boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944
Default Joe Louis Never Proved That He Deserves The Number One Slot ATG Heavyweights

Joe Louis never proved in the ring that he deserves to be the greatest ever because he never beat a single top 10/top15 heavyweight of all time. Muhammad Ali on the other hand, beat three top tenners and several top 25's. Justify putting Louis above Ali in terms of greatness

(This isnt an opinion, just interested to see how people who have Louis Number one justify his selection)
garymcfall is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Joe Louis Never Proved That He Deserves The Number One Slot ATG Heavyweights

Schmeling and Walcott aren't exactly low ranking HW's.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Louis Never Proved That He Deserves The Number One Slot ATG Heavyweights

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcfall
Joe Louis never proved in the ring that he deserves to be the greatest ever because he never beat a single top 10/top15 heavyweight of all time. Muhammad Ali on the other hand, beat three top tenners and several top 25's. Justify putting Louis above Ali in terms of greatness

(This isnt an opinion, just interested to see how people who have Louis Number one justify his selection)
Simple really.

Louis fought in a weaker era but he was much more consistent and dominant.

So take your pick.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Neither are Liston, Frazier , Foreman, Norton etc. I'm not disputing that Schmeling and Walcott werent great fighers, they were, im just asking how someone can justify having Louis infront of Ali in terms of legacy and greatness.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Simple really.

Louis fought in a weaker era but he was much more consistent and dominant.

So take your pick.
But do we know the truth about Joe Louis? Do we know how he'd really do against atg's such as marciano, frazier, foreman, dempsey, lewis, holmes etc? Ali beat three of the top ten greatest heavyweights of all time in my book so we KNOW that he is not only in that company, but probably the best in that company. The same can not be said for Louis, because he never actually proved it, true, or false?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Sonny's jab

vCash:

It's just an opinion to say Liston, Frazier and Foreman must rate higher than Walcott or Schmeling, for example.

All-time rankings are just opinion.

To say Ali must be number 1 because he beat X, Y and Z who are rated 7,8 and 9 for example, is BAD LOGIC because it presupposes the rankings that it sets out to prove.
In other words, you've already DECIDED who ranks where and then you pretend you're reasoning objectively to come up with your number 1 !
Old 01-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcfall
But do we know the truth about Joe Louis? Do we know how he'd really do against atg's such as marciano, frazier, foreman, dempsey, lewis, holmes etc?
That logic cuts both ways.

I could play devils advocate and argue that the contenders of Louis's era were better than the best of the 70s but they failed to establish themselves as greats because Louis was so far ahead of the field and dominated them.

Quote:
Ali beat three of the top ten greatest heavyweights of all time in my book so we KNOW that he is not only in that company, but probably the best in that company. The same can not be said for Louis, because he never actually proved it, true, or false?
My take?

The best of Louis's era (Baer, Schmeling and Walcott) were indeed behind Liston, Frazier and Foreman qualatativley but ahead of the rest of that era including Norton. Therfore they have no real paralels in the 70s.

Louis might not have beaten a Frazier or Foreman but he crushed the Quarrys, Youngs and Lyles of his era so convincingly that they became known as the bum of the month club.

It is a dificult comparison at the end of the day. I could pick some of Ali's oponents that Louis would fare better against and vice versa.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

[quote=janitor]
Quote:

That logic cuts both ways.

I could play devils advocate and argue that the contenders of Louis's era were better than the best of the 70s but they failed to establish themselves as greats because Louis was so far ahead of the field and dominated them.

My take?

The best of Louis's era (Baer, Schmeling and Walcott) were indeed behind Liston, Frazier and Foreman qualatativley but ahead of the rest of that era including Norton. Therfore they have no real paralels in the 70s.

Louis might not have beaten a Frazier or Foreman but he crushed the Quarrys, Youngs and Lyles of his era so convincingly that they became known as the bum of the month club.

It is a dificult comparison at the end of the day. I could pick some of Ali's oponents that Louis would fare better against and vice versa.
Totally agree, I can't Louis for not fighting a fellow top 10 ATG opponent but he fought who was there and beat them all.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
They both rank outside of the top 10. I don't think they come close to being widely considered better than either Frazier, Foreman or Liston.

Whilst they were good, they weren't that good. They probably rank about as high as a guy like Ken Norton.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
They both rank outside of the top 10. I don't think they come close to being widely considered better than either Frazier, Foreman or Liston.

Whilst they were good, they weren't that good. They probably rank about as high as a guy like Ken Norton.
no higher
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Foreman was strong and powerful and all that, but Walcott was a better boxer.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
It's just an opinion to say Liston, Frazier and Foreman must rate higher than Walcott or Schmeling, for example.

All-time rankings are just opinion.

To say Ali must be number 1 because he beat X, Y and Z who are rated 7,8 and 9 for example, is BAD LOGIC because it presupposes the rankings that it sets out to prove.
In other words, you've already DECIDED who ranks where and then you pretend you're reasoning objectively to come up with your number 1 !
What do you consider as being GOOD LOGIC? I'm curious as to how you go about making your ratings while avoiding the bias trap.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Foreman was strong and powerful and all that, but Walcott was a better boxer.
A Foreman Walcott fight would be in no way a foregone conclusion.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Louis was more dominant and active. Not really Ali's fault that he had the Vietnam-break, but it happened anyway. Look up Louis' record, after winning the title it's gigantic string of KO.. KO... TKO..KO. Also, Ali lost to a prime Frazier but beat him when Frazier declined (of course Ali wasn't at his peak either) and according to most here (not me), Liston was far past his best for the Ali fights.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
What do you consider as being GOOD LOGIC? I'm curious as to how you go about making your ratings while avoiding the bias trap.
Saying that fighter A must be number 1 because he beat B, C, and D who are 7,8 and 9 is clearly not logical, but it is being presented here as not only logical but as something that is OBJECTIVE and not mere opinion.

That's what I'm responding to, the claim that those ratings are written in stone and not debatable.

The last thing in the world that I'd argue is that we can be completely objective and somehow come up with the "correct" ratings. It's that kind of thing that I'm arguing AGAINST.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum