Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #91
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Thought you might get a kick out of a behind-the-scenes moment:

Joey Giardello was gonna fight Walter Cartier, a tough NY middleweight, in the main-go at the old Garden.

I was in the dressing room with a bud who was fightin’ on the undercard.

Walter was a very serious, intense guy -- strapping shoulders and chest -- trained religiously under the watchful eye of his twin brother at Stillman’s Gym. Walter was an orthodox, stand-up boxer, with a solid right hand. And you could see, under his brother’s encouragement he believed he could beat Joey, and be vaulted into the title picture.

He was getting his game face on. In deference the other fighter's spoke in whispers. All of a sudden, the locker room door burst open. It’s Giardello in an outrageously expensive camel’s hair coat tied at the waist -- cigar in his yap -- surrounded by an army of goombahs spilling into the room. Clanging, banging, commotion and noise.

Joey strode over to Cartier, who’s mouth was open, and gave’m a resounding slap on the back: “Hi ya doin', Walter?”

The blood drained from Cartier’s face. The TKO in the first round was a formality; Walter lost it in the dressing room.

Last edited by john garfield; 05-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #92
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Willie Pep was a floorshow every place he went.

All he wanted to do is laugh and stopped at nothing to break-up everybody in the gym -- had us all in stitches. He'd rib us -- make us feel like he was just one of the boys. With his Graziano slouch and pork-pie hat, he was better able to carry that off goofin’ on a street corner… never in the ring.

When he was at Stillman's, you could count on practical jokes and a florid Lou Stillman. But, he could do that because he was a dream in the ring. It was a religious experience watching him.

He took nothing serious. NOTHING. He came to the gym mostly, I’m convinced, to have a good time. It was an extension of being at the track or playing cards.

Pep never learned anything; it was all God given. His feet didn't touch the ground. He was all but invisible.

That 's the Pep I'd always seen at the height of his career.

After he hung’em up, briefly, he tried his hand at training.

I was at the 5th St. Gym in Miami. Willie was in the corner of a big, beefy heavyweight.

He was screaming at the heavy from the ring apron, getting redder and redder in the face. This wasn't stand-up comic Willie: This was more Vince Lombardi-Bobby Knight.

When the round ended, Pep went berserk -- attacked his fighter, screamed at him, punched him, whipped him with his pork-pie hat, kicked him in the shins; he had to be dragged off by three cornermen.

Pep just couldn't get it in his head that what he did, as natural as breathing, nobody else could.
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #93
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 0
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Thought you might get a kick out of a behind-the-scenes moment:

Joey Giardello was gonna fight Walter Cartier, a tough NY middleweight, in the main-go at the old Garden.

I was in the dressing room with a bud who was fightin’ on the undercard.

Walter was a very serious, intense guy -- strapping shoulders and chest -- trained religiously under the watchful eye of his twin brother at Stillman’s Gym. Walter was an orthodox, stand-up boxer, with a solid right hand. And you could see, under his brother’s encouragement, he believed he could beat Joey, and be vaulted into the title picture.

He was getting his game face on. In deference to him, the other fighter's spoke in whispers. All of a sudden, the locker room door burst open. It’s Giardello in an outrageously expensive camel’s hair coat tied at the waist -- cigar in his yap -- surrounded by an army of goombahs spilling into the room. Clinging, banging, commotion and noise.

Joey strode over to Cartier, who’s mouth was open, and gave’m a resounding slap on the back: “Hi ya doin', Walter?”

The blood drained from Cartier’s face. The TKO in the first round was a formality; Walter lost it in the dressing room.
Loving these stories JG, keep 'em coming
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #94
puertorricane
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Carolina PR
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 75
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Getting in the ring or being an ex boxer doesnt give you a license to think you know more than others. Some of the worst commentators i've seen on tv are ex boxers and trainers. Fans will be fans so just take their opinions as that their opinions. Nobody has played basketball at the level lebron, wade, or football like randy moss and terrell owens. Yet they are criticized all over the media and forums in the internet all the time.

I had over 40 amateur fights but that's not a reason to think i know more than others. Most of the boxers i've met and trainers have like a jr high or less education they box on instincts and repetitions not because they are smart. If you ask them to explain to you how to throw a jab or anything boxing related they will have a hard time explaining it, but they can show you how by doing it.

puertorricane is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #95
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,802
vCash: 122
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Started boxing in my late teens, did plenty of sparring but never had an am fight because I worked in pubs & nightclubs, nights & weekends. I loved the training & had enough fights at work to know (or think) I could handle myself.

I was in South Africa in 2002, doing a bit of travelling & revisiting a country I'd been to several times as a child. I was staying with family friends in Cape Town & out of curiosity went to visit a local gym, it was small & spartan but very friendly & welcoming, even though I was the only white guy there & a foreigner.

The 1st day I just hit pads, bags & skipped, the 2nd day I asked if I could spar & with a big smile the trainer said yes. I put on a big old pair of borrowed leather gloves that weighed a ton & hopped into the little ring. The guy they put me in with was tiny, about 5'4 & 9st (126lbs) & I had a good 6" & 20lbs advantage. All the locals gathered around the outside of the ropes & I was confident, I knew a few moves & thought I'd do ok.

I couldnt have been more wrong, I have never seen anyone move so fast. I dont think I laid a glove on him in the 1st round, much to everyones amusement. In the 2nd I dug in a left hook to the body & a few seconds later I was on my ass, I just about survived the 3rd but it was a humbling experience & I didnt go back.
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #96
Zeno
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeJAB View Post
My sophomore year in college, I was made to spar a guy who had crazy dimensional advantages over me for 5 rounds (5" height, 40lbs, 3" reach.) I'm naturally a "smaller guy" (I'm 5'9" and probably weighed about 145 at the time) and also an out-fighter, so I was kinda weary about it, but I had done it before and had actually hurt and floored a guy of similar stature in high school, but this was real sparring, not back-yard boxing.


I took my first real ass-kicking for the first 2 rounds. The guy was better at my style of fighting than I was, being the bigger, taller, longer fighter. I couldn't use my main tools to gain an advantage because I use my length when I fight (I have a 74" reach.) I was floored hard twice in the 2nd round, and he had me ready to go at the end of the round. I had to try and get inside if I had any hope of scoring and even so, he was much bigger than me so I'd certainly take damage in order to try and hand some out myself.


Round three started out the same, he worked me back with his longer jab and straight punches every time I tried to come in and attack, I had no answer for them and was dropped again. Something clicked after I got up though, I stopped going after him altogether and instead let him come to me. I started using feints, I kept my shoulder pinned to my chin, and I started using my speed to be a little more evasive rather than aggressive. I found his length didn't bother me as much at all once he was the aggressor, and I found that I'm actually a pretty decent defensive fighter when I actually defend myself. He started getting frustrated that he couldn't land anything like he had been before, and he started getting a little more wild and careless with his stuff. He abandoned his jabs and straight right hands, opting to instead try and finish me before either he tired out or I rallied. That allowed me to get inside finally, and I was able to finally hit him with some flush left hands at the end of the 3rd. He wasn't happy about it because he thought after the first 2.5 rounds he would have had an easy day's work.


He came out in the 4th looking to finish me again, and about a minute in he threw a jab-right hook combo at me that I must have had some type of vision for, because I ended up connecting with the prettiest counter left I still to this day have ever been able to pull off. I felt like I slipped the 1-2 before he even thought of throwing it. Seated him right on his ass. Most gratifying thing ever to watch, flooring a bigger guy who was kicking my ass until I learned how to make an in-ring adjustment.
Nice story. Well told.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #97
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 11,238
vCash: 75
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Willie Pep was a floorshow every place he went.

All he wanted to do is laugh and stopped at nothing to break-up everybody in the gym -- had us all in stitches. He'd rib us -- make us feel like he was just one of the boys. With his Graziano slouch and pork-pie hat, he was better able to carry that off goofin’ on a street corner… never in the ring.

When he was at Stillman's, you could count on practical jokes and a florid Lou Stillman. But, he could do that because he was a dream in the ring. It was a religious experience watching him.

He took nothing serious. NOTHING. He came to the gym mostly, I’m convinced, to have a good time. It was an extension of being at the track or playing cards.

Pep never learned anything; it was all God given. His feet didn't touch the ground. He was all but invisible.

That 's the Pep I'd always seen at the height of his career.

After he hung’em up, briefly, he tried his hand at training.

I was at the 5th St. Gym in Miami. Willie was in the corner of a big, beefy heavyweight.

He was screaming at the heavy from the ring apron, getting redder and redder in the face. This wasn't stand-up comic Willie: This was more Vince Lombardi-Bobby Knight.

When the round ended, Pep went berserk -- attacked his fighter, screamed at him, punched him, whipped him with his pork-pie hat, kicked him in the shins; he had to be dragged off by three cornermen.

Pep just couldn't get it in his head that what he did, as natural as breathing, nobody else could.

You come VERY highly reccomended by Ian Wigley, I can see why.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #98
Zeno
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingInsider View Post
I was 17, living in Palmdale California. Had an amatuer fight in the Greater L.A. area. i was a young punk, sporting a 25-2 record.

I remember vividly stepping in the ring, and the 1st round. The 2nd round changed my life forever.

About 20 to 30 seconds into the 2nd round, I was hit with a right hand. I woke up that night in the hospital; I had my Orbital Bone broke, , and a bone chip punctured my left eye.

I had a 57 hour surgery to remove the bone chip from my eye, ending my boxing career. From there, I got into the business / training side of boxing.

Since they day in 1993, til present day I have had 31 different surgeries to correct the vision in my left eye.
Damn. Really unfortunate
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #99
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

I trained at Stillman's with a rugged, undefeated pro middleweight. There was buzz about him as a contender.

He had a walk-in, crowd-pleasing style -- idolized Carmen Basilio, who was also handled by his manager, Al Braverman. At every opportunity, he pushed Braverman to introduce him to Basilio.

Finally, he got on a Basilio undercard in Syracuse and begged Braverman again to meet Carmen. So, Braverman arranged it. Carmen said hello, shook his hand and wished him luck.

When Basilio walked away, the fighter turned to Braverman: "I'm not gonna look like him, am I?"
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #100
Little Tyson
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 1284
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorricane View Post
Getting in the ring or being an ex boxer doesnt give you a license to think you know more than others. Some of the worst commentators i've seen on tv are ex boxers and trainers. Fans will be fans so just take their opinions as that their opinions. Nobody has played basketball at the level lebron, wade, or football like randy moss and terrell owens. Yet they are criticized all over the media and forums in the internet all the time.

I had over 40 amateur fights but that's not a reason to think i know more than others. Most of the boxers i've met and trainers have like a jr high or less education they box on instincts and repetitions not because they are smart. If you ask them to explain to you how to throw a jab or anything boxing related they will have a hard time explaining it, but they can show you how by doing it.

One of the best posts I've seen on this forum.
Little Tyson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #101
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

As a kid, I had a bud named Sal, who was a tough street fighter and gave it a shot as a pro heavyweight. No amateur experience--just balls and a big punch.

Sal worshiped at the shrine of Joe DiMaggio; everything out of his mouth was: Joe DiMaggio this and Joe DiMaggio that, and he was the best Italian athlete ever...and blah, blah, blah. It never stopped.

Every day Sal took a pounding sparring, and it was worse in the few prelims that he got.

When he packed-it-in, Sal opened an Italian restaurant in Queens, named after his idol: "Jolt'n Joe's." Every inch was covered with pictures and paintings of DiMaggio, newspaper clippings about him, and the wallpaper was Yankee pinstripes.

For years, the guys would go in Jolt'n Joe's for dinner every week, but you could hardly eat, with all Sal's DiMaggio stories.

I had a friend who did some business with people connected to DiMaggio, and I told him all about Sal and what a thrill it would be for him if DiMaggio would come to his restaurant.

Not too long after, the guy calls me back and says Joe will do it Friday at 8 P.M.

So, I round up all our friends and we make it our business to be in the restaurant early. We couldn't wait to see Sal's reaction when DiMaggio came in the door.

We all made small talk...but it was killing us. Finally, the door opens and there's DiMaggio--"Joe D," in person-- as dapper as you could imagine in a double-breasted sharkskin suit.

I thought Sal was gonna have a coronary. His mouth dropped open; his eyes went wide. He practically leaped over to where DiMaggio was: "Joe...Joe! This is the greatest dream of my life! I never thought I would ever meet you. Look... your pictures are everyplace! You've been my hero since I was kid!"

We had to swallow hard.

"Sit! sit! Joe. I make you something personally" Sal almost kissed us as he headed into the kitchen.

Joe was seated and waited. We were feeling wonderful seeing Sal's dream come true.

When Sal came out and placed the food on the table, he said to Joe, with his eyes glistening: "My son feels the same way about you that I do, Joe. Could you autograph this menu... to Paulie?"

DiMaggio looked up and said, "I get $5 for that."

All the air was sucked out of the room.

Sal looked at him... not believing what he heard, then hurled himself on top of DiMaggio, trying to strangle him, yelling, "YOU MISERABLE MUTHA-------!

It took all of us to pull him off DiMaggio. Sal kept trying to dive back at him. We were barely able to get DiMaggio out of there and back in his car.
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #102
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 75
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

In my second fight there were a lot of us in a medical room and they were shouting out two names at a time, the two that had been matched up. They shouted my name and this other lad. He stepped forward and I thought 'It can't be him, he's massive.' His legs were thicker, he was taller and his upper body looked thicker. So we weighed and he was only a kilo heavier than me. I was nervous as hell, we got in the ring a little while later and he beat me 8-4 on points. Two years later and I've had 20 fights, he's stopped boxing.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #103
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Looking forward to reading this thread properly... If anyone's got any questions feel free.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #104
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default where'd the personal story thread go?

It's been deleted without explanation
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #105
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,802
vCash: 122
Default Re: where'd the personal story thread go?

It has been moved to the training section of the forum Mr Garfield
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013