Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #16
Galaxy.
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 424
vCash: 257
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Dawson's resume is impressive & he's the only fighter to decisively beat Hopkins since Jones
Galaxy. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,464
vCash: 233
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urone2 View Post
The only young guy with experience he fought he lost to and now doesn't want the rematch. Going after smaller Ward, Dawson is a joke. His mental lapses and lack of power is all I see. when challenged he tends to stop fighting like he did in rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6 last night. He needs to fight Pascal, that's the only fight I would like to see him fight right now and will make it a point to avoid his fight if he avoids Pascal.
he does want the rematch. He wants it more than Pascal, but Pascal is fighting Cloud
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Lost me as a fan because of his mental lapses and giving his belt to Pascal. Won me over again with his sportsmanship and performance Saturday. Love both fighters and hope Dawson is next in line for nxt great at LHW behind Hopkins and Jones. Erdei too if anyone considers him great but I don't know much about him.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: mexico
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

this was his best win to date.
Quincy K is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,927
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley View Post
Yes, three of those guys were old, but he's not the one who ranked them in the top five. Dawson has accomplished what few fighters of his era can claim: Dominance against the most celebrated opponents in his division.

His last seven fights (not including Hopkins I) have come against someone in the top five. Four against Tarver and Johnson combined, then one against Hopkins, Pascal and Diaconu.

I understand why people aren't big fans. But for a guy who's still in his 20s, that's one hellacious resume. Congrats to Chad, who hopefully will continue fighting elites in 2012/13. First things first, he needs to avenge Pascal.

After avenging Pascal, I'm not sure there's a clear path for him to even plateau, let alone move at an incline. Light heavyweight is just so barren. Lots of solid B-level guys but nobody you'd really call elite. Cleverly, Shumenov, Bellew, Chilemba, Cloud, Campillo...and beyond that tier Gutknecht, Sukhotsky, Braehmer...then, Grachev?

Of course, Kessler's efficacy moving up remains to be seen.

I mean, is there even a clear #3 behind Dawson and Pascal? Cloud by default, as unbeaten (but flawed and overly power-reliant) titlist?

It may boil down to needing Ward to move up for Dawson to maintain his run of elite challenges. That, or make the leap up to Cruiserweight.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
After avenging Pascal, I'm not sure there's a clear path for him to even plateau, let alone move at an incline. Light heavyweight is just so barren. Lots of solid B-level guys but nobody you'd really call elite. Cleverly, Shumenov, Bellew, Chilemba, Cloud, Campillo...and beyond that tier Gutknecht, Sukhotsky, Braehmer...then, Grachev?

Of course, Kessler's efficacy moving up remains to be seen.

I mean, is there even a clear #3 behind Dawson and Pascal? Cloud by default, as unbeaten (but flawed and overly power-reliant) titlist?

It may boil down to needing Ward to move up for Dawson to maintain his run of elite challenges. That, or make the leap up to Cruiserweight.
Campillo, Pascal II assuming he beats Cloud, .....Cleverly maybe, then thats it. Doubt Erdei is still around by then too plus he's past prime. He would need Ward assuming he beats Bute. Both would be needing to meet up in the same division eventually I agree with that.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
After avenging Pascal, I'm not sure there's a clear path for him to even plateau, let alone move at an incline. Light heavyweight is just so barren. Lots of solid B-level guys but nobody you'd really call elite. Cleverly, Shumenov, Bellew, Chilemba, Cloud, Campillo...and beyond that tier Gutknecht, Sukhotsky, Braehmer...then, Grachev?

Of course, Kessler's efficacy moving up remains to be seen.

I mean, is there even a clear #3 behind Dawson and Pascal? Cloud by default, as unbeaten (but flawed and overly power-reliant) titlist?

It may boil down to needing Ward to move up for Dawson to maintain his run of elite challenges. That, or make the leap up to Cruiserweight.
Oh, I don't think there's any question he'll have to tap into the 168-pound guys. After Pascal and perhaps Cloud if he can redeem himself, there's not much money in the division. I really hope he won't go up to CW, because I doubt he'd have any sustained success there.
Lampley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

There will be no demand for a Campillo fight. He doesn't have a belt or name recognition. It's Pascal II and Cloud, then hope Bute an Ward come up, or go to Cruiser and dominate there as I see him as much more talented than anyone at that weight.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
There will be no demand for a Campillo fight. He doesn't have a belt or name recognition. It's Pascal II and Cloud, then hope Bute an Ward come up, or go to Cruiser and dominate there as I see him as much more talented than anyone at that weight.
I know I just think he deserves it more than Cloud because of their fight together. Would also love to see their styles against each other as I think that would be a harder fight than Cloud. Dawson is too quick for Cloud but the same can be said for anyone else at his division.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #25
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,927
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley View Post
Oh, I don't think there's any question he'll have to tap into the 168-pound guys. After Pascal and perhaps Cloud if he can redeem himself, there's not much money in the division. I really hope he won't go up to CW, because I doubt he'd have any sustained success there.
Me too. I see him getting knocked out (after becoming a "deer in the headlights" the first time he feels big-man power) by a much, much, much, much lesser p4p fighter who's simply too big and strong - ie a Lebedev, Hernandez or Huck.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 75
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
I know I just think he deserves it more than Cloud because of their fight together. Would also love to see their styles against each other as I think that would be a harder fight than Cloud. Dawson is too quick for Cloud but the same can be said for anyone else at his division.
"Deserves it more than Cloud"...That makes perfect sense.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
"Deserves it more than Cloud"...That makes perfect sense.
He got robbed is what I mean.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Honestly I don't know why he gets so much criticism, the tools and talent are there...I think people get upset that he doesn't have a crowd pleasing style UNLESS you're into technical bouts.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,927
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Honestly I don't know why he gets so much criticism, the tools and talent are there...I think people get upset that he doesn't have a crowd pleasing style UNLESS you're into technical bouts.
It's funny because neither does Hopkins (in fact his style is even worse to watch) yet B-Hop was everyone's sentimental favorite throughout the rivalry. Even before the TKO/NC weirdness.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
tobias
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 75
Default Re: Chad Dawson: Improves to 7-1 against top-five opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
W Tomasz Adamek
W Glen Johnson
W Antonio Tarver
W Antonio Tarver II
W Glen Johnson II
L Jean Pascal
W Adrian Diaconu
NC Bernard Hopkins
W Bernard Hopkins II

One of the best active resumes in the whole sport.
What happened to Diaconu? Retirement?
tobias is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013