Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #136
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1034
Default Re: Matchroom secure 20+ dates on sky sports, malony a few,Hatton none. Manipulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
What is the full story, If there are no TV dates left after the 20 given to Matchroom and the 4 given to Maloney then its bang out of order, if there are dates that are still open to pitch for and the best cards gets accepted then that can only be a good thing surely?
I found out about a week ago but didn't know the numbers until yesterday. As I posted a few days ago, the boxing budget at Sky has been halved so I don't expect there will be any additional domestic shows.
Longcount is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #137
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matchroom secure 20+ dates on sky sports, malony a few,Hatton none. Manipulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Its a bit shitty that Sky have just got rid of Hatton and I would have preferred that they gave him a deal, but boxing is a business and some of Sky's biggest critics love to roll out that line at every opportunity - so spare me the morality argument. It doesnt matter that Hatton was their biggest fighter etc, doesnt mean shit and is irrelevant. Boxing is a business, remember.

But, Matchroom are without a shadow of a doubt the best promoter in the UK and have put on the best fights and shows, so I am glad they are in the ascendency.

If it werent for David Price, Maloney would have been a goner as well, his cards have been the worst and once he eventually leaves the scene he will not be missed in the slightest.

I would like to see next generation of promoters doing under cards for some of Hearns shows i.e. Spencer Fearon, Dave Coldwell and also in Ireland, Brian Peters. If Hearn can collaborate with his output, then overall this isnt such a bad thing. But time will tell, so lets give steady Eddie a chance to deliver and I think he will.
Spot on,i was going to make along post saying exactly the same thing
ashedward is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #138
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
I found out about a week ago but didn't know the numbers until yesterday. As I posted a few days ago, the boxing budget at Sky has been halved so I don't expect there will be any additional domestic shows.
If that's the case then that's terrible, I like Hearn as a promoter but to give him that much leeway and monopoly over the sport is worrying, I hope Hatton gets a good gig and sticks two fingers up to sky, if he don't then sky have basically ruined his stable of fighters, shocking treatment.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #139
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

make of this what you will, but there is a rumour circulating that FW has been talking to other broadcasters...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #140
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

He's only just set up Boxnation

Wouldn't mind if Boxnation stopped the domestic stuff though and just provided us with overseas fights. I'm sure a lot more would subscribe as well seen as many on here are put off by Frank's involvement in the channel

----

On the Hatton thing...wasn't Adam Smith telling Hearn on the Brook/Hatton card that they want Quigg/Frampton. How the ****s that fight going to happen now if Hatton Promotions aren't with Sky anymore. ****ing mongs.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #141
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
exactly. I hope this doesn't signal the end.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #142
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:

Wouldn't mind if Boxnation stopped the domestic stuff though and just provided us with overseas fights. I'm sure a lot more would subscribe as well seen as many on here are put off by Frank's involvement in the channel
You hit the nail on the head Ishy, I have re-subscribed but thats due to the oversea fights, when Frank announces his stable's upcoming match-ups the temptation is always there to say bollocks Im not paying. Boxnation would be better if he wasn't involved and I honestly believe that.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #143
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leforge View Post
I am not surprised. He should have been in matchroom postion with 20 dates.
Frank chatting to Channel 5?
I Shot JR is online now  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #144
PRETTYBOYFLOYD.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 407

Hearn is getting his feet under the table far to much with Sky and what has got him his popularity is putting him main assets i.e Froch, Barker in against the best (Or atleast talks about) but with him having all these dates now he will be wanting to protect his best assets and draw them out to a big ppv like we are seeing with Brook.

Also i am hoping loads of fighters don't switch to Matchroom as i don't think Eddie Hearn having leverage on Sky is a good thing....Sky should be calling the shots not him!
PRETTYBOYFLOYD. is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #145
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

They should at least have gave Hatton a couple of dates so he could fill them with his best fighters.
I'd take that over a journeymen Prizefighter show.
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #146
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
exactly. I hope this doesn't signal the end.
19,000 subscribers is unsustainable (if it is even that). FW put on a couple of great shows before the channel moved to a subscription channel but since then his shows have been poor.

Groves, Degale, Cleverly, Burns - where is the exciting match ups for these guys? These are his best fighters.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #147
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Frank's piece about the lack of boxing on the BBC in The Sun a few weeks ago makes perfect sense if he is indeed talking to a terrestrial channel. That said, he could just be trying to flog a highlights show.
I Shot JR is online now  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #148
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
On the Hatton thing...wasn't Adam Smith telling Hearn on the Brook/Hatton card that they want Quigg/Frampton. How the ****s that fight going to happen now if Hatton Promotions aren't with Sky anymore. ****ing mongs.
I think that we'll see a lot of this type of thing happening...instead of quality fights we'll just get in-stable fights instead. It should make purse bids interesting at the very least.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #149
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Hearn is fast turning into a poison.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #150
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm pretty certain that Allegedly won't be giving up on Boxnation just yet, having invested 2m of his own money in the venture.

The days where he used to receive a yearly 1m ''consultation fee'' from Sky are long gone though.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum