Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #16
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: One-dimensional fighters that had good boxing skills?

Ottke
Sturm
Maske

all good to very good European style boxers.
bodhi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #17
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Ike Quartey...
Russell is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: One-dimensional fighters that had the good boxing skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
That's going back a few yrs.

MR.BILL
get in your time machine Mr.B..
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #19
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Winky
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
JohnnyB
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Tackie was before Tszyu. He boxed there as well.

I only post to the contrary when I think someone is wrong.

Hatton showed more variety against Tachie but would I call it boxing in the true sense of the word?

Hatton volume punched in that fight and even with that he did a nice bit of wrestling. I would call it a more cultured version of Hatton but I wouldn't stretch it to the boxer cathegory, Ricky was always an aggressive little man before he got beat. Just my opinion and I'm happy with it in this instance.
JohnnyB is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Fair enough but I think he Defo took a different approach in a few fights. I'm not saying he was well-rounded or anything
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Flo_Raiden
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I stumbled across this post on Yahoo answers about Muhammad Ali being a one dimensional fighter. What do you guys think?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Flo_Raiden is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Joey Archer did it with movement and a great jab. He claimed Robinson was only the second time he ever floored anybody. You didn't see him attacking on the front foot like Ali did over the first five against Mac Foster, or slip punches on the way inside. Griffith had the versatility to vary his approach to Joey, but Archer was always the same, stick and move. He was acknowledged to have a good right hand when he chose to unload it, but almost exclusively used it for defensive purposes.

Loughran was pretty consistent in the footage I've seen of him, whether against the 5'7" Walker or 6'2-1/2" Braddock (in Tommy's final two LHW Title defenses, both on film from 1929), two very different opponents with wildly disparate statures.

Nobody questions their skills, but an argument could be made that Joey and Tommy actually were one-dimensional according to some extant footage.

Pastrano might be argued as a candidate, but his two successful defenses of the LHW Title were atypically via stoppages over Downes and Peralta. Downes especially was a critical instance where Willie showed he could step up in a crucial situation when his title was in jeopardy, and unload with power.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I don't like 'one dimensional' only meaning come forward fighters.

Canto was one dimensional IMO. But he was brilliant at it.

On a much lower level, Ivan Calderon could only do one thing.

Loughran is a good shout Duo.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
I stumbled across this post on Yahoo answers about Muhammad Ali being a one dimensional fighter. What do you guys think?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Absolutely not! Watch him force the fight over the first five rounds against Mac Foster, attacking to try making good on a prediction of a fifth round knockout:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm1Gqs-syrc[/ame]

For body punching, he did some against Cleveland Williams, Terrell, Bugner, and a few others as a diversionary tactic, but the definitive example of him going downstairs was with Blue Lewis (another instance where Muhammad spent much time on the attack, flatfooted, going underneath on the taller man). Just because he didn't do it much doesn't mean he couldn't change his approach and initiate, and sufficient footage exists as evidence to this.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Canto was one dimensional IMO. But he was brilliant at it.
Miguel Canto-Jiro Takada is long overdue to make an appearance on youtube. I haven't seen it since Bass and Lederman's syndicated "Cavalcade of Boxing" series back around 1980. (Complete with commercials for Flash Gordon's newsletter, with ***y model seductively telling viewers, "All my men read 'Tonight's Boxing Program,' or they wear nothing at all!") This one was Canto's first world title defense in his native Meridia, and he put on a show, going after Takada for what would prove his final stoppage win, and only one in championship competition. (At one point, he unloaded a six hook combination from long range in mid ring.) Maybe Canto-Takada was the exception that proved the rule, but El Maestro certainly deviated a bit from the formula in that one.
Quote:
Loughran is a good shout Duo.
Further comments would be interesting. Tommy's body attack is well documented, and he was reliant on it against the likes of Greb, but I get the impression it was mostly from the outside, like Mustafa Muhammad's. When I was suggesting Loughran was one-dimensional, I was integrating his body attack into that consideration, as an element of his characteristic style rather than a different dimension from it.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #27
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 861

neither arguello nor canto were one-dimensional fighters. they had too much going for them skills-wise. wright is a good answer.
kopejh is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #28
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Miguel Canto-Jiro Takada is long overdue to make an appearance on youtube. I haven't seen it since Bass and Lederman's syndicated "Cavalcade of Boxing" series back around 1980. (Complete with commercials for Flash Gordon's newsletter, with ***y model seductively telling viewers, "All my men read 'Tonight's Boxing Program,' or they wear nothing at all!") This one was Canto's first world title defense in his native Meridia, and he put on a show, going after Takada for what would prove his final stoppage win, and only one in championship competition. (At one point, he unloaded a six hook combination from long range in mid ring.) Maybe Canto-Takada was the exception that proved the rule, but El Maestro certainly deviated a bit from the formula in that one.Further comments would be interesting. Tommy's body attack is well documented, and he was reliant on it against the likes of Greb, but I get the impression it was mostly from the outside, like Mustafa Muhammad's. When I was suggesting Loughran was one-dimensional, I was integrating his body attack into that consideration, as an element of his characteristic style rather than a different dimension from it.
Agreed with this. I had to refute these as 'different dimensions' before when a poster claimed that 'being able to pivot' and 'throwing body punches' meant Canto was not one dimensional. It all adds to the one dimension being utilised.

Again, cavemen aren't the only one dimensional fighters. Also, I will have a look for the Takada fight, don't think I have it though
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #29
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopejh View Post
neither arguello nor canto were one-dimensional fighters. they had too much going for them skills-wise. wright is a good answer.
How many different gameplans could Canto utilise?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #30
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Does Gene Tunney count on this one - only fought one way and in that also limited him self pretty much only to use of the jab and the straight right hand - but a masterful boxer and one of my all time favourites to watch - his jab was a thing of beauty - with a jab like that I guess you don't really need too much else - rarely have I seen him use hooks or uppercuts or overhand rights on film
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum