Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #76
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200
Default Re: The RING devalues itīs Championship - another sign of itīs decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pong View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
the ring has jumped the shark by the looks of it
Floyd should be #1... Pac is Catchweight King not P4P King, plus everyone & his dog knows he lost to Old Marquez.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #77
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Read it yesterday. Good article, Stonehands.
Thank you! If you agree with it, please consider leaving a comment at the end of it. I'm not looking for pats on the back so much as a demonstration of support for reform and the ideas outlined.

This may be the start of something.

Imagine boxing with one, ONE champion in every division and the rest contenders. I see no reason why we cannot change the culture to what it was intended to be, to what common sense screams it should be. Who says that the paying public needs to see "titlists" and "belt holders" dilute the concept of champion?

We can re-inject high regard for what they actually are, which is contenders and point them all towards the crown. The only crown.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #78
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I too liked it stone.

As i've always said, my only contention is relevance in today's climate.

But where it in my power to implement your system, I wouldn't hesitate as I think it's brilliant, if idealistic.

The ring is still the best we've got and by increasing their champions I think they will dilute the other alphabets.

Your way makes much more sense providing it is a crown everyone wants to wear.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #79
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I too liked it stone.

As i've always said, my only contention is relevance in today's climate.

But where it in my power to implement your system, I wouldn't hesitate as I think it's brilliant, if idealistic.

The ring is still the best we've got and by increasing their champions I think they will dilute the other alphabets.

Your way makes much more sense providing it is a crown everyone wants to wear.
The Ring's change in policy will not "dilute" the other alphabets. Making it easy to become a "champion" is exactly the problem, not the solution.

Let's have some straight talk: Golden Boy owns The Ring. They are a promotional company. They fired the editors at the helm and installed their own. That's two strikes right there but many kept an open mind. Me too.

But this move indicates one of two things ---either The Ring has been hopelessly compromised and is being used to the advantage of Golden Boy, -or- the new editors have not the faintest idea of what they are doing.

Either way, I think The Ring has lost its credibility. It cannot be reclaimed unless Golden Boy sells the magazine off and the current editorial board is replaced en masse. Short of that, new rankings are needed by a more trustworthy source.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #80
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
The Ring's change in policy will not "dilute" the other alphabets. Making it easy to become a "champion" is exactly the problem, not the solution.

Let's have some straight talk: Golden Boy owns The Ring. They are a promotional company. They fired the editors at the helm and installed their own. That's two strikes right there but many kept an open mind. Me too.

But this move indicates one of two things ---either The Ring has been hopelessly compromised and is being used to the advantage of Golden Boy, -or- the new editors have not the faintest idea of what they are doing.

Either way, I think The Ring has lost its credibility. It cannot be reclaimed unless Golden Boy sells the magazine off and the current editorial board is replaced en masse. Short of that, new rankings are needed by a more trustworthy source.
I disagree on both counts... For the ring to have the required pull in this day and age we really need the majority of divisions to have a champion.

I think golden boy stay out of it also. They've no real choice.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #81
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I disagree on both counts... For the ring to have the required pull in this day and age we really need the majority of divisions to have a champion.
--Everyone would like to see a single champion at the top of every division. But it will take time and pressure to overcome all of the nonsese that it's been in place for 50 years. In the meantime, there's a question for everyone to ask themselves.

Would you rather "more" phony champions or fewer real champions?

Quote:
I think golden boy stay out of it also. They've no real choice.
Golden Boy owns The Ring and hired its new editors. The new editors decide the rankings. You don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to follow the line. There aren't even any dots to connect- it's a straight line.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #82
Clarkson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pong View Post
Those new rules are daft.

It's an attempt to stay relevant by removing the only thing which made relevant in the first place.

It's a shame really as the principle behind it initially was bang on and it deserves more respect than federation belts.
Rosenthal is an idiot
Absolutely agree.
Clarkson is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #83
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

How many "signs" of decline to you need to see that the modern golden boy version sucks royally?
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum