Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
JC2006
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 19911
Default How can anyone give Cotto a chance?

No, seriously...

The only question is whether Floyd will win by decision or stop him. Don't bring up some Buster Douglas shit either!
JC2006 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
JC2006
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 19911
Default Re: How can anyone give Cotto a chance?

In fact, all my vcash may as well go on Floyd right now. Why wait? And it's Jesse Jane in my avatar, for anyone who is wondering.
JC2006 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Cotto is an elite fight with a strong punch.
Floyd mayweather is human like everyone else.

I understand that Cotto has a mountain to climb but its ignorance to say he has absolutely no chance.
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
DogTheBountyMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2634

COTTO by far toughest test since Corales.
Miguel is a tough ****n out in this sport.
Shane and Ortiz are cakewalks compared to Miguel.
DogTheBountyMan is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogTheBountyMan View Post
COTTO by far toughest test since Corales.
Miguel is a tough ****n out in this sport.
Shane and Ortiz are cakewalks compared to Miguel.
Cotto gets so overrated. He isn't that ****ing elite. Who has he beaten that was elite since moving up to 147?

Gift against Clottey.
Questionable against Shane.
Nutpunched his way out of the Zab fight.
Beat to sleep fair and square by Margarito.
Got ****ed up by Pac.
"Revenge" against Margarito who Pac ruined.
One-legged jewish kid.

He gets all the breaks, but May 5th I will enjoy watching him get the hell beat out of him with no excuses.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
devon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeckBreaknAiken View Post
Cotto gets so overrated. He isn't that ****ing elite. Who has he beaten that was elite since moving up to 147?

Gift against Clottey.
Got ****ed up by Pac.
"Revenge" against Margarito who Pac ruined.
One-legged jewish kid.

He gets all the breaks, but May 5th I will enjoy watching him get the hell beat out of him with no excuses.
You can nitpick ANY fighters resume Cotto may not be on the same level as Floyd or Manny but he is the toughest fighter Floyd has faced since Oscar.
devon is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

How can you not give him a chance?

It is boxing afterall.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
PRPapi2dabone
I SEE YOU
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

Because hes Boooooorriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. We got that Boricua Power pai
PRPapi2dabone is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Capitan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2006 View Post
No, seriously...

The only question is whether Floyd will win by decision or stop him. Don't bring up some Buster Douglas shit either!

I actually know Cotto will pummel Floyd then KO him after he embarrassingly hds on for dear life!!!
Capitan is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

cotto has the best resume in boxing
Slicknick56 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknick56 View Post
cotto has the best resume in boxing

No he doesn't. He won't even have the best resume of the fighters fighting on May 5th. He's a very good fighter though, and has accomplished a lot in this sport.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379360

Relying solely on the jab isn't going to win him the fight, but it is a way in which he can set up his offense. I've often mentioned Floyd has a habit of leaning and/or walking straight back when reacting to punches, and that's why a good jab and sometimes a straight right behind it work so well in making him retreat. Cotto has to be relaxed when he pressures, much like he was against Foreman, and efficiently control the center of the ring while cutting off exit routes and applying pressure (this is where I think Castillo, for all of his gamesmanship, failed in the rematch). I don't think Floyd can "run" from Cotto all 12 rounds, and I don't think that's his plan. When Floyd is sizing him up and timing him early, Cotto must press. The fight will inevitably end up on the inside; Floyd is sharper on the inside, but Cotto is more destructive and will have a physical advantage. One thing I notice a lot of fighters do when they attack Floyd is smother their own offense when they tag him, instead of calmly picking their shots and setting up combinations that are more difficult to anticipate. Cotto on the offensive is verry used to taking advantage of such a dynamic; he has shown much improved balance and a much tighter guard, which will help him in the clinch.

Pressing and then backing off is a good way to confuse Floyd as well. Turning southpaw while coming forward and then baiting Floyd when backing out to the center again is something I'd try to do to walk him into a left hand as he tries to land a response to win the round. Breaking rhythm is important, and switching stances without giving Floyd time to completely adjust to a southpaw stance is a great way to give fresh new looks and open up new offensive opportunities. Cotto has great timing when he turns southpaw at range, and up close, it helps him get leverage into his left-side punches.

Floyd is probably eventually going to come forward, as most guess, and this is an opportunity Cotto has to set further traps. Floyd's pressure is very controlled, and consists of carefully picked punches as he cuts off the ring. The difference we would see between Ortiz and Cotto would be that Cotto can fight off the back-foot fairly well with accuracy and balance, has great lateral movement, and isn't afraid to push back when pressured. Working off the jab while never giving Floyd an angle to plant himself and land hard punches would allow Cotto to unexpectadly become the ring general, and would give him the opportunity to again disrupt his rhythm by rushing Floyd and surprising him with hard, quick three punch combinations before restarting his movement. Assuming Cotto can win 4 of the first 6 with the offensive activity in first game-plan, being prepared with this adjustment would help him steal further rounds and land the more eye-catching blows. If turning southpaw in spots worked in the first game-plan, then doing it again in the second half might be beneficial as well, depending on what look Floyd is giving him. Pushing Floyd right back and making him taste discouraging punches may work just as well. We all realize Floyd has the superior accuracy and defense up close and has the much faster punches, but at the very least, if Cotto can't anticipate Floyd's punches, he can throw with Floyd, and it wouldn't surprise me if doing so repeatedly taxed Floyd much more than it damaged Miguel.

The trick is to maximize Cotto's dimensions, which are far more capable than anyone is giving him credit for. It's a difficult task and I understand completely why people favor Floyd, but to say Cotto can't beat Floyd without the right set of game-plans, hungry mentality, and physical preparation is absurd. Anyone has a chance to upset anyone else, and considering this test can easily be seen as his stiffest challenge since DLH, an upset would not be the strangest thing to happen in the sport of boxing.

No way Cotto does worse than Ortiz.
Like that.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Capitan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Like that.

Merryweather made it clear that he trained for this fight the same as he did for the Ortiz fight!

Pedro clearly said they are prepared for Merryweather and anything he will bring.

Big error on Merryweather...Cotto is a much better fighter than he was even from his last fight!!!
Capitan is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP

vCash: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeckBreaknAiken View Post

Gift against Clottey.
Got ****ed up by Pac.
"Revenge" against Margarito who Pac ruined. severe eye damage
One-legged jewish kid. twisted his knee

mayorga injured his arm/hand against cotto.

...streak continues when floyd breaks a bone on his hand, floyd will be unable to continue the fight, cotto by tko.
dodong is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Floyd does get caught from time to time. Cotto is a good finisher.
Slothrop is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum