Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: More Impressive in his Prime?
RJJ 160 80.81%
Mayweather 38 19.19%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #61
Overhill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1242
Default Re: More Impressive in his Prime: RJJ or Mayweather?

Roy was definition of impressive.
Overhill is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #62
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

130-140 for Floyd by the way.

But I would favor Roy at his peak. I've never seen anyone with that type of ability.

Sums it up_____

An Interview With Boxing Historian Herbert G. Goldman

WHY ROY JONES, JR?

KD -- Some of the questions put forward by the CBZ scholars come to mind at this point.They’ve sent them to me by e-mail and I’ve printed them out and have them here. May I run a few by you?

HG -- Well, I’ll see what I can do, sure.

KD -- A couple of years ago you published your own greatest pound-for-pound list in International Boxing digest. You had Roy Jones Jr. at the top of your list. You’ve received much criticism from historians and others—typically older folks—What about Jones’ abilities and accomplishments prompted you to make such a bold statement? And how do you compare greatness in boxers? And would you still put Jones up at the top?

HG -- OK. My ranking of Jones in such a dramatic fashion, had to do not with his accomplishments but simply with his skills. He has more and greater skills than any fighter I’ve ever seen in my life. The way he can hook and go immediately to a straight punch, the way he can fire shots from all angles, his domination of every opponent he faces. I’ve never seen a comparable fighter in my life. I went out on a limb in making that pronouncement at that time. I don’t think I was that overboard. Now it’s true that Mr. Jones’ accomplishments in terms of being in great fights, in terms of being a super-star of his period do not begin to equal his skills. That’s the down side. Of course to make great fights it takes two to tango and Mr. Jones is so far above his competition that there are no great fights out there for him, certainly within his own weight classes. Now in terms of looking at the careers of certain fighters, certainly there are a number of men who outshone him in that respect. But I still maintain that Mr. Jones is the most skilfull, is the most over-powering man, pound-for-pound, in the history of boxing. I don’t think even Sugar Ray Robinson was as dominant over his opposition as Roy Jones has been. That takes nothing away from Sugar Ray. But I have never seen a phenomenon like Roy Jones. Of course Roy Jones knows it, too. He knows what he wants, what he doesn’t want. He’s a star. He won’t fight here. He will fight only here. He’s his own promoter, more or less. So he’s certainly not everyones’ ideal of what a fighter should be. But in terms of skills I think he’s the greatest.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #63
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3681

No fighter entertained like Roy in his prime.
Broxi is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #64
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

RJJ... Mayweather a G and more G than RJJ. But honestly, RJJ was just more dynamic and unstoppable in his prime against better opposition. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would honestly mention resumes in this discussion. Like others have said, there is NO one in Mayweathers resume that is on the level of skill, accomplishments, and were in their prime like Toney and Hopkins... period. The level of guys that Mayweather struggled with were Castillo, who was a very good fighter, however his level isn't even at someone like Hill, who was way more skilled and accomplished... who COULD make HoF status and RJJ didn't even struggle with him. Corley, another good fighter... but notches below castillo, this guy rocks a PRIME Mayweather and has some success in the beginning of the fight... I honestly dont even know who even matches up with corley on RJJ resume... certainly not Reggie Johnson,maybe Clinton Woods, who achieved more than him.

But again mayweather a G, and have beat some solid guys...
Snakefist is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #65
bernie4366
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefist View Post
RJJ... Mayweather a G and more G than RJJ. But honestly, RJJ was just more dynamic and unstoppable in his prime against better opposition. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would honestly mention resumes in this discussion. Like others have said, there is NO one in Mayweathers resume that is on the level of skill, accomplishments, and were in their prime like Toney and Hopkins... period. The level of guys that Mayweather struggled with were Castillo, who was a very good fighter, however his level isn't even at someone like Hill, who was way more skilled and accomplished... who COULD make HoF status and RJJ didn't even struggle with him. Corley, another good fighter... but notches below castillo, this guy rocks a PRIME Mayweather and has some success in the beginning of the fight... I honestly dont even know who even matches up with corley on RJJ resume... certainly not Reggie Johnson,maybe Clinton Woods, who achieved more than him.

But again mayweather a G, and have beat some solid guys...
Castillo's at least a whole class of fighter above Hill and p4p would have wiped out someone like DM, but other than that you're pretty much correct. Floyd IS a gangster, and I have no doubt he'd be rocking a red or blue bandanna if he wasn't a superstar athlete, but honestly **** all gangsters. They're idiots.
bernie4366 is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #66
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

easily Roy. He might not have faced the best when he could have, but he was awesome in every way. I wish we could have seen him put his skills to the test with guys like Benn or Eubank.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #67
Dracon
Frédéric Bastiat
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
easily Roy. He might not have faced the best when he could have, but he was awesome in every way. I wish we could have seen him put his skills to the test with guys like Benn or Eubank.
...Or Calzaghe, or McClellan, or that Eastern European LHW whose name I can't remember.
Dracon is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #68
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
...Or Calzaghe, or McClellan, or that Eastern European LHW whose name I can't remember.
Calzaghe was a career SMW who didn't bother to fight in the States during that time (prime/prime) and/or move up to LH where the LH and P4P Champion was...Roy Jones jr. You go to Roy. Roy doesn't come to you especially when you are the P4P best and hold a more prestigious title.

Dariusz Michalczewski was a bit different: He fought in the LH division but both couldn't decide on the fight. Problems with who fights where and for how much. So many different stories on the matter. Both can get the blame with this one.
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #69
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Floyd hasn't got ANYBODY on his resume that's a great win like the Toney or Hopkins wins.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #70
bernie4366
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
All guys who deliberately avoided coming to fight the acknowledged p4p champ in their weight division, who also happened to be the #1 p4p rated fighter in the world for a good portion of his reign. If they HAD come to see him, he would have disposed of them with ease and they'd be called taxi drivers today.

Amazing how people let calslappy and the eurobums get away with avoiding Jones. Can you imagine how the mexicans would have reacted if MAB, JMM or EM had avoided fighting the best??
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #71
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

what an absolute joke of a question, jones is not even in the same stratosphere as money mayweather.

1st of all mayweather fights the best where as jones was known as reluctant roy for choosing the path of least resistance, collecting trinket belts and never beating a lineal champion in his entire career.

secondly, roy jones was a steroid riddled disgrace. the 1st time roy ever got drug tested in his entire pro career, he was found to have 6 times the acceptable level of testosterone in his system. that was for a fight against a bum like richard hall, so anyone who thinks that was a 'one off' is living in a dream world, there is absolutely no way roy would think 'richard hall is a phenom, he's that good i'm gonna choose just to cheat in this fight only'. roy was caught red handed, juiced up against a bum, and will always be remembered as a cheat by true fans of the sport. I only judge roys career from the hall fight onwards when he was fighting clean. on the other hand, money mayweather demands osdt from his opponents, money is cleaning the sport up day by day.

thirdly, great fighters show their true colours in adversity. what did money do when he got caught by big shots from mosley and judah? what did money do when he ****ed his shoulder up v castillo? now you tell me what roy did when he faced adversity as a 'clean' fighter against tarver, johnson, and calzaghe - thats right roy folded like a lawn chair, where as money may came firing back like a true champion.

fourthly, true champions can adapt in the ring. money may can fight going backwards, he can fight going forwards, he can counter, he can lead, he can fight on the outside, he can fight in the pocket, money may is a master at adapting his style to find out his opponent with an outstanding ring IQ. now what did roy jones do when plan A didn't work? what was roy jones' plan B? thats right he didn't have one. roys plan B was to get his gormless face smashed to pieces and lay on the canvas while the referee counted to 13,392.
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #72
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

vCash: 2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
what an absolute joke of a question, jones is not even in the same stratosphere as money mayweather.

1st of all mayweather fights the best where as jones was known as reluctant roy for choosing the path of least resistance, collecting trinket belts and never beating a lineal champion in his entire career.

secondly, roy jones was a steroid riddled disgrace. the 1st time roy ever got drug tested in his entire pro career, he was found to have 6 times the acceptable level of testosterone in his system. that was for a fight against a bum like richard hall, so anyone who thinks that was a 'one off' is living in a dream world, there is absolutely no way roy would think 'richard hall is a phenom, he's that good i'm gonna choose just to cheat in this fight only'. roy was caught red handed, juiced up against a bum, and will always be remembered as a cheat by true fans of the sport. I only judge roys career from the hall fight onwards when he was fighting clean. on the other hand, money mayweather demands osdt from his opponents, money is cleaning the sport up day by day.

thirdly, great fighters show their true colours in adversity. what did money do when he got caught by big shots from mosley and judah? what did money do when he ****ed his shoulder up v castillo? now you tell me what roy did when he faced adversity as a 'clean' fighter against tarver, johnson, and calzaghe - thats right roy folded like a lawn chair, where as money may came firing back like a true champion.

fourthly, true champions can adapt in the ring. money may can fight going backwards, he can fight going forwards, he can counter, he can lead, he can fight on the outside, he can fight in the pocket, money may is a master at adapting his style to find out his opponent with an outstanding ring IQ. now what did roy jones do when plan A didn't work? what was roy jones' plan B? thats right he didn't have one. roys plan B was to get his gormless face smashed to pieces and lay on the canvas while the referee counted to 13,392.
This.
canucks9314 is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #73
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

HEADBANGER just dominated this thread with yet another definitive post.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #74
bernie4366
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
HEADBANGER just dominated this thread with yet another definitive post.
Every post Headbanger makes is a troll post, so everything he says is most likely the exact opposite of what he really thinks and the actual logical position.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #75
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
I can tell most of the kids saying jones didn't even watch boxing in the 90's or 00's and only watch youtube highlights of their favorite fights. Funny back when I watched RJJ on TNT channel nobody gave a shit about jones and most criticized his opposition and not finishing fights. RJJ was always a PPV stinker, nobody was a jones fan in jones "prime"

oh btw kids, its easy to look like superman when you fight cab drivers and washed up has beens. I could make brandon rios look like a skilled boxer if I put him in against the right opponent.
Jones competition is better than Mayweather's, so what does that say?

And btw you mean you weren't following boxing in Jones prime
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum