Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: More Impressive in his Prime?
RJJ 160 80.81%
Mayweather 38 19.19%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Forza
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: More Impressive in his Prime: RJJ or Mayweather?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Forza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
BodyBlaster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090

I cant pick really, two unbelievably gifted athletes, rendering top fighters absolutely useless.
Mayweather has a far more complete game, Roy only D was reflex, but Id say Roy was even more impressive offensively.

If having to chose, Id say Mayweather.
BodyBlaster is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
jawbreaker
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Couple of things, One Floyd is in his Prime. And what he is able to do is based mostly off of his skill and ring generalship, which is impressive. But, Roy was a physical phenom capable of doing things other fighters simply could not do or get away with.
jawbreaker is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
Vergilius
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
I can tell most of the kids saying jones didn't even watch boxing in the 90's or 00's and only watch youtube highlights of their favorite fights. Funny back when I watched RJJ on TNT channel nobody gave a shit about jones and most criticized his opposition and not finishing fights. RJJ was always a PPV stinker, nobody was a jones fan in jones "prime"

oh btw kids, its easy to look like superman when you fight cab drivers and washed up has beens. I could make brandon rios look like a skilled boxer if I put him in against the right opponent.
Not exactly fair. The best names on Roy's resume are future two HoF's in Toney and Hopkins (Trinidad was too small and not prime when Roy beat him) - and he fought those guys while they were in or close to their primes. There aren't any wins of that quality on Floyd's list - he's beaten Oscar, Mosley and Marquez but two of those were far from their primes and the last one was just too small. And Roy got that HW belt. Not to say Floyd isn't a great fighter, but imo he hasn't done enough compared to the size of his talent.
Vergilius is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I can tell most of the kids saying jones didn't even watch boxing in the 90's or 00's and only watch youtube highlights of their favorite fights. Funny back when I watched RJJ on TNT channel nobody gave a shit about jones and most criticized his opposition and not finishing fights. RJJ was always a PPV stinker, nobody was a jones fan in jones "prime"

oh btw kids, its easy to look like superman when you fight cab drivers and washed up has beens. I could make brandon rios look like a skilled boxer if I put him in against the right opponent.
This...................
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergilius View Post
Not exactly fair. The best names on Roy's resume are future two HoF's in Toney and Hopkins (Trinidad was too small and not prime when Roy beat him) - and he fought those guys while they were in or close to their primes. There aren't any wins of that quality on Floyd's list - he's beaten Oscar, Mosley and Marquez but two of those were far from their primes and the last one was just too small. And Roy got that HW belt. Not to say Floyd isn't a great fighter, but imo he hasn't done enough compared to the size of his talent.
Are you seriously gonna use Toney and a green Hopkins as a measuring stick to how great Jones was the same Toney that lose to Griffin twice
Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Xerant
Gotta Hate negociations!
ESB Addict

vCash: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post
Floyd easily, anybody who says Roy is a obvious highlight watcher, few remember how boring majority of his fights were and how he carried bums for no apparent
Thats it!
Xerant is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Anytime anyone brings up RJJ's competition as a counter is simply not being objective and because the topic has been beaten to death, its not worthy of consideration. Clearly however, RJJ has been much more impressive in his performances, particularly at 160-168. Power in both hands, superhuman speed, a very good understanding of baiting and distancing, and tenacity.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Mayweather for me. Never really been a fan of Jones, or followed him/watched enough of him.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

Quote:

Started watching boxing in 1986 as a little kid before I even understood what was going on.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
Forza
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
Anytime anyone brings up RJJ's competition as a counter is simply not being objective and because the topic has been beaten to death, its not worthy of consideration. Clearly however, RJJ has been much more impressive in his performances, particularly at 160-168. Power in both hands, superhuman speed, a very good understanding of baiting and distancing, and tenacity.
Against low opposition yes. Paulie malignaggi could have 50 K.O's put against the right type of fighter
Forza is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #27
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
Roy dominating bums, is the equivalent of NBA players going to Rucker park and looking like the GOAT, nothing more nothing less............................Not to mention roids, and a majority of his fights looking orchestrated, but I digress
Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #28
nastynas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

RJJ looked supernatural.
nastynas is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynas View Post
RJJ looked supernatural.
Maybe because he wasn't natural.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #30
Forza
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post
Roy dominating bums, is the equivalent of NBA players going to Rucker park and looking like the GOAT, nothing more nothing less............................Not to mention roids, and a majority of his fights looking orchestrated, but I digress
Exactly, these idiots just don't understand. I would look like kobe playing against a team of 3rd graders on a 7 foot hoop.
Forza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum