Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
unique
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Boxing in phuket

Going to Thailand at Christmas. Im staying around Phuket. Can anyone recommend a good gym that they have used for boxing training.

I have found the Tiger mma gym that Katsidis uses. Any others?
unique is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479
Default Re: Boxing in phuket

PM Flea Man. or Bryn.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
raymann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
Going to Thailand at Christmas. Im staying around Phuket. Can anyone recommend a good gym that they have used for boxing training.

yeah brynn is yer man
raymann is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Bryn is not your man

Katsidis rarely trains out of Phuket, but pretty sure Tiger is also home to Roger Huerta and Mike Swick (MMA fighters) so not a bad shout at all.

Phuket is tourist orientated, so you'll find something no problem
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
unique
Journeyman

Nice one. Thanks
unique is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Freakzilla
Yooo fookin' Rat
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:

I think Katsidis trains out of RMB in Pattaya when he's in Thailand, although i understand he just basically uses the facilities and brings his own trainer.
I think he trained at Tiger a few years back because he'd fought one of the trainers there and was sparring him and a couple of others.

A lot of the Thai gyms have trainers who have boxed at a decent level as well (eg Tiger has a guy who fought Pacquaio, and another guy who'd been WBO or WBA champion)

There is a gym called Phuket Top Team on the same road that had a Russian Olympic boxing coach there but i think he may have left now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Bryn is not your man

Katsidis rarely trains out of Phuket, but pretty sure Tiger is also home to Roger Huerta and Mike Swick (MMA fighters) so not a bad shout at all.

Phuket is tourist orientated, so you'll find something no problem
Roger Huerta and Mike Swick are opening there own gym out there i believe which i'd imagine will be open by Christmas when Unique is heading there.
I'd imagine they will have decent boxing trainers there
Freakzilla is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:

Hello mate , I've trained at Tiger and Dragon (just down the road from Tiger) , obviously you know that Thailand is the home of Muay Thai and not boxing right ???

Depending on what your looking for determines where you train in Phuket i found , i went there with the intention of training just muay thai , therefore i was looking for good solid classes with good sparring , which i found at Dragon not Tiger

Boxing - there is a really good boxing coach at Tiger who is excellent on the pads , and the privates with him are buttons , literally buttons , well worth a look , his name is Aan i believe , because his pads were so good i found myself going to him for an hours private almost every evening , your cardio better be good though , he's ****in relentless !!!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Winfella, obviously you know that Thai's are expected to be able to compete in both?

I'll be hitting Sityodtong, Pattaya in November Might even get a glimpse of the great man himself (fingers crossed)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Winfella, obviously you know that Thai's are expected to be able to compete in both?

I'll be hitting Sityodtong, Pattaya in November Might even get a glimpse of the great man himself (fingers crossed)
Thai's learn to kick before they punch mate

LOL , lucky bastard , my training / travelling days are all but done (my one year old Daughter see's to that) but you never know , ill bear that in mind and might just come over to kick your ass for all the shit you dish out to me on here

thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
lozkina
Contender
ESB Senior Member

done 3 weeks in Thialand this year, lovely place , noticed gyms everywere
lozkina is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Hey Unique,

As a few of the fellas have noted Thailand isn't exactly the place you'd pick to train in international boxing, but you could do alot worse. The suggestions form the guys seem pretty sound, although if it were me I'd avoid Pattaya, Koh Samui, Chang Mai and Phuket all way too touristy with far to many distractions and a crap shoot interms of a dedicated trainer depending on how busy the gym is at that time of year.

I'd also suggest doing a bit of online reserch about contenders that train in and around Phuket or the near province of Phang Nga and consider training at their gyms as they usually lack good international sparring and would be happy for a new western sparring partner, you never know who you could wind up sparring out there you could be very surprised if you stray abit of the beaten track. Email FLea he's very knowledgable on Thai international boxers, he may be able to recommend you a fighter to track down form the south. (We've missed you in the MMA section recently Flea, you OK?)

In the Muay Thai ATG thread in the MMA forum I was recently asked about training in Thailand and did a post that went down pretty well, may be of use to you, I'll post it below. It's more from a MT persepctive but basically works in any Thai gym:

Gyms in Thailand, well they are all good if you know how to use them, although some gyms like popular beach resorts do get bloated and lose that certain something that made them great in the first place. Remember, Thai gyms little or small are not there to satisfy a recreational need for exercise like in the west, these gyms are here to create livelihoods for people trapped into poverty by turning them into tough competitive fighters for the toughest Muay Thai circuit in the world. If you take that on board you realise they all have something to offer you as they have to be good to survive.

A few tips for anyone wanting to train in Thailand.

Firstly, don’t go to one of the famous gyms that have big name superstar fighters, unless you are only in Thailand for a short time. These days with the increasing popularity of MT and certain MT fighters around the world they seem to have become shrines to named fighters and draw too much attention that can hurt your training unless you are an A class fighter. There is only so much time a pad man can give in the day and if the gym it crawling with pros, semi pros, hopeful amateurs, tourists and nutty Japanese K1 fans who fly over for the week just to watch guys train, it just stands to reason you ain’t going to get that dedicated instruction, atmosphere and time you need to develop and learn. There are thousands of Muay Thai gyms all over the country and contrary to popular belief many are willing to take on foreigners to make ends meet. Show a bit of sprit and skill and they’ll welcome you in.

Secondly, no matter how big or famous a fighter you are drop all that western ego macho bullshit that is attached to the western fight game the moment you get of the airplane, the Thais don’t like it or understand it. You are not entitled to train in their country, you are a guest. You are asking to go into their house for a period of time, take the gym name and become a brother, so all things considered meek humble politeness is the name of the game. The Thais appreciate it and you’ll be more approachable which encourages the fighters to share techniques with you.

Thirdly, you have to be a bit proactive with your training and think outside the box. Yes you are paying for your training but things like giving the pad man an extra 200 baht before training or buying a new pair of trainers for a 9 year old who can’t afford a pair or paying one of the ex-fighters electricity bill are worth their weight in gold for what will come back in help, respect, advice and goodwill from the fighters in the gym. Always be willing to learn, show spirit and interest ask plenty of questions and never lose your temper or get moody. Very often a Thai won’t correct your technique or teach you something new unless you ask him, he doesn’t want to make you feel small in the gym, ask him and he’ll be only too happy to show you. If you don’t speak Thai it’s not hard to use your body and hands to ask about technique. The youngest fighters in the gym can sometimes be the most useful to learn form, don’t underestimate their strength and skill, by the age of 14 most probably have more fights under their belt than you’ll ever have. I’ll never forget being thrown around the ring by a 14 year old half my size the first time I was really shown how the Thais clinch, ****in blew my mind!

Above all be kind, polite and generous. I don’t mean give all your money away, but help where you can and it won’t go unnoticed. Take the guys out for a beer after one of the guys wins a fight, go and play football with them after training share with them and I guarantee you’ll have the experience of your life and be part of something that’ll stay with you for life and oh…. I forgot….become a better fighter to!

One other thing, Rome wasn’t built in a day, as you know becoming a better fighter takes time and I don’t care how good you are and how long you’ve been training everything you have learnt technique wise just feels a little bit different in Thailand. It takes time to feel and pick up on slight differences and for people to open up to you. The more time you can give to your camp in Thailand the more benefits you’ll reap. It’s just common sense if u fly in for just three weeks you’re limited to how close you can get with your trainer and the fighters in the gym which will limit how much you actually learn. There’s nothing wrong with that but at least once I’d recommend a long camp. My first stint was for 6 months. It can get a bit rough and lonely at times, the Thais can be brutally honest about your development and that can depress you sometimes, but if you can stick it out you won’t regret it.

In terms of gyms to recommend, try this one Kiatphontip in Bangkok:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Knowing the passion and lifelong commitment of one the guys behind this gym has for all things Muay Thai you’ll get great honest authentic training and it won’t be crowded. It’s an up and coming gym with good fighters, a Ratchadamnern champ and has also trained some top flight foreigners so you should be welcomed well. prices on paper may seem a little steep to some, but remeber you get what you pay for in life and everything in Thailand is negotiable!

Hope that helps someone.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

I've been to Phuket before.

Every day you will see a car roaming the streets with a microphone playing a recorded message. "Thai boxing. Toooooonight"

You wont have any problem
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

for western boxing in Phuket look no further than Barry Robinson at Phuket Top Team

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5Qb1OerdE[/ame]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'm still around boranbkk
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Thai's learn to kick before they punch mate

LOL , lucky bastard , my training / travelling days are all but done (my one year old Daughter see's to that) but you never know , ill bear that in mind and might just come over to kick your ass for all the shit you dish out to me on here

True

You're a lot more experienced than me, you do MMA as well don't ya'? I'll pass
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum