Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019
Default Re: The problem with Sky boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
Fantastic on paper but in reality that would not work. How could you financially gear a promotional outfit to win dates on tender? There is hardly any money in boxing promotion as it is.
Would it need to be financially geared?

Promoters can submit potential card, and Sky choose who gets the gig.

Would undoubtedly increase quality.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Longcount
boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
Would it need to be financially geared?

Promoters can submit potential card, and Sky choose who gets the gig.

Would undoubtedly increase quality.
In an ideal world.

Can you imagine the financial demands of the fighter's managers if a promoter's contract hinged on that tender? It just wouldn't work. The chain is strained enough as it is.
Longcount is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
Me personally I couldn't give a shit about promoters, they've had the run of the sport for years and too many fights have failed to happen due to differences between opposing promoters. Putting on shit match-ups and awful fight cards all the while pocketing the money off gullible tv companies.

Learn to work together to put on fights between the best in the division or all action fights that the fans want to see or **** off and let the TV companies dictate what product they want to buy
I agree with your complaints about the match ups etc and over the years it has been shit, but TV have a role in putting that right. But, they need a realistic strategy to do that. Tendering fights is Alice in Wonderland - it will never work. What promoter is going to put their balls on the table and hand a big contract to two or three Olympic stars on the back of a tendering scenario? Get real! What will happen is pittance offers will be made to the best fighters - who will get offered a lot more overseas.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

Quote:
In an ideal world.

Can you imagine the financial demands of the fighter's managers if a promoter's contract hinged on that tender? It just wouldn't work. The chain is strained enough as it is.
So you dont think we can afford an increase in quality?

I aint expecting Groves-Degale every show.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
sidthehat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

What have promoters done to earn this trust from Sky?
sidthehat is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #21
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
That is an aspiration. How do you expect a promoter to build a stable of top stars without a guarantee of x number of dates?
What you will end up with is a situation where Doc Kearns type promoters rule the roost....no thanks
icemax is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #22
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
In an ideal world.

It's either accept it, or don't earn.

If you're good enough, the rewards will follow down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I agree with your complaints about the match ups etc and over the years it has been shit, but TV have a role in putting that right. But, they need a realistic strategy to do that. Tendering fights is Alice in Wonderland - it will never work. What promoter is going to put their balls on the table and hand a big contract to two or three Olympic stars on the back of a tendering scenario? Get real! What will happen is pittance offers will be made to the best fighters - who will get offered a lot more overseas.
It can work, if it's done right.

I don't really give a **** if the Olympians want to go overseas, they can take the money if they want.

Taking the money hasn't helped any of the class of 2008, because they haven't been able to fight often enough to develop as pros, as a result.

If they were given more realistic deals, it would leave more money in the pot to make better matches for them, and for everybody else, and people wouldn't want to see them beaten as much.

DeGale and Gavin have both been guilty of banging on about ''I'm giving you more money'' or ''you can't afford me''. That breeds contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
So you dont think we can afford an increase in quality?

I aint expecting Groves-Degale every show.
Exactly.

If you want to make mismatches, do it on your own TV channel, or try and find a network abroad that will accept it.

Shape up, or shit out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthehat View Post
What have promoters done to earn this trust from Sky?
Nowt.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #23
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Sky are clearly going for the HBO/ Golden Boy business model. I actually think its a good idea. As long as they are more thoughtful about what they show.

Those three fights after Bellew were pretty pointless even though I had an interest with Scott Cardle in action. Simply make decent main events and decent undercards.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #24
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
What you will end up with is a situation where Doc Kearns type promoters rule the roost....no thanks
Or have four promoters that rule the roost but wont match their fighters together. No, I will take the one big player if he makes the matches.

I want to see the best domestic fighters facing each other before moving on to European or World level. With four promoters they are not risking that, they are going for the easier money and fastest route to a world title shot.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #25
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If there's a promoter that will do it, and the terms of his contract dictates that he does it.... it might be worth a try.

Of course, we've seen promoters not wanting to make in house fights before. Maloney didn't want to make Price vs Dallas until both were at world level - that is, until Dallas ''beat'' Zack Page.

Hennessy was keeping Barker away from El**** unnecessarily, then in came Macklin to do the job and take the British title.

There's loads of examples.

If Hearn delivers fights like Brook vs Hatton routintely then great - but what they must do is make sure that fighters who aren't with them aren't left out in the cold, not getting title fights and whatnot.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
sidthehat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Sky are clearly going for the HBO/ Golden Boy business model. I actually think its a good idea. As long as they are more thoughtful about what they show.

Those three fights after Bellew were pretty pointless even though I had an interest with Scott Cardle in action. Simply make decent main events and decent undercards.
I didn't see all the show on Friday but am I right in thinking they didn't show the Hamilton-Watson fight? I'm biased because I know Darren but anyone could see this was a competitive fight and more interesting viewing than prospect-journeyman shit they showed after Bellew.
sidthehat is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthehat View Post
I didn't see all the show on Friday but am I right in thinking they didn't show the Hamilton-Watson fight? I'm biased because I know Darren but anyone could see this was a competitive fight and more interesting viewing than prospect-journeyman shit they showed after Bellew.
No they didn't show it, even Boxnation probably wouldn't have shown Johnny Greaves and whoever the other 3-40 guys they put prospects in with. The only thing worth seeing was one nice KO, the rest was pointless.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Its like they don't even think what to show. Just whatever fits in the time. There is no thought or strategy.

They need to create a relationship. I know exactly how i'd do it.....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Its like they don't even think what to show. Just whatever fits in the time. There is no thought or strategy.

They need to create a relationship. I know exactly how i'd do it.....
how could they form this relationship, and can it be done?

boxing is a total shambles (worldwide?), its actully incredibly frusating being a boxing fan, and i can see exactly why causal sports fans dont eve try follow it.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #30
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

Sky could do worse than look at Friday night Shobox.

Time and time again they put on a great show. Lots of prospects facing each other or being gutchecked. They don't pour big money into it but it delivers.

Last Fridays show opener was brought to DiBella Entertainment, Gary Shaw Promotions, Top Rank and Showtime. This is how it should be done. All the guys share the pie and they are willing to put their guys in risky fights. Win some, lose some but the promoters know as long as they keep Showtimes quality control happy, they'll keep getting their fighters on the show.
Scotty321 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum