boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
the-demon
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: hanging off frochs balls
Posts: 927
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Floyds is an obvious welterweight he has no business playing with middleweights,Martinez is after a payday that's it. Martinez has plenty of good match ups at middleweight to pursue instead of calling out little guys.
the-demon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 1419
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-demon View Post
Floyds is an obvious welterweight he has no business playing with middleweights,Martinez is after a payday that's it. Martinez has plenty of good match ups at middleweight to pursue instead of calling out little guys.
Yep, I don't think Floyd has any business near middle and Martinez has no business going below middle. Plenty fights out there for both guys in their own weights
chatty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Floyd can come in at 151 (I'd be interested to know how much he weighed on the night look at least the same size as Cotto) and beat Martinez.

It'd be more competitive than I initially thought (as last nights fight was) but Floyd would put on a positive showing IMO, as he also did last night.

Floyd would beat Sergio via competitive but clear decision I reckon. Martinez is open to the right hand, Floyd still has the sharpest in boxing.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Floyd can come in at 151 (I'd be interested to know how much he weighed on the night look at least the same size as Cotto) and beat Martinez.

It'd be more competitive than I initially thought (as last nights fight was) but Floyd would put on a positive showing IMO, as he also did last night.

Floyd would beat Sergio via competitive but clear decision I reckon. Martinez is open to the right hand, Floyd still has the sharpest in boxing.
Good ****ysis mate
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-demon View Post
Floyds is an obvious welterweight he has no business playing with middleweights,Martinez is after a payday that's it. Martinez has plenty of good match ups at middleweight to pursue instead of calling out little guys.
He's clearly comfortable around 11 stone. That's historically good weight for Middles, even against guys like Martinez weighing closer to 170.

An imposed weight restriction for Martinez, say 155 would not be ideal but if it gets the fight made, so be it. It's as good a test as Pacqiuao is as this stage IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 360
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Floyd can come in at 151 (I'd be interested to know how much he weighed on the night look at least the same size as Cotto) and beat Martinez.
According to the scene he came to the ring weighing 147
El Greeno is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
Good ****ysis mate
Thanks. Floyd is good enough to beat anyone in competitive fights around a certain scale IMO. Will he take his digs more now? It certainly seems he's less prone to coasting in his latest wave of fights (post Marquez) and it's brilliant to see.

I gave Cotto three rounds, but some of the rounds Floyd won because he dug deep and put shots together. I hated his pot shotting phase, he's getting back to what I loved about him at his very best.

A great win? No, but a quality performance against a solid operator. Cotto was never going to beat Floyd, but he applied himself as well as he could with a big deficit in hand and foot speed, and Floyd won the fight wherever it went.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
He's clearly comfortable around 11 stone. That's historically good weight for Middles, even against guys like Martinez weighing closer to 170.

An imposed weight restriction for Martinez, say 155 would not be ideal but if it gets the fight made, so be it. It's as good a test as Pacqiuao is as this stage IMO.

I think it will be a bigger test, just don't see the Pac fight being the contest it's been built up to be.............
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #24
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greeno View Post
According to the scene he came to the ring weighing 147
Eh? That's impossible.

I'd love it to be 157. That'd be a perfect weight to tackle Martinez IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Come on Col....how can you have a linear title on the line when the imposed weight limit is 154?
For this comment we all know the TS knows nothin about boxing
oli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 423
vCash: 164
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Eh? That's impossible.

I'd love it to be 157. That'd be a perfect weight to tackle Martinez IMO.

yeah floyd said he came in on fight night at 147 but thats obviously bull**** if he hit the scares at 151
richiedooley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 360
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Eh? That's impossible.

I'd love it to be 157. That'd be a perfect weight to tackle Martinez IMO.
It is probably not impossible but given how he looked next to Cotto in the ring, I don't particularly believe him
El Greeno is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greeno View Post
It is probably not impossible but given how he looked next to Cotto in the ring, I don't particularly believe him
Yeah that was my thinking as well. I was being polite but I felt Floyd looked bigger physically.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 1419
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Thanks. Floyd is good enough to beat anyone in competitive fights around a certain scale IMO. Will he take his digs more now? It certainly seems he's less prone to coasting in his latest wave of fights (post Marquez) and it's brilliant to see.

I gave Cotto three rounds, but some of the rounds Floyd won because he dug deep and put shots together. I hated his pot shotting phase, he's getting back to what I loved about him at his very best.

A great win? No, but a quality performance against a solid operator. Cotto was never going to beat Floyd, but he applied himself as well as he could with a big deficit in hand and foot speed, and Floyd won the fight wherever it went.
I dunno, you could see he felt Cotto's punches last night when he landed flush and Cotto landed a lot more than Floyd has taken in a while. One of the key factors here is whether Floyd could hurt Martinez and vice versa and I don't think Floyd could hurt Martinez whereas I'm pretty sure Martinez could hurt Floyd at the higher weight.

Martinez is a notoriously slow starter (barring Williams 2) so i could see Fl;oyd racking up a lead but I can see Martinez walking through him around the midway point and breaking him down. it's an intriguing fight but I'm not sure I can see Floyd moving up anymore than he has and I wouldn't want to see another weight drained zombie ala oscar in the Pacquaio fight taking a beat down from a faster boxer over a number of rounds.
chatty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: I want Mayweather v Martinez in the Autumn

Floyd has had his fair share of slow starts as well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015