and your outside, finishing the sequence from a place where he can't reach you.
So each move determines the next and you know them in advance. You might just slip and counter, then get out. You might slip, then let several go. There is no one answer that fits, it all depends and you have to be thinking. How you finish depends on where your weight is when you finish punching- does it lend itself to sliding left, right, etc...? The punch you block or parry is not based on what he throws, because that would make you too late. It is based on what you would expect him to do, based on what you have just done. That is why some fighters always look like they know what is coming next, and some get blind-sided.
If I were there in the gym with you, we would address this situation in everything we did. I'd be over your shoulder talking to you while you hit the heavy bag, and, on the mitts, I'd constantly be directing you as to which moves to make, which punches to throw, how to get out, etc...Just trying to get you thinking, to replace my voice with your own.
You can teach yourself a lot of that, a trainer can only steer you in that direction, and only you are master of your thoughts. Watch Ricardo Lopez, Mike McCallum, Buddy McGirt. Try and think what they are thinking, then steal their moves for those situations, then create your own.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
light-welter
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Move out of range at different angels and look to set up different shots as a result of these angels.
light-welter is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

we all have faults in the way we box,,try to watch the others sparring and look for opening
123ko is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I like the drop. After you punch, most will counter with a head shot. Lets say you do 1-2 then drop, they might counter with a left hook or a stright right, which both will miss.

But of course like you said, do it more that a couple of times, then they will time you. I like to mix the stide step, slip and drop.
LongJab is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

If you have the mindset of using a slip to get into punching position, then you have the opportunity to counter the guy's counters. This alone will keep his punch rate down.

So, after jabbing, or after every combination, you should slip into a hooking position or a right hand counter position. And always dip like you're going to slip under the punch because they're always aiming at where you're head WAS.

Of course, to change up, you vary the distance by stepping in, stepping out, or staying in place. You can also step to the side as you slip.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
East Side
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

there are numerous things that you can do after punching. The secret is to never do the same thing 2 times in a row. Never do one thing and follow it with the same thing time after time. Do not develop patterns and your opponent will never have a pattern to pick up on.
East Side is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing