Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default The Myth-buster thread ***Duran-Leonard 1 WAS NOT CLOSE***

Naz - Barrera has been dusted now, so we move on.

Hands of Stone vs The Sugar Man

Many people, particulalrly Leonard fans, continually say this was a CLOSE FIGHT, and that Ray fought the WRONG fight. Bullshit on both accounts. Duran drew Leonard into a slugfest, brought the fight up close, and out worked Leonard throughout the fight. Ray wasnt given the chance to fight his fight, and was out-muscled by the lightweight. Duran landed the better, harder shots throughout, and won 10 round to 5 on my card (145-140). Here is my rbr breakdown:

Duran – Leonard rbr

Round 1 – Close round with Duran forcing the action. 1-0 Duran

Round 2 – Duran round, hurts Leonard midway through. Good body shots. 2-0 Duran

Round 3 –Leonard spends 2 of the 3 minutes with his back on the ropes, Duran punishing him on the inside. Ray isn’t boxing the wrong fight, Duran is imposing himself on Ray, pounding the body. 3-0

Round 4 – Ray keeps the distance better for 90 seconds before Duran hits whim with a bomb. works inside. Ray having slightly more success, but the harder punches are coming from Duran on the inside. Much closer round, but still Duran for me. 4-0

Round 5 – Much better work from Leonard. His best round as he outworks Roberto. 4-1

Round 6 – Leonard again not doing enough. The combinations lack the force, and the majority are blocked by Duran on the inside. A couple of good single shots from Ray are nullified by Roberto’s work up close. But i’m feeling generous, Ray nicks the round. 4-2

Round 7 – Two best shots of the round were both left hooks, both scored by Duran. Ray’s body shots are not having as much effect as Duran’s left to the body. Again, the classier work is from Duran. 5-2

Round 8 – Duran misses with a wild right, and what’s this, he does a little dance to Ray! Quiet first 2 and a half minutes with both fighters taking a breather before Duran explodes with a right, driving Ray back. More body work wins him the round. 6-2

Round 9 – Naughty from Duran. Leads with the head and catches ray on the ref’s blind side, clearly bothers ray. But again, Sugar is looking sour as Duran outworks him clearly to win another round. The 135lb man is out-muscling the large Welterweight. 7-2

Round 10 – Duran gets bored of out muscling Ray on the inside, so out-jabs him instead. Boom, big right from Duran, he forces his way inside and works the body. Anyone else see a pattern here? Every time Duran comes in Ray flinches rather than punches. Ray lands a few good shots at the end of the round, but the damage has already been done. 8-2

Round 11- Finally another round for Ray! An absolute peach of a shot catches Duran coming in. An uppercut follows. Good action on the inside, with Leonard definitely getting the better of it. He needs more. Much more. 8-3 Duran

Round 12 – Frustration! After a good previous round, Ray concedes the initiative and allows Duran to outwork him. A left-right-left combo from Duran is the best flurry of the round. The better work on the inside again allow duran to nick the round, and looks very confident going back to his corner. 9-3

It is interesting that after 12 rounds, Ray has been out muscled by the lightweight, and beaten up on the inside. Ray has only won 3 rounds on my card. In comparison, Naz Hamed won 4 rounds on my card against Barrera after 12 (with 1 even), and that is considered a schooling. Can the same be said for this fight?

Round 13 – BOOM, big left from Duran tags Leonard. BOOM, big right tags Leonard! BOOM, another right! Ray is certainly showing his chin, but he is now out and out slugging with Duran. And he is coming off second best. Duran looks as if he lands 80% of his punches in that round. Good flurry at the end of the round by Leonard, but that isn’t enough to cancel out Duran’s good work previously. Great from Roberto. 10-3

Round 14 – Duran waves Leonard towards him at the start of the round, and Ray obliges, tags Duran with a hard shot. Very nip and tuck round, Duran perhaps landing more, but Ray comes on strong for the last 30 seconds, and we see the BOLO PUNCH from Ray. Nice. He even throws it GOING BACKWARDS AND HOLDING DURAN’S HEAD! Bonus points for cheekiness. He is getting beaten up, but still showcases his many talents. Good round for Ray. 10-4

Round 15 – Really good final round, but not for the action. Midway through, Ray throws a flurry of punches, and Duran ducks and weaves past them all. Leonard just can’t hit him! Duran sticks his chin out. ‘Hit me, hit me’, but Leonard cant. Ray does, however, land the better shots in the final stanza to take the round. 10-5

Ray puts his hands in the air to claim victory, which annoys Roberto. ‘**** you. You shit, I beat you, *****!’ he says in broken English.

145-140, 10 rounds to 5 in Duran’s favour. The proof was in Ray’s swollen and dejected face.

When hearing that one of the judges had it a draw, the ESPN commentator says ‘well, he must have showed up late and missed a dozen rounds. It was Duran all by himself and took the fight away from Sugar Ray Leonard.’

Can we dispell this myth once and for all?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwxhqOpA1M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZnsDfrnZjY&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT1hknlqzIo&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFt2vePFXHc&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDq2rAP9CfU&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u45xvjRSvAk&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Final part can be seen on YouTube.

Lets get everyone's thoughts on this, regardless on the bias commentary on this version in Ray's favour

Last edited by Vano-Irons; 04-30-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Myth-buster thread ***BARRERA DID NOT SCHOOL NAZ***

Aye he did ...
alba is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think that people were surprised that disciplined boxing could make Naz look (in parts) out of his depth.

Il have a watch again, not seen it in years.

You scored a round 9-9 in a ten point must system?....
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Aye he did ...
please post a scorecard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
I think that people were surprised that disciplined boxing could make Naz look (in parts) out of his depth.

I think you are forgetting a little head in turnbuckle moment in which Marco was deducted a point
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
10 point must before point deductions. Barrera wins round 10-9, loses a point so it's 9-9.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
10 point must before point deductions. Barrera wins round 10-9, loses a point so it's 9-9.

is that definately true?

seem to remember something letterman said to the contrary?
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:

12th round 10-9 Barrera but with a point deducted for the wrestling move (cheating Mexican cunt)
icemax is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Herol Bomber Graham was chinny.
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Naz got schooled.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

My scorecard was as follows

Rounds Barrera - Naz

Rd 1 10 - 9

rd 2 9 - 10

rd 3 9 - 10

Rd 4 10 - 9

rd 5 10 - 9

rd 6 10 - 9

rd 7 10 - 9

rd 8 9 - 10

rd 9 10 - 9

rd 10 9 - 10

rd 11 10 - 9

rd 12 9 - 9

Total - 115 - 112, 7 rounds to 4 in Barrera's favour, with 1 even
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
is that definately true?

seem to remember something letterman said to the contrary?
Well you can't have it 10-10 if he lost a point, and to give it 10-9 Naz would be the equivalent of taking away 2 points if he won the round.

Where it's never 9-9 is when there are multiple knockdowns for both guys which some people seem to think.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

It wasn't a schooling in sense of a massive shutout but it was a clinical and classy boxing display from a aggressive fighter. Naz had no answers to it and was outboxed over the course of 12 rounds. He won a few rounds here and there but he was beaten by a great fighter who boxed to a disciplined plan and exposed the flaws that Naz style had. It was wide enough to say comfortable victory for MAB.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I think it was bordering on a schooling, either way, Naz was soundly beaten.

Barrera was the easiest matchup of the three Mexicans for him IMO.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
It wasn't a schooling in sense of a massive shutout but it was a clinical and classy boxing display from a aggressive fighter. Naz had no answers to it and was outboxed over the course of 12 rounds. He won a few rounds here and there but he was beaten by a great fighter who boxed to a disciplined plan and exposed the flaws that Naz style had. It was wide enough to say comfortable victory for MAB.
Indeed. Marco was utterly superb, he really was. In the build up he was giving it the 'i'll brawl with him', which would have been suicidal against a puncher like Naz. He outboxed Naz, no doubt about it. But I dont think he totally outclassed him in every round (the definition of a schooling, no?)

2 judges had it the same as i did (115-112), as did Ledermen IIRC.

I'm not sure how you can be schooled if you win 4 rounds (1/3 of the fight) against an elite level opponent
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
I think it was bordering on a schooling, either way, Naz was soundly beaten.

Barrera was the easiest matchup of the three Mexicans for him IMO.
Morales would have fought fire with fire, which would have played right into Naz's hands. The prince would have knocked him out IMO

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum